Toraiz as-1

I had several Moogs over the past decades, and regarding newer Moogs, i have to agree.

1 Like

The Grandmother is a beast though, donā€™t you think? I think itā€™s the most tempting of all the current Moogs for me.

I agree that the AS-1 sounds phenomenal.

Yes GM is superb, but if deskspace is an issue, and you need something more versatile with preset savingā€¦

1 Like

from what I heard so far, the subphattys, sub37 etc. do not transport theā€œmoog soundā€œ as the grandmother does. I also thought the mother 32 sounded nicer than the sub37

AS-1 sounds completely different to all of them of course :slightly_smiling_face:

Completely agree with all points! :slight_smile: I actually borrowed a Moog Mother 32 from a friend and was blown away by the sound of the oscillator / filterā€¦so I looked into the ā€œbig boysā€, Sub37 etcā€¦and none of them gave me that deep, creamy, satisfying sound. Especially the Sub37 sounds much more ā€œaggressiveā€ to my ears.

The Grandmother on the other hand just sounds lovely. I donā€™t own any Moog gear, but the Mother 32 or the GM would be my first choices today.

What makes the AS-1 so special is its ā€œeleganceā€ and ā€œhigh fidelityā€ sound for a lack of better words. It just has a depth and beauty to it, that is stunning. Itā€™s in a way the best parts of the DSI sound in one nice compact synth.

3 Likes

Iā€™m done with Moog. I love the idea to love them, but I donā€™t really love them.

3 Likes

Also, I have an AS-1 on its way :sunglasses:

10 Likes

You guys talked me into it :flushed:

4 Likes

Pleasure to return the favour lol

1 Like

AS-1 is great. Iā€™m not good with itā€™s parameter menus nor do I enjoy the sequencer restart when switching patches BUT despite those two grievances, I have found that the number of basslines Iā€™ve created, recorded & used is FAR great from this machine than from my Shruthi & Minitaur.

Why? The sound, as everyone above has referenced.

You should be very happy with it. My current setup is:

AS-1 - Bass
OB-6 - Pads/Texture
Machine + Tanzbar - Rhythym
Minilogue or Shruthi - Leads

Soon to be:
Erebus or Typhon - Leads

3 Likes

First, I love the Prophet sound. So thereā€™s that. Also, I noticed the Toraiz SP-16 has a dedicated AS-1 track with parameters mapped to the AS-1, enabling you to edit sounds and switch patches directly from the SP-16. Itā€™s my hoping that I wonā€™t ever have to touch the AS-1 and pretend the SP-16 has an awesome mono synth to go with its funky sampler.

7 Likes

the macro controls are still pretty convenient for live knob twiddling. the good thing is, you can turn them however you like, it will always sound good

Thatā€™s my experience with the Prophet 6 as well. I did try to make it sound bad, but failed. It made me look bad, though, since when something sounds this good, them playing skills of mine were put to the test and not always in my favour.

But I blamed it on the firmware and refered to the Tempest debauchle to anyone and everyone unfortunate enough to be around and listen to my shit.

3 Likes

lord praise the quantisation

3 Likes

I already sent it backā€¦ check on MusicStore.de if it will appear as B-Stock.

I also bought an AS-1 today after following this thread for a while. Sits nicely alongside the DT+DN. Havenā€™t had much time with it yet - sound and build quality seems top notch, the UI I have to get used toā€¦

3 Likes

Tbh itā€™s not that onerous to get about in the menu. Enjoy! Itā€™s a cracking little synthšŸ™‚

1 Like

Yeah, the knob navigation is actually really quick once you get the hang of skipping to each section of parameters.

The software for the AS-1 is so much better to use than the synth itself that it resulted in me using the software so much that I was like, ā€œI might as well save like $400 and just use a soft snyth instead.ā€

2 Likes

Very true. I have been using LFO Tool to send a fuck load of modulation to it via the VST. Crazy stuff.