Toraiz as-1

Im looking at one for sale near me… it sounds good from demos I’ve heard…
How do you find the lack of controls I’m considering getting one…
I’ve already got the Korg monologue as a mono…

Partly thanks to this thread look what tuned up the other day:

Joint best sounding mono I have, equally tied with Studio Electronics ATC-1.

Might get another.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Super easy to get around once you know the menu system. You can jump to different sections so it’s really fast, and the touchstrip is really useful for live performance (can assign multiple parameters)…
Plus for sequencing with Elektrons every parameter can be cc controlled.

3 Likes

That‘s my plan!

(Excuse the toes.)

4 Likes

It’s a gate way drug. I bought one of these because I liked the way the Behringer pro 1 sounded and wanted a more complete midi implementation. I loved the way it sounded so much six months later, I bought a Prophet 6.

Watch out :wink:

5 Likes

Ah, I’ve already got an OB-6.

Does that make me Prophet 6 immune?

I have the ob6 and as-1 and yes I think it makes me immune at least :slight_smile:

I wish there was an as-1 like synth for the ob6!

2 Likes

Other than being analog dream machines, I feel like the OB6 and the Prophet 6 sound pretty different from each other, no?

I prefer the sound of the Prophet 6 but that’s just me. (Both sound great though!)

2 Likes

Anyone using a battery pack with the AS-1 or know if it is possible?

Should definitely be possible, it draws 5V, 1500mA, so that’s pretty much mobile phone power bank territory. MyVolts sells a USB to DC cable, you could plug that into a power bank that gives 5V and >1500mA and you should be game.

EDIT: bought a used AS-1 yesterday in excellent condition. The price was so good that I took the plunge despite the interface and the syncing issues. Man, the sound of this thing, especially for pad-ish sounds…makes me wonder how transcendental a Prophet 6 must be, playing some of these sounds polyphonically.
It really is very complementary to the A4 and my Dreadbox synths - albeit some overlap in usage scenario with the NYX, but the character is completely different, so I’m OK with keeping both :slight_smile:

I’m contemplating either hooking up a dedicated Midi controller to the AS-1 OR use the Digitakt’s midi tracks to map out the most meaningful controls.

In any case, I’m surprised by the quality of both Toraiz products I bought yesterday, especially given the frustration online.

5 Likes

Same reaction from me! It doesn’t get to do basslines…it’s too far up the pecking order for that! It’s reserved for leads and pads👍

1 Like

yes, great for pads and leads. I like mono pads a lot generally. Or just the second oscillator tunes to a nice intervall…

it does big bass as well. almost too big sometimes :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I do. It works flawlessly with a cheap usb to 4mm plug.

1 Like

We’ve been saying that on here for years now :slight_smile: It just sounds crazy good. And better than the P6 actually.

2 Likes

if it really sounds better than the p6 I finally can cross the p6 from my wishlist :wink:

They were able to crank up the gainstaging in the transition from poly to mono so sounds fuller, also like the fx better

3 Likes

Keep an eye on Mannys, but on their eBay store. Every now and then they drop the price. I got both of mine that way under $500.

Not complaining, I have nothing negative to say about the AS-1, but I find a big volume drop using fx on the AS-1, but not on the P6. And the AS-1 has no reverb.

From memory the AS-1 BBD and distortion fx sound better to me, but never compared them side by side with the Prophet directly. Also wasn’t particularly a fan of the P6 verb.

1 Like

I liked the P6’s pan spread knob that widens the voices across the Stereo field. A lot of the presets profit from that on the P6.
Since the AS1 has a different gain staging and still a Stereo Out, i wonder If this is only because of the FX which are permanently in the signal path, doing a mono Signal converting into a stereo Signal, or If its true stereo signal path…?

EDIT: Found the answer. Its a mono signal getting converted into stereo through the FX.

Signal-flow

1 Like

I was thinking about buying a Prophet 6 desktop, but I consider a waste of money spending around €2500 for just one synth, so, at the beginning of july, I bought my AS-1 on discount from a music shop here in Italy and now I’m busy transforming my Nord Stage 3 in an evolved Prophet 6, thanks to the Nord Sample Editor :grimacing:

4 Likes