Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

Are there M4L/Ableton MIDI plugs that can do what the T1 does? I have some Euclidian sequencers in M4L, but I like the melody/phrase function, the chords…etc.

New firmware out today. They added quite a few new features. A good mix of performance stuff (control all options) and adding pattern chains to the mix along with the cycles options + randomness all over gives this bad boy even longer evolving sequence capabilities.

5 Likes

Improvements

• Multi track selection

• Multiple tracks can now be edited at once, by selecting multiple tracks. Knobs make relative changes across tracks. Pressing the [ VALUE ] buttons in parameter menus sets all selected tracks to the same value.
  • Global pattern editing

• When holding [ PATTERN ], changes are applied to all tracks in the pattern. Knobs make relative changes across tracks. Pressing the [ VALUE ] buttons in parameter menus sets all tracks to the same value.
  • Global cycles editing

• Outside the ( CYCLES ) menu, changes to tracks apply to all cycles. Knobs make relative changes across cycles. Pressing the [ VALUE ] buttons in parameter menus sets all cycles to the same value, effectively removing cycles on the selected parameter.
  • Pattern chain

• In the pattern menu, pattern chains can be created by selecting multiple patterns. The selected patterns will be played in sequence according to their ( QUANTIZE ) value. Pattern chains are saved in banks. Existing chains on other banks can be played by pressing the [ PATTERN ] button after selecting a bank in the [ BANK ] menu.
  • Copy parameter

• Parameter values can be copied along with their associated cycles. Press [CTRL] + [CLEAR] + (KNOB) to copy a parameter. The parameter is pasted by pressing the destination tracks similarly to pasting a track.
  • Tempo visualization

• When holding or double tapping the ( TEMPO ) knob, the tempo is visualized on the [ VALUE ] buttons. The tempo range is 26-280 BPM where each [ VALUE ] button corresponds to 16 BPM.
  • Clipboard

• Allows for copying tracks and parameters between patterns and patterns between banks.

• Press [ CTRL ] + [ CLEAR ] + double tap [ TRACK ] / [ PATTERN ] / ( KNOB) to add a track/pattern/parameter to the clipboard. Items from the clipboard can be pasted using [ CLEAR ] + [ TRACK ] / [ PATTERN ].

• Random

• The variations introduced by turning the ( RANDOM ) knob are now much more subtle for low values of random variation.

• Randomness applied to polyphonic tracks has been reworked which changes randomness behaviour on previously saved banks on the upper notes entered in the ( PITCH ) menu.

• When double tapping the ( CYCLES ) knob, the cycles editing mode is active until the ( CYCLES ) knob is pressed again or by pressing [ BANKS ].

• When pressing [ CLEAR ] in the ( LENGTH ) menu, the loop point is quantized to the track’s original timeline instead of the current step position.

• Program change messages are now sent 1/8th note before any pattern change.

• The hotspot created by T-1 can now be configured in T-1 Config.

• The reset input/output can now be configured in both run and reset modes.

• Improved synchronization with Ableton Link, setting the Link offset is now more responsive.

• Values on sliders in T-1 Config can now be entered manually by clicking the number box.

• The saved networks in T-1 Config can now be removed/forgotten.

4 Likes

had no idea the tru could be a second midi out!

Sounds great! I have requested a number of those features :clap: :grinning:

4 Likes

Nice :partying_face:

Guesstimating: Back in stock in November. I want one. GAS. But I also need new monitors…

They fixed the midi out 2 bug, which means I don’t need a midi thru box anymore :grinning:

Global editing is gonna be very useful too.

1 Like

Seems 1.1.1 is out. Not sure what it mean, prob some hot fixes

2 Likes

It’s worth a look at the Probability Pack (via Ableton store, free with Suite I believe). Strokes by Cong Burn maybe worth a look too. These devices and maybe building them into a rack that gives you macros of things you’d like to interact with would get you some of the way. Strokes in particular.

There’s a Euclidean sequencer by…:wanna say alkman that is worth a look too, you can sync multiple instances across a project.

May be worth considering a specific template or use of a MIDI buss sort of arrangement to get you going in this direction. I think I was introduced to the concept of a MIDI buss by an ELPHNT tutorial…possibly the one about generative concepts.

3 Likes

There were a number of bugs reported in 1.1 on the Facebook group, Lars mentioned there was a hotfix coming to address them - this is probably it.

2 Likes

Strokes - wow…that is something right there. I may need to buy that.

Thank you.

T-1 update v1.1 walkthrough

Walkthrough showcasing the new features introduced in the T-1 firmware update v1.1 Highlights in the update are multitrack editing, relative cycles editing, pattern chain, copy parameter, and clipboard. Download the newest version of T-1 Config to get the update. T-1 Config and an updated manual can be found on our website [Torso Electronics | Resources]

0:00 Introduction
0:17 Multitrack editing
3:19 Relative cycles editing
4:49 Pattern chain
6:16 Copy parameter
7:34 Clipboard

4 Likes

Hey!

I’ve been reading the manual and it states the T1 can send program change messages when changing patterns.

Does it receive program changes too? Can the patterns be sequenced from Ableton?

To all using ableton link, what determines the latency? I know I can config the latency in the vonfig tool, but im not sure when to change it.

Like will the link connection differ in latency when im at my friends studio vs home studio?

Just wanted to drop in and say how much I’m loving the T1 - it’s taken me a while but it is awesome. It is simply the missing piece of kit for me in terms of being able to add controlled randomness to an Elektron heavy workflow.

Currently I have the t1 output into my digitone, which then outputs on the same channel to my rev 2 layer 2 (:exploding_head: (full disclosure: I’m a midi idiot)).

The thru is assigned as another out and goes into my analog rytm for dvco, mid-tom and cymbal tracks.

I have found that the incoming t1’s midi chokes any notes on the DN’s sequencer. The upshot is that if i record this midi over 64 or whatever steps on the dn, change or progress the T1 sequence a bit, i have access to 2 distinct sections - much like 2 patterns - which can be switched between instantly by muting and unmuting the relevant pattern on the T1 (if that makes any sense).

Coupled with the fact it is really good for both melodic and drum stuff, it has become the centre of my - albeit quite small - setup at the moment.

I haven’t found the chord generative stuff that impressive yet, however - maybe I’m not using it properly or perhaps this is the room for growth with future updates.

Would be interested in what other people’s experiences are, and how they are using their T1s.

4 Likes

I’m a midi idiot

A midiot, in other words?

As a fellow huge fan of Elektron instruments and the T1 I thought I’d share a couple of tracks I made recently using only the T1 and Mono/Octa. I don’t know if this is a good place to do that but hopefully you might enjoy/be inspired by.

Both fully improvised, then mixed to surrealist experimental film cos I love that stuff

12 Likes

Anyone got decent vids/tutorials for tips and tricks for melodic stuff?
A lot of my stuff sound kinda similar, unlike what i can get from a NDLR.
(It’s probably the LFOs in the NDRL that does it for me. Wish it had more.)

The vids done by that guy Patrick Madsen, and he seems pretty proficient at it, but when asked in comments for some detail its “I make some chords and add probability”. Well yeah…that’s what we are all doing, lol.

1 Like

It’s always nice to hear Surgeon. I can very much relate to his ideas:

3 Likes
4 Likes