Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

actually, there’s a “SUMMARY OF BUTTON COMBINATIONS” at the back of the manual. not sure how comprehensive it is, but it looks up to date as of vers 1.2.0.

1 Like

In stock again at Perfect Circuit

Loopop had this in his list of wants…
well…now he’s got it

At the risk of sounding pedantic, this was actually the opposite of his original commentary. The beta units had smooth encoders, and he recommended detent to be able to “feel” each increment of midi value movement. The feedback made it into the production units.

9 Likes

oh HAHA - you’re right!
ah well…

nice for those looking for the option - I prefer the detents

Hi.
I´m using the T-1 in my dawless setup but I just got a job where I have a lot of waiting around and was thinking how to use that free time to make some patterns on the Torso and practise my mooves.
I can use it with a laptop/Live but it would be nice if the setup was a little smaller and was thinking if it´s possible to use it with an Iphone synth app Iike Moog Animoog instead.

Is that possible?
I don´t have an Iphone yet so I can´t test it myself but my boss wants to give my one so I was hoping to combine that in a lighter set up.

Also, I´m very new to Iphones/smartphone, any recommendations for synth/music apps i IOS?

Thanks

I’ll try it and get back to you over the weekend. If I remember correctly, Animoog requires an additional in-app purchase for some external midi features.

1 Like

Thanks a lot buddy

The torso is plug and play with iOS. It’s class compliant.
Plenty of times it’s just an the torso, an ipad, and AUM….

3 Likes

Thanks man.

Do I need some specific cables or other?

1 Like

That sounds interesting with your modular heap approach to split them in several tracks with different lengths (polymeter).
Would you like to post a short or long music–example? :slight_smile:

So I literally just got the T-1 in the door. Having read this thread, the first thing I did was hooking it up to my iPad Pro with iPad’s USB-C to USB-C cable. Then opened Korg iMono/Poly, and turning the Steps and Pulses knobs on the T-1, sweet music emerged :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just tried with the USB-A to lightning adapter on iPhone and iPad (7th gen) and the Torso draws too much power from them.

I just got my T1, sitting unopened, unsure whether to keep or send back. If I open it, I’ll have to pay 15% restocking.

I preordered it a while ago and seemed very cool at the time. The price is troubling me. Now my eyes are fixed more on Hapax, the interface seems easier to learn and has very similar features for not a whole lot more.

The learning curve and 16 “step” per pattern setup might not be worth it. I’m unsure.

I was gonna use it for a quick and cool drum parts and generating melody and chord progressions. Hook it up to Analog Rytm and Polyend Tracker, maybe Virus and Blofeld. I’d need a 3.5 MIDI A to B cable if such exist for the tracker or use a regular cable with adapters on both sides but there’s gotta be a like - what, stereo channel swap cable or adapter somewhere?

I saw an open box T1 at Moog Audio for 20% less for me, which sold fast. For that price I’d probably keep it. If it was 30% cheaper I think a lot more people would buy it. Although with the firmware updates and Ableton Link functionality it might do more than similar priced devices if you use those features.

I just wish I could try it out. Should’ve bought it from Moog Audio which are more relaxed about their returns as long as it’s still in pristine new condition with everything and twice as much time to return it. And no 7% PST, which is like $60. I prefer to support small local shops but in this case it makes sense just to return it. See if Moog has or is getting more open box or just buy a new one and at least spend a couple hours with it. The official case for it is also $20 cheaper there.

Is a few hours enough to know whether it’s for you or not?

I’m guessing you could still use it with a powered USB hub (either battery or wall powered)? I hope new iPhones will have USB-C.

If it has WiFi, it’s got a WiFi module which often include Bluetooth as well. I don’t think it has it or there’d be talk. That would’ve been so cool. Even if there are bandwidth limitations I’m sure it could do a few tracks at least. Like DeepMind 12 has only WiFi as well. Maybe using Apple’s MIDI over network? Bluetooth would’ve been more convenient

I’d be so happy if they implemented network MIDI over WIFI. I could connect it wirelessly to maybe the DeepMind? The real beauty would be a network MIDI device able to use channels, even with multiple Macs when collaborating. Or one could just plug the T1 into a Mac and create a network session. Not sure about iOS, whether it can use those or just Bluetooth.

All of the above is pretty much correct. If you have a usb C iOS device, no additional power is needed. If you have a lighting iOS device, you’ll need a powered CCK. Torso has wifi, so you can sync wireless via ableton link if you want.

@pinz, I rely heavily on network midi and audio in my setup, and the very last method of sending midi (especially from a sequencer) is over WiFi. It’s ok for sending some control data here or there, but it was quite a process to be able to use a sequencer over wifi to have it even be a bit usable (with huge buffers and offsets and quantization) and it’s still far from stable. Jitter is all over the place, and I even have a separate network isolated for midi and audio, and I still will try notto use it as it just recreates more editing work in the long run.

1 Like

Just wait for the next firmware update and the 64 steps my friend, among other things, I think it will be cool.
I also wanted to add that Hapax and T1 are two very different things, so it might not be Hapax or T1, but rather Hapax and T1 since they are totally complementary. For me anyway, it’s Pyramid and T1.

3 Likes

Oh that’s coming, too? That’s one of the top reasons I’m thinking of keeping it, that the firmware is still evolving and who knows what else could be added.

And you’re right it’s complementary to other machines. One could do more of the traditional sequencing while T1 does the more generative stuff. Just the price seems a bit high but everything’s up in price these days. I could use a sequencer like that today as well. Seems like many people on here are happy with it especially those that put in some time to practice with it.

And thanks @micabeza for the info on the wifi, that’s good to know.

Sorry, small correction: “several cycles with different lengths”, not tracks :slight_smile:
I recorded two of my patterns with Kontakt for you, and did slight MIDI editing and mixing.
The former is a clearer example. You can hear really hear the shifting cycle lengths and different dynamics between them. Both of these songs are just made of 1 pattern each. 99% of the notes are from the T1.

4 Likes

iPad says the T-1 pulls too much power. I don’t have a usb hub or a way to power the iPad while it’s plugged into the T-1. Others in the thread have made it work though!

1 Like