Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

I am!

Totally agree. I thought I would get rid of the T1 when I bought a Hapax, which has a few generative algos and midi effects.

But there’s a magic in the T1 for sure - it’s generated outputs are so much more musical to my ears.

I do think the Play looks ace, and the concept really appeals to me, but not sure it shares exactly the same space as the T1.

Amazing to see the development in this technology in general, though. I wonder where it will all be at in a few years time if the generative stuff keeps developing at the same pace and stays attractive for consumers.

1 Like

Your going to need one on the mac and iPad if youre going to take advantage of the lower latency. I’m about to buy a few and see if they can boost my couch potato game.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen the algorithmic sequencer features of the Polyend Play are very similar to the features of the T1. The UI is obviously very different.

I don’t find the T1’s UI is under presented. It’s a wonderful balance of just enough UI to support what it does. As it is, I don’t think the T-1 would be better with an OLED screen.

Compare that to the Synthstrom Deluge which has only a minimal few character display, and it desperately needs a big display like the Polyend Play.

The Deluge started out very intuitive with mostly knob or button per function, and then they piled on a kitchen sink of features that require lots of memorization of button and knob combo sequences in completely unintuitive ways. It’s a mess. (For example, just try to figure out the Deluge’s looper feature.)

I hope the Torso crew can keep their eyes on the goal of a manageable user experience. Hopefully they will not overload too much functionality in response the competitive market pressure and mess things up.

There seem to be a lot of Eurorack modules creeping into the algorithmic generative sequencer space: Eventide Misha, Acid Rain Constellation, and it seems like every other new module has now has a Euclidean Sequencer and a Source of Uncertainty. Many of these modules are in the same price range as the T-1.

1 Like

I didn’t realize the CME WIDI latency is worse directly from the Mac and iPad. I’ll have to look into that.
With the T-1 I don’t think latency is a concern. But with a keyboard like the Linnstrument it might be.

The latency is more an issue when you’re sequencing. The transmit interval for MacOS and iOS are locked to ~8 and ~11ms, so if youre pairing with your devices directly, thats best case scenario, expect at least another 50% of that in real world). Theres an article about it here: The Truth About Bluetooth MIDI - Wireless MIDI? What about latency? on CME’s site. CME also confirmed via email with me.

Was just curious about how easy and stable the setup was. The bulk of my MIDI is already networked, and been wanting to give these things a shot. I do a lot of sequencing from ipad via bluetooth and wifi, so I’m pretty well verse with how laggy the BT Midi is for anything other than control surfaces.

Does anybody here use T1 successfully as sync follower via USB?

When I route MIDI Clock from my Syntakt Out via MRCC (my MIDI Hub/Interface) to the USB MIDI of the T1, the T1 starts to play when I start the Syntakt, but the T1 Play LED is flickering and same goes for each step LED. Looks like the T1 is started and stopped at a high frequency.

When I send the MIDI Clock to the TRS MIDI In of the T1, sync (as follower) works perfectly.

I assume that the MRCC causes this problem. I just want to make sure that there are no general known bugs with T1 sync (follower) via USB.

I slave the T-1 to AUMs clock all the time via USB. No issues.

I find it weird how the T-1 deals with BPM. I just want to be able to dial in a precise BPM!

By default, the tempo is set to 120bpm. The tempo ranges
from 24 bpm to 280 bpm.
• Each [ VALUE ] button represents 16 bpm.
• [ VALUE 6 ] is 120 bpm.
and
Each click Tempo encoder represents 1 bpm.
So if we need 154 bpm for example:
Press the button [ VALUE 8 ] (its 152 bpm) + 2 clicks (its 2 bpm).
Etc…

6 Likes

thanks, seem to have overlooked that last part with the clicks to change 1bpm! still, I hate calculationg/math, but I understand that its hard to do it otherwise without having a screen.

There is a certain charm to this device. It takes a different approach.

3 Likes

I’ve had to work away for a week, and I took my laptop and T1. It has kind of re-invigorated Live for me, as it give everything a starting point. I think that is what I like about the T1. There are a lot of things I don’t like about it, but I understand that in the main those things are design trade-offs, or philosophical differences, but as a tool to get things started, I really love it.

1 Like

so how dit you use it? genereate a midi sequence and record that to Live and then manually edit that?

Yes. But the editing was pretty minimal. For example, I’d have T1 generate a chord sequence, and I’d cut some chords from it, and make the loop shorter. Then have it generate melodic notes, and I’d move a few around. etc. An example here: (T1 didn’t do drums, but everything else is T1 started)

How are you - and others here - feeling towards your T-1? This thread seems a bit quiet, but I’m considering pre-ordering one.

1 Like

It’s an amazing sequencer, it turns every synth and VST I own into a groovebox ! At first, it seems like a one trick pony, “only” an euclidian sequencer, but it’s so much more powerful than that and it can generate new good and usable ideas very quickly.
I admit I’m very curious to know if the next big update will include modifying CCs like midi notes. It would be huge. Fingers crossed !

1 Like

Still use mine almost every time I play with my toys. I haven’t even used the CC feature yet. It’s great with percussion. I don’t love it as much for melodic, but it almost always comes up with something inspiring for me to build on.

I’d like a bit more visual feedback, I still struggle to grok the randomness. But yeah, I never read the manual and it is a very useful bit of kit, and I haven’t gone deep really.

Oh, and I find entering a “manual” or “custom” scale a bit of a poor user experience.

EDIT: but no plans to sell it, and never regret buying it.

1 Like

I agree with most that was said. I also thought it might be a one trick pony after a while, but it’s really deep and it’s worth exploring every feature and parameter.

Random is definitely difficult to understand because it’s an interplay of three parameters (range of random, probability of dicing/keeping the current state, and freqency of dicing. And the parameters are not treated equally regarding random, which makes sense, but makes it even more complicated. It tooke me a while.

The current implementation of CCs is not very useful. I also hope that an update will add more than the current “manual or random” options for CCs.

Biggest plus: Most random functions in sequencers change things all the time. T1 can generate surprising results – and keeps that playing, unless you ask it to change things again. Like a Turing Machine.

Biggest con: Lots of shortcuts and key combinations to remember, so you really have to practice it like an instrument.

1 Like

Really love mine. Only thing I struggle with is, its great to go off on a journey randomising all the parameters but its kind of one way street, you quickly lose track of all the settings you’ve applied to all the knobs, you find yourself routinely pressing each encoder to see whats applied but then you have to do that again (with Random held down) to see the randomisiation amount you’ve applied on top of that. So there’s basically two layers or ‘states’ for every knob. There’s no screen so you don’t know until you look at each encoder…twice. Sometimes I just don’t mind this, sometimes it irritates the hell out of me. I came to the conclusion that its better to just clear the channel and start the process again if it’s not going in the direction you like, rather than try and force control of it by trying to understand exactly what’s happening, whats affecting what and why. I imagine this must be what fiddling around with modular is like.

2 Likes