Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

According to the 1.3 manual nothing changed here: It’s not possible to randomize sub functions, only first level functions.

2 Likes

^^ correct.

The workaround I’ve found may not be for everyone, but the T1 has more tracks that I’m using at once, so I use two or three tracks to the same channel with probability and different pace settings.

8 Likes

Korg gadget Le and maybe you know someone with a korg controller and if you pair it, you get extra tracks and gadgets. Can do advanced midi mapping and it’s free.
Or get aum (20 units) and several free auv3 synths.

3 Likes

Nice additions!

Thanks @rklem and @mr_bernard.
Much appreciated 🫡

2 Likes

Just couple of days I acquired T-1 and I am absolute in love with it. One thing I am still figuring out is random knob. Specifically its functionality to introduce and lock in randomness just be turning random knob all the way down or half way full (similar to Turing machine). Question - does this setting apply to all the parameters affected by random? I.e. say I am randomizing Pulses and Sustain. I already like the randomness loop on Pulses , so I don’t want to modify that, but I would like to introduce some more randomness into Sustain and lock in a new pattern. Now unless I am mistaken, there is no way to do that without messing up my randomness pattern of Pulses parameter, correct?

2 Likes

Currently have my octatrack sending clock and transport to my torso, works great for what i’ve been doing but i keep running into one issue. I want my torso to correspond with my ot on pattern changes. (Ie. switch from pattern 2 to pattern 1 on OT and for the patterns to also change on the torso. Thinking it could be cc not really sure. let me know if y’all have run into this! thanks

Just ordered a T-1.
Waiting for delivery now :slight_smile:
As a NDLR user, I am anxiously waiting to dive deep into Euclidean and randomness.
Will be using it with OT, DT, DN, Hydrasynth and (upcoming) Perfourmer Mk2.

Hey, I have a t1 and a Rytm, I could achieve what I understood (hopefully correctly) you are looking for with Octa/t1. Basically, I could change patterns on the Rytm, and the t1 was changing its pattern accordingly. To achieve that, I had activated Program Change send on the Rytm (don’t remember how to exactly, but quite straightforward in the related config menu), and activated Program Change receive on the t1 config app. It was working well. However, on both Rytm and t1, pattern 1 is automatically assigned to PC1, pattern 2 to PC2, etc., and there is no way to assign custom PC to patterns. So pattern numbers on both machines must be linked accordingly. I hope this helps !

2 Likes

I’m seriously considering buying one but had a couple of questions that don’t seem to be covered clearly in the manual. If anyone has any idea, that would be a huge help.

• With Cycles, is it possible to loop a single Cycle even if there are multiple Cycles in the list? Or does it just play through them all, similar to adding new Pages on an Elektron? Seems like you can also use Randomization to determine the order it plays through as well?

• Just to be certain, all tracks can have different lengths, correct?

• Do either Division or Time act like Scale on Elektron devices, where it changes the clock division of that specific track? Looks like this is on a per-track and/or per-Cycle basis?

• Is it still true that sub-parameters (rotate, offset, pace, etc) are not modulatable with the Random feature?

• What does the CV in do? Doesn’t seem to say in the manual.

• Does the CV Clock Sync In work with impulses and triggers just like a regular eurorack clock? I’m wondering if I could send triggers from the Analog Four’s CV tracks into the CV Clock Sync, and then parameter lock those triggers to change the clock speed while the pattern is playing.

• It doesn’t look like there’s a Midi implementation chart in the manual. Are there parameters that can be controlled with incoming Midi CC, and if so, which?

Quick personal comment about the T-1:

I find that it is not very tight when cycling through cycles.

Not sure if that makes sense - but when I manually program in some steps, it sounds a bit different than when one uses the algorithm to generate a sequence. (Think swinging hihats)

In my case, every time it goes to the next cycle, I hear a bit of delay when it makes the jump. (Similar to the unintentional swing in a Boss DR-110)

I guess I’m just too used to the tighness of the OctaTrack to dig sequencing exclusively on the T-1. But it’s definitely got a few tricks up it’s swingin’ sleeves.

You can only loop the first cycle by hiding the others. There is a request in for choosing a cycle including sequencing the cycles.

Correct

Division does. Time is about the repeats function. Yes. Per-track and per cycle.

Unfortunately true.

Captures a CV movement and stores it as an assignable modulator.

It’s pretty standard euro rack style. Unsure about A4 functionality you describe.

It accepts program change messages for changing patterns/banks. There’s no other external control outside of clock and transport.

5 Likes

appreciate you Laff!!! got it working

1 Like

Have a question: in my current setup T1 is sending clock to OT. Then OT thru and OT out go through a MIDI merger to feed DT, DN and A4.

I would like to have OT send clock to T1 then T1 thru and out to MIDI merger to then feed DT, DN and A4.

My question: is T1 responding to MIDI incoming notes or CCs? If so can this be turned off through the companion software?

Thanks for any advice,
V

Edit: from the manual

“The MIDI i/o tab lets you configure whether the T-1 should send or receive MIDI clock, start/stop, and program change to and from the USB and MIDI TRS ports. Additionally, a note filter can be enabled on each of the MIDI outputs, to prevent MIDI notes from being sent on TRS out/out 2 or USB.

Edit: got in touch with Jonas from Torso Electronics. As per current firmware, the T-1 does NOT respond to MIDI notes/CCs. Only passes it THRU.

3 Likes

I posted this in the “Our Music” area, but some in this thread might be interested.

Live improvised set. All sequencing done with the Torso T1 to Syntakt and Beatsqueezer(niche sampler mellotron-ish thing). Octatrack used as effects mixer. Saxophone and lots of pedals!

Ambient, dark, weird, cinematic at times. Zero plan, all improvised.

Rig pics:

13 Likes

This is really cool. Nice collection of pedals

1 Like

Thank you!

Tis but a selection for live rig. I have a problem :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, a lot of choice cuts in there! Mercury 7, Mood, Fabrikat, Float… and best of all no Microcosm :wink:

2 Likes

I’m about halfway through. It’s great!

1 Like

For those of you using this with an iPad - what are you using for a decent quality audio output at the same time? Do you use some kind of USB hub so that you can also connect an audio interface?