The One That Got Away

In 1994 or so I got the electronic music bug. Unfortunately I was just a little too much of a knucklehead to actually make it happen. I can be tenacious if not bright so over the next five years I bought myself a few sweet pieces before finally giving up in 2001. I won’t bore you with too many details but 20some years ago I had the following:

Ensoniq EPS16+
OG Nord Lead
Roland R70
Roland SH101
Arp Solus
Electribe ER-1

Although I’ve made no moves to replace any of them I really wish I would have held on to the Nord and the ER-1. The Nord sounded so great despite my ineptitude and the ER-1 is the one piece of gear on that whole list that I sort of understood and even had a bit of a bond with. Had I just held on for another year or two I’d have figured out how to use the internet to educate myself like I’ve been doing for the past three years or so. Oh well, we live and we learn.

Obviously if I was all nostalgic I could probably own any/all of those in fairly short order. But I’m really not and would rather just move forward than try to show these old devices that I got what it takes now. You can never go home :0)

What sweet gear got away from you? Do you think you’ll try to get it back?

3 Likes

Yamaha CS-80.

Getting it back. No chance at £25k-£50K

4 Likes

You’re kidding

1 Like

No. I had it way back in the early 80’s.

2 Likes

Wow! Really?

2 Likes

Stop rubbing it in :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good lord! That is absolutely the unobtainium at this point.

4 Likes

Your not helping :frowning:

4 Likes

Well at least you lived your CS-80’s I’ll get my coat.

4 Likes

It weighed a ton and i remember helping the buyer down a few stairs. I was an idiot i know.

2 Likes

The Yamaha FS1R was one that might fit the bill here. Not quite CS80 levels mind you…

I was just starting out in a band and had a Yamaha PSR. I was maybe 15/16 at the time and to persuade me to nail my exams my Dad offered to get me something if I did well. Of all the things I could get, I went for the FS1R. In hindsight, a terrible choice for a band that played indie music but as I was young, had heaps of time and loved weird noises I was all over that thing and making some great patches from scratch. We based entire songs around some of those patches - no evidence of any of that exists any longer :joy:

Anyway, the band broke up, a kid came along and I needed to pay for a pram so away went the FS1R. Totally regretted it and later picked one up for way more than I sold it for and… totally couldn’t be arsed with it any longer :joy: Modern tech has simply ruined me and I need presets now to get going.

To be young and free again…

4 Likes

I’m trying to sell a Music Man Valentine at the moment because I rarely play it, but the new prices keep going up, and I think it might be a better investment to keep it than to sell it.

Plus, it’s the kind of guitar that doesn’t seem to keep a good resale price. I’ve been trying to knock it out at €2,000-ish, against a new price of well over €3k.

Which is to say, in the light of this thread, I might just hold on to it.

1 Like

Fully working MS-10 for 400 euros. I was the first to make an offer, but the seller sidelined me in favour of someone he knew. Fucker.

1 Like

A nice and varied list here:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=one%20that%20got%20away

3 Likes

ha, that’s why i keep everything i bought. nothing goes away … because you never know.
once my gear (except for drums) still fits one closet – it’s fine.
(currently it occupies just a half of closet, due to my obsession with small desktop units)

1 Like

Are closets all the same size?

2 Likes

well, mine is 1.8 x 1.1 x 0.6 m – not even big, just average.

2 Likes

Cool. Good idea as well.

1 Like

Ouch. You killed this thread with the first reply.

6 Likes

Sorry i didnt mean to. But timing is everything here🙂

1 Like