Thread for consoling each other

Be sure to get a slow blow fuse as a replacement too, in the past I’ve tried to replace a clear glass fuse with a similar rated ‘normal’ fuse and it’ll likely just pop immediately.

The wire in the fuse isn’t always visibly broken either, if you have one, pop a meter on it and check for continuity. I’ve had fuses that looked like they were still intact but actually weren’t.

3 Likes

BTW - you will want to be careful of static electricity. One hand on the frame of the T-Res while you are pulling and replacing the fuse should be sufficient. Avoid wearing fuzzy sweaters or other clothing that quickly build up static charges. You don’t need a mat or a wrist strap or anything like that, you just need to ensure that you and the device have the same ground potential, which you will achieve by putting your left (or right, if you are a leftie) hand on the metal frame.

DO NOT plug in the device to wall power while you are changing the fuse. It is a bit of a bear to open and close the t-res, but with those exposed power switch pins, I’d recommend putting the case back on before powering it up.

3 Likes

The samples I used for about half of a song I really wanted to put on my upcoming album are just gone - including one-off improvisations that I loved. I tried looking in the exact spot Ableton points to, and they’re just not there. I haven’t moved or deleted anything in that folder in years. They aren’t in the Ableton project folder either. It isn’t the end of the world, I’ve settled on other songs but it’s a bummer. There’s another song I really wanted to use which I just can’t find the damn project file (it’s from four years, one hard drive and a different DAW ago) and the mix needs a ton of work - so I just won’t be releasing that one at all.

In another track I wanted to tweak some synth lines I did with a few modules (ALM MCO, MI Rings), but I sold them both while wrongly assuming I wouldn’t want to come back to that song at all. It has been a painful lesson that I need to be careful what gear I sell, and be absolutely sure I’m done using something/ won’t want it again in the future.

4 Likes

Sorry for turning your thread into T-Resonator repair class, but it seems like this is consistent with the spirit of your post. :innocent:

2 Likes

My guess is the big price drop with the Opsix is largely because of the release of Opsix Native. Another factor maybe overestimation of demand. I’d be miffed if I bought a digital synth and then the company released a VST version just a couple of years later. But in the way of consolation, the converters in HW Opsix surely yield a specific character: I remember some DX-7 users saying Native Instruments’ FM 7 and 8 just not having the mojo of the original.

1 Like

Can I get some consolation because the Opsix is on sale for 57% off, but I’m about to move, and I already have a Digitone Keys?

I thought not.

2 Likes

Man, I’m going to be moving halfway across the US in about a year and I’m already stressing about the logistics - especially the music gear.

1 Like

My move is first back to Canada for a bit, and then to Europe. And the music gear is my biggest concern!

1 Like

Depending on the gear, it might cheaper to sell and rebuy in Europe (depending on which country), and with some machines, would also cut out the need to f about with power converters

4 Likes

when this subject comes up, this is always what I suggest. keep the rare/hard to find things. sell and re-purchase the things that are easy to come by. unless they’re sufficiently small and easy/cheap to transport.

1 Like

The DK is the biggest thing I have. A few other Elektron boxes, some smaller devices purchased second-hand at deep discount, modular which comes apart (no way could I get all of these modules back!). I think everything has dual power so it’s just a matter of adapters.

@ddiamond84, I don’t know if this is any consolation, but you made my day today. I am a sucker for FM synthesis and had no idea there was a blowout Opsix sale today until I read your post here, so thank you!

5 Likes

I’ve spent the last 15 years in a profession I hate and I have no idea what to do instead.

11 Likes

That sucks and is super relatable. I didn’t want to throw a :heart: on your comment cause that feels weird.

3 Likes

I have bought and sold thousands and thousands of dollars worth of music gear and never made a song, anything close to resembling a song.

This is after spending thousands of dollars buying and selling astronomy gear to really never ever learning much about the stars.

I have issues.

10 Likes

Talk to a Career Counselor or Psychologist. They should be able to give you some good ideas of what to check out, or how to better like what you currently do, probably in one session.

It works. I’ve done it and recommend it.

11 Likes

One word… Celsius. :joy::weary:

I think there is a certain emphasis on producing finished tracks that is a little confining. It’s fine if that is one’s goal or one’s livelihood. But I can work with and listen to my modular for an hour or more, and it is an ephemeral experience. Next time it will sound different. I bought this equipment for me, not to impress others.

If, on the other hand, your gear just sits there unused, then you might actually have issues.

13 Likes

Synths as art / decoration can be cheaper than “real” art. Particularly if you consider resale value. Also, if you are building a space station control panel, you can pick up broken gear with working lights and save a few bucks there.

2 Likes

If you’re actually turning it on so the lights flash, that probably counts as use.

3 Likes