Toraiz as-1

I just purchased a Toraiz AS-1, and I am loving the sound so far. :partying_face:

4 Likes

Nope. But, I use OSC Sync for some Bass patches (nothing wild) when I want to eliminate the phasing for punchy punctuated Bass.

I donā€™t waste time at all patching directly on the AS1, since I work things out on the Prophet6, then punch the values into the AS1 Soundtower editor, which is almost identical to the P6 interface. If you can stand using a computer, the AS1 is flipping easy to tweak.

Said this before but editing the AS-1 is a breeze compared to most menu-based synthsā€¦ you can easily jump between sections and there arenā€™t a ton of parameters in each (compared to, say, a TX81Z or WS) PLUS assigning the ones you want to tweak for live performance to the slider is so easy (wish it had more than 7 steps but oh wellā€¦)
But to me such considerations are secondary to the sound. It is simply the best sounding monosynth under $1k out there.

Absolutely. What also helps is that itā€™s based on two encoders on either side of the display. You select your parameter with the left one, edit te value with the right one.

1 Like

The weird thing to me is that DSI (/Sequential now) fixed this on the Pro2, it was the same issue.

Huh, I didnā€™t know that! Odd. Even though I guess pioneer are ultimately responsible for the firmware, but youā€™d think that DSI/Sequential would want it fixed, itā€™s got Daveā€™s name on the box.

I sold my Prophet 6 a while back as Iā€™d had a lot of use with it. But needed some cash for other gear. Bought the Bro 1 which is excellent, but now Iā€™ve switched to the AS1. The lack of patch storage is an issue for me after having the Behringer MS101, and Boog as well. I often would just leave a patch on the synth for a song I was working on, and not explore the synth, fearing patch recall problems.
One good thing about the AS1 for me is there being a basic Lemur patch for editing it on my iPad. Link

2 Likes

Same thing for me going from the P6 to AS-1.

Need to get that Lemur patch!

Thinking of picking one up today. Sounds incredible. But trying to decide if I should save for the sequential 3 instead. Have played both. Both sound incredible but 500 vs 1600 is no small matter!

Anyone still using and loving their as-1?

Yeah, I love mine still, sounds amazing. However, if I had the space and the cash I would definitely get a Pro 3 as well!

Still the best monosynth under $1k

1 Like

Every DSI synth has had some manner of sync issueā€”be it with the sequencer, the arp, the LFOā€™s, or what have youā€”and in most cases, said issues were never fixed, only to see the product in question discontinued mid conversation. If anything, they just keep building on the same faulty foundation.

It was absolutely no surprise that the AS-1 had sync issues, and it is even less surprising that it has yet to be fixed. Not hating, just sayingā€¦ :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Probably a stupid question, but this doesnā€™t have any overlap with an ob6 right? Totally different sounds?

Iā€™ve been singing the AS-1 praises all over this thread for like 2 years now and Iā€™m still using mine on the regular. Hands down the best sounding mono synth under $1k. Itā€™s so incredibly underrated and overlooked.

2 Likes

bUt dAvE smItH InveNteD mIDi

4 Likes

LOLā€¦

Indeed he did. :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

From the demos, the as-1 does sound very good, but in the bracket of sub 1k fixed architecture monos, I reckon the Doepfer Dark Energy is also excellent sounding - but no patch memory. Different character, but defs on a par in terms of sound quality. Iā€™ve played with a MK1, not the MK2 or 3

IMO not in the same league. Had the Mk1 and Mk2 and in terms of oscillators and filters there is no comparison. DEā€™s are fun for weird leads and special fx noises, and the occasional baseline, but overall sound really thin and reedy in comparison to the AS-1.

1 Like

This thing is so so so fun for jamming. I had one a while ago and returned it. So glad I got it back. The menu diving is so quick on it the way itā€™s laid out, and the sound is really special.

Iā€™ve played the sequential pro 3 and I love this thing just as much. I know they arenā€™t really related but I was deciding what Iā€™d rather have. Glad I chose this for now.

Does anyone use a compact MIDI controller with their AS-1? If so, which one? I am thinking about getting one, maybe a MIDI Twister Fighter or a Faderfox EC4 (and I could also use them with my Micromonsta and other stuff). I have the CodeKnobs and Soundtower editors which work pretty well, but physical knobs/faders would be better.

3 Likes