The Music of Orbital is Pretty Fantastic

timely and accurate assessment.
the sound harkens back to the middle of nowhere, which I found to be particularly dreary.

Saw them at the Barrowlands in ‘99. Epic venue. Epic show.

Have seen them many times since at gigs n festivals, always a great show … but also the feeling that if you saw them once you saw them a 100 times.

The Belinda Carlisle / Bon Jovi mashup being mostly responsible for this familiar feeling! Sounds great… but there must be other possibilities…

New orbital album out today, it’s a mixed bag but I like these two tracks

2 Likes

Seem to be getting cheesier with successive tours, but still well worth watching if you haven’t seen them before.

Not sure i’ll be buying tickets for their shows anymore. I did see them twice last year, at a festival and the Hac gig, but wouldn’t buy a ticket just to see them again. They’ve mostly replaced their early classics, or re-worked them to less than classic status. No Belinda Carlisle sample now was a bonus and some decent-ish new material, but i’m keeping my classic Orbital records from 89- early 90s, but not buying new material as it doesn’t measure up imo apart from maybe ‘Where Is It Going?’ in 2012.

I guess they’ve got to appeal to a newer wider audience than just us old school ravers.

1 Like

Pretty much agree, although I have got tickets for Nottingham in April, I’ve seen every album tour since 94.

1 Like

there doing a live AMA rn:

4 Likes

I guess I missed it?
showing as private.

1 Like

Saw orbital tonight in Nottingham, absolutely rammed, don’t thing I’ve ever been a gig that was so packed, Out there somewhere in the encore was amazing, don’t think I’ve seen them perform that live since 96

5 Likes

That’s an epic journey of a track. Wild choice for an encore.

1 Like

Yeah some different tracks in the set this year including nothing left, did some new tracks although I’m not a big fan of the new album, the new abnormal was good live and dirty rat, overall better than the last time I saw them and also did the original version of satan

4 Likes

Yeah, saw them in Cambridge the other night, and you summed it up well. The new stuff is ok, but felt a bit like filler between the old stuff. Really cool selection of old tracks though

Satan was bloody great of course

Complete opposite in Cambridge… Everybody was at the back and up the front was looooooooads of room!

1 Like

Yeah I realise they want to play new stuff but their early albums contain so many good tracks, also there were no tracks from the last album monsters exist nothing from the blue album, the altogether or snivilisation.

For me a live show with the best tracks from green to middle of knowhere would be epic.
Green - chime, steel cube idolatry, Belfast
Brown - walk now, impact, halcyon, lush , planet of the shapes
Snivilisation - most of it (the reason Glastonbury 94 was so good cos they played most of this album)
Insides - girl with the sun in her head, the box, out there somewhere
Middle of knowhere - way out, spare parts express

For me that would be an epic gig

1 Like