Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

For anyone who is looking to order one!

1 Like

I keep looking at this ! How are people finding it after a bit of time? Looking at the firmware there seem to have been a number of issues fix (and created). How has the firmware evolved ? Would you still recommend it ?

Defo recommended - it’s great. I’ve mentioned it before, but it adds randomness / generative sequence stuff to my Elektron-centred setup, and I use it all the time to either build something around, or to add as layers for interest and variety.

It’s small but also the right size and it’s built like a tank.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ve watched videos and it looks like it is right up my street (I use Marbles and Westlicht Performer in eurorack…). Just fancy it for everything else ! Trying to decide how far I can get with Norns and a Grid for this sort of thing but am seriously tempted by it !

The August firmware update added a lot of solid functionality (pattern change, global cycles mode were both big workflow improvements) and they are good at quickly putting out updates for issues. It’s super fun for creating very long evolving drum pattens. It’s interesting that most of the videos you see on it seem to just have guys using it for very simple techno patterns which it can do but it’s bread and butter is in getting weird imo. Setting up melodic sequences takes a bit more work and wrapping your brain around the functions of each knob/mode relative to melody can be a bit daunting at first. It really shines with mutli timbral instruments or synths with interesting voice architecture. I have used it primarily with a Kodamo Essence (dream pairing) and a Dreadbox/Polyend Medusa (that gets wild with the various voice modes). Take the plunge!

3 Likes

Thanks ! I’m hoping the shop closest to me will get some in stock so I can play… (otherwise may just have to take a punt !)

Does it have more than 16 step patterns? I looked at the spec and it mentions patterns, tracks and banks but not pattern size

It’s tricky to explain it in step sequencer terms as it is definitely not a traditional step sequencer.

You don’t enter note value per step. You set the number of pulses in a 16 step cycle (basically note on values) and then use all of the other parameters to determine how the notes are played that you’ve select in the “pitch” section for that cycle (you an enter a single note or many notes for polyphonic stuff).

Per bank, you have 16 patterns each with up to 16 tracks and up to 16 cycles per pattern. A single cycle is made up of all parameter data. You can change all parameter values per cycle on a given pattern. So it effectively has the option of up to 256 steps/pulses (16 steps per cycle X 16 cycles) per pattern where each (up to 16 step) cycle can have completely different parameter info (think of it kind of like p locks but per 16 step cycle as opposed to per step).

Lastly, on a given bank you can chain patterns (not sure of the limit) so you can certainly program out full songs this way.

It’s a bit confusing without your hands on the thing but it is pretty intuitive once you put it in practice.

6 Likes

Thanks. That’s what people seem to say, hard to explain but intuitive once you start using it

I saw in the loopop video he entered steps in the traditional way.

It does look great for experimenting and tweaking sequences. Anything with surgeon always tempts me :slight_smile:

Yeah, loopop kind of mis-identified it as he was actually setting the pulses manually not technically “steps” where each one has it’s own note value. . His video was also a prototype before they had even built out the cycles functionality (which probably confuses things more as it wasn’t even called cycles, it was called “Slices” at that stage). It can work like a 16 step drum sequencer where each pattern has a different drum channel per track. If using it as a drum sequencer in that way with every static drum sound on a different track/midi channel, each pattern can certainly behave closer to standard step sequencers where you effectively have 256 steps per pattern using cycles. However, with melodic content or if you have a drum kit laid out chromatically on a single midi channel, it behaves quite differently then a traditional step sequencer.

2 Likes

Thank you, you’re explanation is a lot easier to understand that what I’ve seen so far so appreciate the reply

Will dig through some more vids now I understand it a bit better

2 Likes

BPM???

Hey, first of all, I really hope everyone is safe, healthy and doing great!

I pre-ordered a T1 and having lots of pre-fun reading up on the device, can’t wait to have it in my hands :slight_smile:

Sorry for bothering you with a noob question, but I can’t find a satisfying answer anywhere on the interwebs it seems.

I want to use the T1 as the main master (clock) in a live-set-up scenario. From what I’m understanding I can only adjust the tempo in steps of 16 BPM. Is there a way to adjust the tempo in steps of just one BPM?

Looking forward and all the best,

Mark

Not sure since I will always be using it synced to Octatrack or another sequencer - you have full control over tempo that way. I’m quite sure each step isn’t that big though. But have a look in the manual:
https://torsoelectronics.com/resources

Thanks. The manual is a bit unclear/confusing to me in this regard.

I did a bit more of investigation in the mean time. It looks like the “16 BPM steps” are just a global visualization of the tempo displayed on the (value) buttons. When a device has a dedicated tempo knob, you may assume the value per step will be 1 BPM :sunglasses:

“* Each [ VALUE ] button represents 16 bpm.”

Yes that is for each button press but you should have sub steps.

Hi. Tempo isnt modulatable by randomness is it?

I’ve spent the past couple of months looking for a hardware sequencer and have decided to order this one. I initially overlooked the T-1 because I wrongly assumed it was just another Euclidean sequencer - which has been the latest trend for quite a while.

I had been going back and forth between a Pyramid and NDLR. The Pyramid looks excellent, and I nearly ordered one a few times, but it was missing that generative function The NDLR has to offer. On the other hand, The NDLR sounds excellent in the demos, but user reviews confirm that the build quality isn’t outstanding. However, I’ve never held either unit to make a proper judgment.

So today, I thought I’d revisit the T-1. I watched Torso’s tutorials on YouTube and ordered one immediately, realising this is what I’ve been looking for. The workflow seems spot on, and I was impressed with its implementation. It seems to fall somewhere between the Pyramid and NDLR, in the sense that you can have randomness with lots of control. I also like the form factor, as it’s about the only shape that will fit on my desk.

Concerning build quality, I read the T-1 is manufactured from aluminium. Can anyone comment on the build quality?

1 Like

Nice tracks by the way. :+1:t3:

the faceplate is thick and the overall build quality is very nice. Encoders are push encoders, unfortunately not screwed to the faceplate but still not too wobbly. Compared to a Digitakt or Digitone, the push course is longer, which I like better than Digis. The USB-C is better than micro-usb. The unit is quite heavy for it’s size, but that’s a sign of quality. The buttons are fine, better than model:cycles tracks buttons IMO. The hard case is of great quality too, but it has no room for the usb cable, which I consider a design flaw.

I wish the serigraphy was more contrasted… but after a while you don’t even have to look at the device, you know it.

2 Likes

I did think that in videos. I imagine difficulty in low light situations. Their website is the same too, grey on grey.

Thank you for all the other information.