Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

I think it’s ok for primary functions (white on black), but not great for secondary functions (grey on black). But it’s only 16 params after all, so you will soon know it by heart.

One thing that is not related to the hardware: I could not use the app to update and configure the unit on Windows, it didn’t work. I had to use the app on macos. Maybe it’s just my computer.

It’s a great sequencer, and very quick from blank state to interesting idea.

Are these limited and only available from manufacturer? Don’t seem to be widely available

There’s a short list of resellers: Dealers

Got mine from midi Amsterdam.

1 Like

I have owned both the Pyramid and the NDLR and thought both were really great units, but ended up selling both of them after less than a year. I just really couldn’t find my flow with either. The generative aspect and interactivity of the NDLR is what I miss the most about that device. But now I have no hardware sequencer at all and my synths are sad.

Now that I have read through all of this stuff on the T-1 and just finished the Torso vids and I seriously considering making the T-1 mine

1 Like

I ended up getting out the lablemaker for mine because the unreadable grey annoyed me so much. Love it otherwise, but.

I’ve got a tiny refundable deposit on at Elevator Sound in Bristol for when they next release a batch - they aren’t too far from me so I can try before I buy. Been waiting a few weeks - they are out of stock everywhere…. (I think the Torso will be right up my street but really want to try it brfore committing that much money)

2 Likes

I accidentally dropped mine from about 2 feet right after I opened it because of my cat.

… It damaged my floor while T1 remained pristine. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

If you get a go post an update please

I got a blokas midi hub for Christmas and I’m debating if that and my opz would be cover my generative sequencing needs or if the blokas and torso would be an even better combo

Will do - I’m hoping it will arrive before the new year as I really want to be abstinent of new gear next year! I’m thinking it will be more Marbles-like for my midi synths than the op-z…

1 Like

The T1 is a proper solid, heavy instrument with nice knobs and pads. Its got a good form factor and nothing feels cramped to me - and like @acidhouseforall says, you soon learn the functions.

2 Likes

I’m about to do this myself. I know muscle memory will get there, but right now I have a printout sitting next to the sequencer just for the grey labels.

Only thing I wish the device did was be able to use a track to just send midi cc’s with the knobs as a generic controller and/or midi LFO tracks. I’m rarely using more than 8 tracks at a time.

3 Likes

There’s plenty of room for the cable if you lift up the top inlay (very easy).

1 Like

Yes… Hackers gonna hack !

2 Likes

Hi I noticed in the Tutorial video made by Torso for the groove section, when he twists the sustain knob it does nothing, the sound just stays plucky… Can someone confirm that it actually can make sustained sounds? It works for pads, right?

Yes, sure you can make pads. You can set the length of notes. I don’t think it’s possible per step, but it’s sure possible per cycle and pattern.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Roger on not having per-step automation. A bit of a bummer but ok. I know from the manual you can still add randomness to the sustain value to get per-step changes.

I still don’t quite understand the “LFO shapes”, if you can set those to something like the sustain value, or if those are just for the tonal/melody control section.

I see people asking about how one would jot down a more traditional sequence with this, or create the rhythm/melody that you have in your head.
What I plan to do with the machine, since it has 16 tracks but I dont have 16 synths, is use multiple tracks of the same MIDI channel and same synth to create a melody/harmony. For example input a G minor diminished 13 chord or whatever on step 1 on track 1 and then have track 2 play an A maj7 on step 6 and have a 3rd track sent to the same synth doing little melodic sequences in between. That way I get to define my chord progression and rhythm but also profit more from the algorithmic and generative features, since I could tweak the harmony or repeat knob only for the pattern that’s playing the chord on step 6, and achieve essentially per-step parameter lock cycling for that chord.
I encourage others to try this as well, if you hadn’t thought of it!

3 Likes

I do this with my octatrack and it works well. You can build up quite complex patterns muting and unmuting channels. Think it would work even better on the T1 (got it coming in the next batch)

1 Like

Good to hear it works well. The octatrack seems like a great instrument for it. When i was a beginner in a Daw I would sometimes accidentally route melodies to drum racks and it would do really cool things.
Ive also got my T1 coming in the next batch (no idea when that is, though hopefully one pops up on eBay before then)

1 Like

I pre ordered mine via Elevator Sound in Bristol. I think they are getting a shipment at the end of December. They are also a fantastic shop though arguably dangerous on my wallet Torso Electronics T-1 Algorithmic Desktop Sequencer - Elevator Sound

2 Likes