Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

You think you’ve got it tough - my desk is not in the least bit flat due to being made from random planks of rough wood. Nothing sits straight on it.

2 Likes

Or you just think that and all your gear is bent! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d be none the wiser. ;O

Seems I’ve swapped one misery for another.

Noticed strange behaviour when used TRS midi out: T-1 played notes and sometimes midi data not transmit to the midi in gears. This aid plug out/plug in TRS jack.

How fast was the learning curve compared to the OT for you? :smiley: I am really having a hard time to compute this device. Sooo cryptic. Guess I have to write all the stuff down I see in the manual and learn it and out.

edit: okay I get it now after a few more tuts :slight_smile: getting somewhere!

2 Likes

If you record midi messages in a DAW, it is very useful for studying T1 algorithms.

2 Likes

Ot was harder for me because it is quite different to Dn/Dt, but still an Elektron. Torso is very different but feels inspired by Elektron. With the temp mode and the cycles that can be " locked".
Made it easier to accept that you learn something complety new in a sense…

1 Like

I think it is pretty steep but nothing like the OT. The fact is, with OT, if you know how Elektron’s sequencer works you are already halfway…but then there is the other half. With this one I feel that if I can crack its “psychology”, so to speak, it would be very easy to operate. It works with a unique philosophy and “you have to dig it to dig it”, if you know what I mean. At the moment I am really torn apart between two approaches: my experience from Elektron tells me “ok, do a pattern, then a variation, then you chain them and you take elements in and out…et voilà, you have a song!”. But this sequencer screams “IMPROVISATION IS THE KEY”. Like I feel I should just learn it enough to be able to make everything from scratch and make it evolve and if I am “in the flow” I can produce an entire liveset like this switching between pre-prepared sounds. And then erase everything and begin from 0 again. And again. And again.

6 Likes

I was slightly interested in this sequencer before, but that just have me GAS!

1 Like

It’s a strange and particular instrument. I don’t know if I would recommend it to everyone. If I can scare you a little bit: I am scared that I will end up doing the same-y semi-random generative stuff and I will eventually get bored with it. I also think frequently that I could achieve similar results using ableton plug ins (or going modular) or that I could replicate the behaviours of T-1 using only the elektron sequencer (and maybe the random arp on the OT). But then I noodle with it and I realize its powers lie in the immediacy of the interface and the power of changing everything with a knob twist, and the performance features. All this, took by itself, is nothing special but having it all in a device is special indeed.

4 Likes

Totally… but I have yet to make some rhythm that convinces me >>I<< am able to do something worth listening to with that device :sweat_smile: Maybe if I learn that randomize feature.

Sneaky question: Is there a ctrl+all (e.g. randomize / offset / change pulses for all tracks) feature?

Yes!
temp pattern
Press and hold [ TEMP ], in combination with [ PATTERN ], and turn the knobs to make relative parameter
changes to all the tracks in the pattern.
When [ TEMP ] is released, the composition will return to its initial stage.

And you can also save this result in no time to a new pattern!

saving temp to pattern
While holding [ TEMP ] + [ PATTERN ], it is possible to save the temporary parameter changes to a pattern.
Selecting the currently playing pattern will override it.
Selecting a new pattern will save the state and start playback of the pattern.
[ TEMP ] + [ PATTERN ] + [ VALUE ]

And you can latch the temp mode by double tapping temp.

The shortcuts sound a bit intimidating, but after some time they feel quite natural.
As all buttons are in one area of the device, it feels more natural to me than on other devices whre you have to stretch your fingers.

Altough I sound like a Torso fanboy, I still have to manage to use it in a compositional manner.
Just jams for now, very fun jams indeed.

6 Likes

Does anybody else have problems with the MIDI TRS adapter? My Cordial cable is not plugging all the way in… MIDI clock gets to the AR but … no notes. I suppose not all pins are connected but enough for the clock? Now I gotta find that one other non-Cordial cable I own :smiley:

While plugging in the MIDI I also noticed how wonky the USB-C port is … maaaan … for a 550€ device … I already see that break. First day after warranty as always :smiley:

edit: Found the other cable which plugs in without a problem. But still … nothing happening on the AR except clock. wtf … also not with MIDI thru as out 2. Not even out of the in port (who knows!)

edit2: Does anyone know whether the M:C MIDI TRS adapter works with the T-1? (not for me … only clock – does that mean it works in general? or is clock always being transmitted for those two adapter standards)

Yes I really appreciate the ability to dilate or truncate entire patterns using division. I’m going to test later if i can just dilate a pattern (without dilating the repeats, because this pattern is very reliant on repeats for the melody) by halving pulses and doubling pattern length.

Interesting to hear about pitch changes using the harmony algorithm. I was under the impression it just did 1 scale degree per change (per "block of random? Idk) but now that you mention it, it does actually sound much more harmonically rich than that.
Let me know if you find out more!

1 Like

Could someone give me a 5 year old’s explanation of how to send program changes with this?
I’m trying to select voices on a sound module. Every channel (except 10) on every pattern in every bank just gives me the default piano sound.

program change
T-1 can send and receive MIDI program change messages to control pattern playback.
Incoming MIDI program change messages can be used to queue patterns on the T-1, and outgoing program
change messages can be used to control external devices, for instance change patterns on a secondary sequencer.
Program change messages from the T-1 are sent 1/8th note before a pattern change.
Program change values are mapped to match the pattern and bank number values:
• Patterns in Bank 1 to 8 = MIDI channel 1, value 1 to 128
• Patterns in Bank 9 to 16 = MIDI channel 2, value 1 to 128
E.g. pattern 6 in bank 5 = (bank-1) x 16 + pattern = 70

I am not an expert for Midi specs, but it seems it simply does not send the parameters you need.
Can be irritating sometimes to work with midi messages…
You have to setup the channels etc on the module, by default the channels on Torso are all set to Midi channel 1 .
And even if the pattern changes would also change programs on your module, it sounds like a tedious workflow.

In children friendly words : It is not designed to select presets, only to follow patterns.
I tried it with DT and it followed the patterns nicely.

1 Like

Ok that is what I suspected, thank you.

Has anyone estimated the delay when synchronizing via midi USB? I got 64 ms. In this case, simultaneously playing notes do not start at the same time.

But…you can randomize secondary functions.
Hold Random knob, hold ctrl, push encoder, choose value.

Edit. Not true! Sorry

Yes, i lost an entire bank by mistake too. Couldnt track back how i did it. Quite dangerous these combos.

Edit.
Would be great if they added a way to lock banks and/or patterns from being overwritten.

1 Like