The improvised techno thread

Thanks mate! :sunglasses::+1:

I recently got a Novation Drumstaton v2 . and hooked it up to my digitakt . The Novation having 8 individual outputs and every function midi cc-able , in combination with the Digitak’s sequencer , conditional trigs and lfo’s makes it one of the most versatile 808/909 clones out there . Loads of fun in a live improv situation . Don’t sleep on that cheap gear from the nineties in combination with Elektron sequencers !!

4 Likes

Sounds like the „classic“ A4+Rytm Duo. Or DT+DN+Rytm.

However Elektron machines are perfect for this task.

1 Like

Any nauts here who do improvised techno just on the AR?

Links to examples… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Two drummers can work as well, but at some point you want to add as synth sound.
Doesn’t have to be melodic , though - we’re doing techno here :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I still want Microtonic as full hardware drummer…

4 Likes

This is all AR.

10 Likes

So I bought an AR this week to go with my OT. I have pattens on both that I plan to mix and match, muting etc. to create some sort of live jam. One thing I’m trying to figure out is transitions. Is the easiest way to use the so-called ‘transition trick’ on the OT? Any other suggestions?

1 Like

With this setup, yes. It’s dead simple to setup. Do a quick forum search and you’ll find the relevant thread. :slight_smile:

I’m just setting up my gear at home from my show last night or else I’d link some YouTube videos/forum posts.

2 Likes

Here are some examples of me, improvizing on my Setup, as explained above

4 Likes

I can’t remember who made it, but there’s a Digitone Process video on YouTube. It’s very close to how I do this. You use one set of patterns for tracks, then another set for transitions. Keep them organized in a way that makes sense while you’re playing, so you know which one to hit between each main pattern. This of course only makes sense when using patterns as full tracks, so a lot of conditional logic and muting is probably necessary to extend the patterns.

It wouldn’t make sense in the context of song modes or chains really, so it really depends on how you’re going to create your set. Having two devices will help a lot though I think.

It might also be good to have general purpose patterns that have just kicks and other percussion that may be present in more than one track in your set, so you can bounce to those, let them play, to give you time to set up the next mix.

I haven’t created a set like this in a while, but I did one on just the Digitakt using these principles a while back. It went smoothly enough on a single device, that having a second would be luxury territory :wink:

1 Like

Here is some Improvised Techno from my friend and me. I do the drums, mixing and FX on the Octa + Digitakt. My friend Moe Ferris does the “melodic” stuff with his Modular. Erica Synth Acid Box 3 on the Master for some warming and crunching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJEg6iw3Ngk

3 Likes

I’m getting more and more drawn in to modular. So many interesting modules and fx… Is it naive of me to think that I can have the flexibility of modular in a ‘regular’ synth? Something like a virus?

You are probably using “modular” as a collective term for a set of hardware formats. You can achieve “the flexibility of modular” in any form of hardware or software. What do you actually want to do?

3 Likes

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to eurorack and it’s applicability to live performance and improvisation. The ability to patch live and the vast possibilities the format offers. Most of the live and improvised techno I have seen lately involves a modular/eurorack case. Given the cost involved, I am reluctant to go down that path and instead am considering a complex synth as an alternative (ie. a virus ti2).

OK, so you can achieve “the flexibility of eurorack” in any form of hardware or software. Which modules and effects do you regard as “interesting”? What do you actually want to achieve? Would be controlling the Virus TI2 using its front panel, software, or a hardware controller? How would you sequence it?

1 Like

Worth looking at synths with advanced modulation matrixes = “hardware” patching.
Virus is quite advanced, DSI Evolver, Waldorf Blofeld, Micromonsta may fit the bill, but as @PeterHanes says you may want a MIDI controller for example to give more hands on control of them.

2 Likes

I’ll add that most of the live sets and jams I’ve seen recently with euroracks in, people don’t repatch much. Of course you can, and people do, but it seems more common to create the instruenet(s) you want to perform on ahead of time.

Remember that “repatching” covers a lot of ground from “adding an LFO” to “taking your synth out of the set” via “going from full to half-speed drums”.

As was already asked: what do you want to do?

2 Likes

I’ve spent the afternoon researching and I think what I want is a hydrasynth :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have a hydrasynth, an evolver, and a pro 3. The modulation matrix on each of these synths is comprehensive enough to feel modular like in flexibility. Nearly anything can be routed to nearly anything else. The hydra and pro 3 even have cv ports so modules could be added if desired via the matrix. Sure you’re not using all of those eye catching patch cables but on the other hand, you don’t have to use a bunch of patch cables.

2 Likes