Toraiz as-1

Anyone using a Faderfox EC4 with the AS-1 or maybe you can recommend an alternative controller?

1 Like

I did. It works well.

1 Like

Thanks. I have several devices I think could benefit from the EC4 so it might be.a worthwhile investment. Love the sound of the AS-1 ā€¦ the interface, not so much. Do you know if it is possible to update values on the EC4 when patches are changed on the AS-1?

Some have suggested itā€™s possible by running a midi from the AS-1 back into the EC4. Not sure what function you would have to setup in the EC4, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s not too tough to figure out, or find on the internetz.

How did you set the various parameters on the EC4 using NRPN?

I bought one EC4, but Iā€™m thinking of sending it back, 'cause not everything is working correctly: for example VCO1 frequency is jumping directly from C0 to C5; Pulsewidth at maximun on the AS-1 is reaching only 16-17 on the EC4 screen, the same happens with VCO1 shape.

Also some parameters on the AS-1 go from 0 to 255, but on the EC-4 you can insert at max 127.

I used CC. I also fiddled about with the knobs parameters and range. That may be what you have to do. I didnā€™t experience your problem when programming mine. Iā€™d offer some more guidance, but no longer have the AS-1 in possession.

I would have definitely got an AS-1, especially for these $325-ish used prices, if it had at least one p-lockable modulation lane (like the SE-01, for instance).

Iā€™m usually a proponent of letting a tool be what it is, and appreciating what it has, versus being annoyed with what it is lacking.
But itā€™s such a strong and powerful synth for the money, and having to rely on another sequencer (when it already has one built in) for sequencing filter cutoff or the mod wheel assignment is indeed a frustrating omission, for me.
Are AS-1 owners at all frustrated by this?

Iā€™m hopeful that my Typon, arriving on Monday, will give me what I always wanted from the AS-1, and frustrated that Pioneerā€™s track record for such an update to an existing product is not a good one.

1 Like

Interesting take. Personally, Iā€™ve never used the built in sequencer. Iā€™ve just always had a more centralized sequencer in my setup. The sound of this synth is just so fantastic and powerful I canā€™t imagine getting rid of it now. I keep a pretty minimal collection of hardware and the AS-1 has been the one instrument that has stayed. Do you typically use every instrumentā€™s independent sequencer as opposed to using something like an Octatrack as the brain?

2 Likes

Yea. I do a fair bit of parameter sequencing and modulation, and I am a sucker for a good groove box. So I am drawn to synths with these types of sequencers.

When I have to use a separate sequencer (OT, or Ableton), I find myself sequencing VSTs with it instead, because so much parameter automation becomes a bit less time consuming for me, with software.

Iā€™m also drawn to portability, and the AS-1ā€™s 5V DC input has always been appealing for battery powered, standalone work with the onboard sequencer.

1 Like

Interesting, I was thinking exactly like you.

I ve wanted an AS-1 for a couple years now, only nothing materialized on the resale market, came close on a few deals here and thereā€¦

I also have a Typhon coming in on monday, couldnt be happier.

I think that my AS-1 research days are behind me now, now lets focus on feeding that Octatrack with the Typhonā€¦

1 Like

I hear you guys re the sequencer, the Toraiz AS-1ā€™s sequencer is fairly rudimentary.

BUT the sound is something else, and easily makes up for the limited sequencer. For me personally, sound comes first and I have plenty of sequencing options (OT, DT, SP16, MPC Live, A4, iPad) to use and augment any synth.

I do understand the groovebox focus of course, just want to say, when it comes to sound, the AS-1 is unlike any other compact mono synth module I know of or have tried.

To me the biggest let down is the interface, cause a synth like that wants to be tweaked, but thanks to thorough Midi (NRPN) implementation, it can still be p-locked with eg the OT and with something like a Faderfox EC4 or an Evolution UC33e next to it, itā€™s very tweakable.

2 Likes

Yes and no.
But mostly No because I got my first AS-1 as a replacement for the Minitaur. If the AS-1 had half its functionality itā€™d still blow the Minitaur away (and I get all the low frequency at high resonance levels).
Itā€™s a pity the sequencer does hiccup, and the keys are only useful as shortcuts to my favourite patches. But the few knobs are enough to sweep and giggle live.
I could easily survive with just my two AS-1ā€™s and the AnalogRytm. And the SquarpPyramid.

1 Like

I never used the sequencer of my AS-1ā€¦ its main purpose is to feed my Nord Stage 3 with its sound!

Btw I will send back to the shop my EC4, I have no problems using just two knobs when making a patch.

Wanna sell it on to me?

1 Like

Ok, finally i got one too s/hā€¦

Since i hardly couldnĀ“t find any ambient or Berlin schoolish demo, I created some berlin ambient noodles, which i threw together in Ableton Live. All factory presets. Just added a few FX in Live.

Very underrated synth!

9 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yes, he made a few, but thats almost it. He and all you peoples comments here, made me decide to get one.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the best, right? Interface niggles aside, there isnā€™t a better sounding analog monosynth under $1k.

1 Like

It is. But rivals are close. Moog Sirin/Minitaur/Grandmother is in the league but by far not as feature rich or versatile.
Also Dreadbox Typhon is now in there, though i donā€™t know, how good it Sounds.

Have a Typhon on the way, very curious how it compares. Some killer demos out there.

As much as I love Moog synthsā€¦ even when compared side-by-side with some way more expensive ones, to my ears the AS-1 just sounds better.

1 Like