The Syntakt Feature Request Thread

Maybe the Digitone needs a sampler too. Oh and while we’re at it, can we get analog engines for the OT?

edit: lol it’s funny how flagging posts kinda has the opposite effect for me, like “ooh, what did they say?” :laughing:

6 Likes

I think @Tchu and @AdamJay and others have mentioned that they like layering analogue / digital sounds by copying a track’s sequence and pasting onto another track(often on vertically aligned tracks like 1/9). It would be great to be able to place trigs that automatically appear on another track in real time, thus avoiding the need to copy and paste any changes that are made. Maybe even have the option to mirror certain page settings as well, like filter / envelope. It would effectively glue multiple engines into the same voice. Dual VCO + Wavetable (unison chord or a more custom wavetable machine release?) with 4 LFOs… Yes Please!

4 Likes

I’m honestly surprised that linking tracks isn’t a common feature for all Elektron machines. MD and MnM had it, Digitone has it, but that’s it? It’s one of the few omissions I’ve not understood.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something, but why even have a kb fold OFF mode if you don’t allow the out-of-scale notes to be played? Just make fold always-on.

Alternatively, I would much prefer to be able to play the “wrong” notes in unfolded scale mode, but with the in-scale notes lit more brightly, as they are currently.

1 Like

Crazy… I didn’t realize this was possible

There’s a fair amount of cognitive overhead in remembering which pads are which notes for the scale you have selected in fold mode. Having the familiar layout is easier if you change scales often, with the fold mode available when you feel you understand the layout. I agree that there could be config options in “fold off” mode for either playing out-of-scale notes (because accidentals are sometimes useful), mapping them to the nearest in-scale note, or simply ignoring them.

2 Likes

Another suggestion…

I’d personally prefer that the mixer pages show tracks 1,2,3,4 and below them 9,10,11,12. Then have tracks 5,6,7,8 on the separate page. Am I the only one who would prefer this? I find that my mind associates the 8 level layouts with their physical position, more so than their track number.

5 Likes

SY Atmo :
We have engines for Drums and Synthesizers,
but nothing specific to make atmospheric pads (Ambient , Intro , Drone )

SY Impact : Striking metal

SY FM :
I understand hardware segmentation, so a Digitone track is unlikely,
but we need an FM synthesizer to do crazy/experimental/unconventional stuff.

Master Compressor : It seems so obvious !

8 Likes

There is an FM already though.
It’s only 2 op and super simple but there is one.

There has to be a compressor coming. Seems like a taktful thing to do :wink:

3 Likes

Import M:C presets. Actually that may be a Transfer feature.

2 Likes

vs. Mastercompressor:
my strong guess is, they hold it back to be released in time with some big booth/Event in a year or so. PR planning

+1 a wavetable machine would be the shitz ( with wave import/play possibility from wave edit, woohoo )
+1 on a additional sample machine / Not DT alike. limit the sampling time to play short one shots ( like HiHats, Cymbals, Congas, etc). Also limit the number of sample slots.
Leave out the fancier stuff like loop etc.
To make it a even more complete Drummachine (w.o. stepping on other Elektron Boxes shoes)

4 Likes

VO-6 machine
DIGIPRO machines

4 Likes

This is a thread about what features we would like to see right? So what is wrong with me mentioning a feature I would like? Obviously it doesn’t sample… it would be cool if it could because I find the sounds it makes very monotonous already and it just came out… But whatever enjoy.

If you think about the history of music-making, the default behavior of musicians and ensembles has been to move forward to the next section, not to continually loop a section until cued otherwise.

Yet requests for song mode are frequently met with dismissive replies claiming that is not the “intended” function of the box.

A global setting, causing each pattern to move immediately to the next pattern, that’d be a pretty simple implementation of song mode, imo.

I’ve gotten pretty good at entering pattern chains on my Digitone. So, no song mode is not a deal breaker. But still, Elektron, come on, guys!

1 Like

A lot of requests for a master compressor. Where do you think it could be placed in the signal chain? In the Analog FX Block, then the compressor would need to be analog and is that even possible with a firmware update? Unless it is somehow a digitally controlled amp type compressor, maybe?

Ability to chose what tracks are effected by Ctrl All. Maybe just have the percussive tracks effected by control all and leave some tracks you’ve set aside as melodic instruments unaffected for when you go bonkers on envelopes and would like to prevent long melodic notes from being muted if you go low on decay and release for quick blippy drum breaks.

Well, obviously you can’t add analog components with a firmware update :slightly_smiling_face: But it could be that there is an analog compressor already in the hardware but not enabled (yet) in the firmware.

Looking at the signal chain it isn’t clear to me if a digital compressor would be possible, as that would require an extra AD -> DA step at the end of the chain:

But the Analog FX can also be sent to the digital reverb/delay and overbridge / usb also has a digital signal of the output so it could be that this AD -> DA conversion is already happening at the end of the chain (main mix?). In that case a digital compressor could be added in a future firmware update.

Some might argue that the syntakt is not a musician but an instrument. It is definitely a bit in between though. Personally I feel that if Elektron were going to put a song mode in the digi boxes they would have done so, so I don’t bother asking for it. I guess it is ultimately a difference in what we request for features. Some request the features they want and others request the features they thing are realistic or within the scope of the device.

1 Like

DT, DN, ST, AH, A4. That’s 5 boxes I would’ve bought (again) if they all had songmode.

I wanna create music without a PC and I’m not a live performer either. Therefor songmode = a must.

IIRC Elektron never really told in a direct way why songmode isn’t a priority or did they?
I can make my own conclusion that these boxes are mostly focused on live performance.
But why not focus on both?

If Elektron made a new box that’s also a USB hub/audio interface/mixer they make live performers happy but also those who don’t want a computer. And I’ll be buying 6 Elektron boxes!

Maybe it’s just not possible because of hardware limitations? If only Elektron gave us clear answer.

2 Likes

:thup: Velocity to Vol switch

The ability (a toggle) to break the link between velocity and amp level

A new option in /Sound/Setup/ in line with other Elektron devices …
… usually shown as

VELOCITY TO VOL ON/OFF

Why ?

The need (option) for a sequence-able parameter (velocity) that allows parameter modulation (there are four destinations in velocity mod), without killing volume too (which can still be p-locked anyway)

This gives more us options for no overhead, allowing the (velocity) modifiers to be not only about dynamics, but alternatively about timbre - handy as velocity is the only ‘performance’ modulation parameter the user can sequence internally

19 Likes