Thinking of going back in the box

I keep meaning to properly try Logic. Still got 60 days left! But I sort of keep thinking “why bother?” when I’m swift enough on Ableton and got my new iPad set up to play with.

But Logic does whisper in my ear and tempt me…

1 Like

Computer v hardware for me just depends on how I feel in the morning.

Right now, I’m into using a computer.

2 Likes

I’m way more productive ITB, but being able to twist physical knobs allows me to create more unique sounds. I try to employ both in a harmonious marriage.

3 Likes

I think, after reading a lot of what was written here, people should focus more on what works good for THEM instead of judging others!

4 Likes

Funny, I use Logic and occasionally think that exact same thing about Ableton :laughing:

1 Like

Logic is awesome. I’ve been using it 98, it’s a LOT easier to use now than it was back then (could be that I’m just used to it) Considered switching to try something different…(ableton?, bitwig?) but I’m so embedded and Logic does so much. Also optimized for Apple. :+1:t6:
And with the new clips thing coming (providing this is real)…I’m locked in.

Don’t know about the legitimacy of this image.
Logics environment makes it REALLY hard to change. No need to change if shit just werks.

I almost switched to Paris in 2001…glad I didn’t. No idea what happened to that. But it was pretty sick at the time.

1 Like

Logic can’t be beat for the price (used it for several years) but I always hated the interface

You should also look at Presonus Studio One 4. It’s very intuitive and powerfull.

There’s basically 2 things that would tip me over the edge with Logic.

1. A clips based approach. I’m sure something like Studio One added this after years of a linear approach. It’s not Ableton but it’d be a halfway house I could probably live with happily.
  2. A cross platform release on iPad. I have no doubt my Pro could handle the sort of song writing and sets I do and I really like the thought of working on something on the go then for it to sync quickly with my MBP at home via iCloud. Or work using stock synths/samples then get home and pick and choose the 3rd party vst you want, etc.

The other thing holding me back is that I just know it’d be my luck that Logic 11 would release as soon as I bought it :joy: But as I can get it at a student rate, the package is still pretty sweet.

2 Likes

They actually DO have a “cross plat” with iPad. Garage band. Garage band is Logic lite. Garage band sessions, tho it has less features, will load into Logic. :+1:t6:

I don’t know if that is enough to meet yer reqs tho.

1 Like

My thoughts going back to the OP; in-the-box has always worked well for me. I love doing micro editing and having virtually limitless options. There’s lots of people that feel differently about it but this is how I prefer to do it.

My advice to people working in the box (having been on both sides of the argument) is this: If you can afford it, work with legitimately purchased stuff. Pirated stuff can really make things a nightmare. In many cases buying your software gets those pesky bugs fixed with on-the-house updates.

never pirated. its worth purchase for updates and support.

hybrid is probably most fun for me. computer + hardware. keeps it interesting…for me anyways. :slight_smile:

1 Like

very true :slight_smile:

Also, another cool thing to consider for you is the Logic Remote app, which I just started looking at yesterday (it’s part of an appendix to that course book I posted).

I don’t have an iPad (which has even more functionality), but even with an iPhone it’s pretty cool as it turns your phone into a channel slider, has a touch surface for stock audio instruments, a remote transport control interface for recording with instruments, AND a customizable quick button page to allow you to quickly perform certain tasks with one button push.

If they deepen the integration with the iPad in the next update, I’d be tempted to buy one again.

Be warned though, this program is so deep. When I hear about people’s brains exploding trying to learn the OT, that’s basically what Logic has been like for me. It’s honestly amazing what’s built into the program stock.

Most people on this board are Ableton users, so there are a lot of discussions about Ableton, but I’m thinking of starting a thread for people to post Logic tips and videos and stuff. I’ve come across a bunch of good stuff on YouTube that I’d like to discuss with people and share, and I’d love to see some of the techniques and tricks that other people are using.

Coming from being out of the box forever, I feel like I’ve gone from piloting a little speedboat to taking the helm of a giant battleship (“What?! There’s a helipad on this thing?!”).

1 Like

Besides ableton session view specific things, most of the stuff can be done in any DAW as well. I used Logic for some years before ableton and general DAW techniques are pretty much interchangable

1 Like

Yeah aware of that. If the Logic picture is genuine (it did come from an Apple site…) then I would imagine it would be some sort of version of that Garageband approach to things.

1 Like

And yes to the Remote app too. On my to do list - might even get to it tomorrow. My mate is a big supporter of it.

It’s funny you mention Youtube vids. When I downloaded the demo, it fried my brain and I was thinking I couldn’t be gassed trying to learn another DAW. What was the point and all that. Then I watched a 30 minute basic beginner video that crammed heaps into its run time. Things like the Apple loops that I couldn’t find before suddenly became very easy to spot in a total “duh, that’s where they are!” sort of way.

In a way, I kind of wish I had happened across it years ago when I was a bit more committed to learning and starting anew with music as I think it would’ve been a treat back then. Still, like I say, for £200 I could get Logic and Final Cut. Both are super supported in terms of learning material and both would give me something of a sort of hobby to dive in to. Both also overkill too but £200 for that education package is a pretty nice deal.

1 Like

Touchable pro is pretty decent for ableton if you have an ipad

1 Like

I used to do only the hardware thing and use a DAW to capture everything. It was either frustrating to keep everything together or it was messy- depending on the amount of effort I felt like putting in.

And then, whenever it was time to record I got really stressed out I had a mental checklist of the things I would do to keep the track progressing the way I thought would be most appropriate. Which I of course would forget and have to start all over again.

ITB I don’t have to worry about those things. I can more carefully navigate the track to its most purposeful state. Which is so exciting to me.

Granted it lacks that getup and go quirkiness that Elektron provides, you can so whimsically create a meditative/contemplative/weird loop that inspires the things around it- but I’m not feeling influenced by the presented workflow into a repetitive output. All that’s really missing is the direct sound design. For the most part Komplete Kontrol helps with that. Not the same, but close

5 Likes

I get lost in all the configuration in hardware, remembering where to save everything etc. My hardware is basically now a sound source for the DAW. So kind of expensive just for that. I would like to sell some gear but not quite there yet to let go of it.

2 Likes