Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

This is valuable insight - I can imagine what you’re saying. Don’t think I’ll mind always, but it clearly asks a certain approach of you as a user.

I like the analogy cause it got me thinking, but I think it’s different to me. Modular can end up in weird and uncontrolled states. But it’s always one knob/patchcable per function, so you can kind of trace things back or (un)patch/tweak one thing at a time until things become logical again.

For the T-1 though it sounds like it’s just best to start from scratch by then.

Would you also consider it as your only / live sequencer? Or would you use it as inspiration/writing tool besides another brain?

Ah yes, one knob / patchable thing on modular makes total sense but glad my clunky analogy got you thinking :slight_smile:
T-1 is my main sequencer until I want to change parameters on individual steps…I reach for the DN or DT sequencers on those occasions. I’ve not had the T-1 all that long so haven’t really got into the Cycles feature in combination with Division as I imagine this would be the way to have per step control of stuff on the T-1. That and being able to send many parts to the same midi channel. Not explored all those features in full yet, looking forward to though.
But yeah, the best way is to just start from scratch when you lose sight of whats doing what. It feels bad especially when you’ve got something happening that’s almost right but getting back to something similar (and more often even better) with the T-1 is super quick. And fun.
You are right though, it does ask you to take this approach as a user and it feels a bit weird and cold at first, but when you just go for it, it’ll give you a hug and a nice cup of tea.

1 Like

So, a weird little issue here : I’ve tried for the first time the T-1 with some Reaktor synths (Monark and Razor) and every time I want to change the pattern and go from pattern 1 to pattern 2 for example, it also changes the preset on the synth. I’ve never had this problem with other VSTs, only with Reaktor.
I’ve updated to the latest firmware, the 1.2.6, but does someone know if there is a fix for this other than a new firmware version ?

I haven’t used mine in a while, but if I remember correctly, there’s an option to send program change with pattern change in the configuration utility.

1 Like

Thanks ! You are absolutely right, I didn’t think to check the midi over usb configuration.
Now I feel dumb but in a way I’m glad it was so easy to fix. :slight_smile:

Can you save banks and power the unit down, then used saved banks the next time round? I’m sure I did it once, then seemed to loose everything?

1 Like

Yes, you can. To save: hold BANK + CTRL and press the target VALUE
button.

1 Like

Thanks! I think I must be doing that and then sometimes getting the combo wrong and clearing it?! I can’t work it out lol. Been a number of trusting moments hahaha.

Great fun device though! Just need to watch what I’m doing and RTFM

From man:

T-1 does not automatically save it’s state, so this is the only way to save the state of patterns. T-1 will reset to the saved banks upon restarting the unit.

save bank
To save the current state of a bank press and hold [ BANK ] + [ CTRL ] and press the appropriate [ VALUE ] button to save the desired bank.

reload bank
Making changes in a bank lets you reload the bank and return to the last saved state.
Press and hold both [ BANK ] and the appropriate [ VALUE ] button for 1 second.
A flashing GREEN light on the [ VALUE ] button indicates that the banks have been reloaded. Hold [ BANK ] + hold [ VALUE ]

Cheers

1 Like

would love it if they released an updated cheatsheet

edit: afaik there isn’t a cheatsheet

3 Likes

They have a new update coming. Hopefully that comes with new documentation. They also started a discord and users are suggesting clarifications in the manual.

5 Likes

a really concise page of shortcuts would go a long long way in groking it.

maybe i ought to find time to make one myself / share :thinking:

3 Likes

oooh, interesting, I wonder when thats due? Do you have a link to the Discord? The one on their Facebook page is out of date now and doesn’t work

3 Likes

This link expires in 7 days. I guess that’s how Discord works… I’ll delete if I remember next week.

4 Likes

Cheers :beer:

1 Like

Many thanks

1 Like

Amazing that it’s taken this long…

summer vacay time in Europe :relaxed:

The last update was June 20th.

https://torsoelectronics.com/resources/t-1-changelog/

I meant the cheat sheet/documentation lol