Thinking of going back in the box

Sculpting sound is more fun on hardware. If I were to do any hardware work I’d just make sounds and sample them…until I realize that the LFO needs to be just a little bit faster and then curse.

1 Like

Yep it is more fun on hardware.

1 Like

When you hear something like a Dfam coercing through your speakers it’s hard to imagine a software plugin that would come close. I’ve been using hardware for over 20 years and have developed a way of working that suits me. I really don’t get caught up in too many details and I don’t worry too much about saving presets. I prefer to get a something interesting going then hit record on my daw and grab the audio. A little cut and paste in post and on to the next. Working with hardware gives me structure and the ability to go extreme with performance movements that would be hard to achieve itb. Plus the sound, 2 years ago I started going hard for modular and I can’t deny the sound coming from some of these modules can’t be topped. Honestly I would be good and happy if I could produce on a computer and get the same results but I’m too far gone I’m afraid. I’m a gearhead for life. :tongue: :3lektron:

6 Likes

I just made this one 100% in the box

4 Likes

6 Likes

Sounds good too me! Nice track!

1 Like

Very nice. Love so much this tb303 line. What plug did you use ?

that‘s true.
plugins can sound great in their own way though. And some can come close.
DFAM is special anyway, a lot of hardware doesn‘t come close.
And for me Diva and Repro sound better than many hardware analogs I tried (never owned vintage synths though)

But that leads back to the old analog vs digital discussions.
I agree DFAM sounds huge :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I experienced the analog marketing with an Arturia Minibrute. Yes it’s fully analog, but sounded not better than a VST (and maybe worst). Same things with many “cheap” mono analog.
But when you go up and spend a little more on true analog synth with his own soul it’s not the same game.

Diva is so good. So glad I bought it on a whim back when it went on sale!

2 Likes

I think the discussion about sound is as old as digital instruments are. Coming from the guitar, there is always that tube vs. simulation discussion. I think it is the same with synths. You might be hearing a difference between the original a clone and an emulation if you hear them side by side, but as soon as it is in the mix, there isn’t a big one for sure, and we need to understand one thing:
The audience doesn’t give a s***t, how a song was made :wink:

3 Likes

QQ - where did you get the book from? Just wondering if anywhere is cheaper than Amazon right now… Feels like being back at uni again seeing learning material at £35+! :joy:

I got it on Amazon. It was indeed pricey, but I wanted a paper copy to be able to keep as a reference manual. In the end, I didn’t think it was such a bad deal as it took me maybe 15-20 hours to get through and there is so much in there that I’ll be referring back to it for a while. YMMV.

FYI, once you get it you have to register your copy with the publisher on their site and then you can download a folder with all of the files. It’s a hands on thing, so in each lesson you’ll actually be going in and doing everything step-by-step instead of just reading about it (making your own Apple loops out of samples, vocal pitch corrections, automation, flex time, etc).

Even though it says “pro”, it really is just a basic primer. If there was another course book after that I would buy it in an instant. I found it quite fun and relaxing to be honest. It was a good way to take my mind off of the craziness in the world.

I’m actually sitting here making a Logic template at the moment. I’m going to try to participate in some weekly “beat battles” like I used to as a way to put some of that knowledge to good use.

1 Like

I might just take the plunge while I have 2 months of the trial left. I’ve found I’m watching 2-3 hours of TV with the missus most nights. We actually commented on it this morning and both sort of realised it was a gigantic waste! So a night or two a week I’m going to do something else - whether it be writing music, playing games, or learning something new. For £35 odd quid this seems ideal.

Will have more of a play with Logic later. I got the Logic Remote working nice in the end. Had nasty latency over wifi but turning the iPad’s wifi off and forcing the connection through USB worked very nicely. I was pleasantly surprised that you can browse NI presets from the app too. Small things like that make a difference! And the drummer thing (is it just called Drummer?!) is heaps of fun. I’m sure you can use your own kits/samples with it which sounds idea; for me - I do love an Linndrum kit…!

Anyway, it’s slowly winning me round…

1 Like

Click bait title, but this shows how to set up drummer to use any other drum programs you might have (Battery, Maschine, etc) instead of the stock kits. It’s kind of a neat trick.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a neat trick! I haven’t touched Maschine in forever so this would be nice to get me back into using some of the kits in there. Nice kits they are too.

1 Like

I agree and I’ll use software on occasion. Mostly Ableton instruments because I can’t bring myself to buy a soft synth when I already have a enough hardware. I’m actually thinking of turning my old laptop into a sound module on its own and sequence it with my OT. I’m definitely not a hardware vs software guy, but I cannot deny my connection to hardware.
Speaking of software, I’m trying to remember this drum machine software I saw last year that looked cool. It does a lot of glitchy effects and neat melodic stuff as well. It’s not Microtonic or Giest, it was just released last year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just figured it out it’s Suger Bytes Drumcomputer. Anyone have experience with this software?

Ya Drummer is pretty sweet. Saw a vid that was showing that once you load Drummer and have your beat, you can unload Drummer and play whatever else you want.
Kinda cool for whipping up ideas.

whenever i see someone advertise their music as DAWless i find myself tempted to walk to the centre of the city and start licking publicly used surfaces

9 Likes