Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

Hi mate, I use a cheap multi usb host which can pass power supply into the iPad, either from a socket or a battery.

Have had no problems connecting my old iPad with the torso for midi and an ik multimedia irig pro duo for audio in and out. Something like this:

USB 3.0 Camera Adapter,3 in 1 Lightning to USB OTG Adapter with Charging Port,USB OTG Adapter Compatible with i-Phone i-Pad,Support Card Reader,USB flash drive,keyboard,mouse https://amzn.eu/d/58llS8A

Here it is right now (although with a hapax into the usb, not the T1)

There are definitely bugs with cycles. I’ve submitted one where if you edit voicing in cycles, then exit cycles mode and edit voicing, it changes voicing on the last selected (?) cycle rather than all the cycles (since you’re out of cycles mode). I’ve noticed some unexpected/inconsistent skipped pulses, possibly some timing stuff too, but that could be related to how many midi notes are being dumped out of this thing at any given moment.

I’m confident they’ll address these and I’m excited for the upcoming cycles features (64 cycles!). After trying the 1-step cycle trick to program acid (individual note length and velocity are key obviously), I realized this thing can be great for more conventional sequencing too, and I actually really enjoy it for sequencing acid now. So it’ll be nice to be able to break out of the 1 bar limitation currently there with 16 cycles.

2 Likes

Yes, that timing ‘bug’ is what causes me to not record live sessions.

I do not know whether or not this can be fixed - but I do agree that it could have something to do with how many notes are being output at any given time.

I do not use note repeats, random, … etc, either; this happens when simply programming standard basic beats on it, using either the Euclidean sequencer, or manually adding notes to the grid and ‘chaining’ that pattern to the next pattern.

On another note, let’s say one has a nice sequence going, all running at 16’ths… if you change one of the other tracks to a different grid division live - like it seems to excel at in many folk’s YouTube jam sessions - the rhythm is thrown off in a bad way, it doesn’t remain 16’ths, but instead turns into an inconsistent rhythm pattern - shuffled a bit, but not in a good way.

However, this sequencer helps me map out velocities before programming sequences on other machines… so that’s why I’m still hanging onto it.

If this thing gets updated to be able to program monophonic basslines on any of its lanes, I’d be ok with this issue… seriously, it’s still good at doing ‘things’.

Can you elaborate on this? I tried to search up the thread but couldn’t find a description. I do a lot of acid jams so this sound like something I’d really want to try. How does it work?

@wminor With acid you need overlapping notes for a slide, and velocity over a certain threshold for an accent, so you need to control those independently for each note. T-1 makes this a bit difficult if you use ‘normal’ patterns the best you can do is add randomness to note length (sustain) and velocity (or use the accent grooves but these are not optimal as you can’t edit them). So the solution is to use single step cycles, where each cycle can define its own velocity and sustain value. Probably simplest to just use 1 note for pitch when you start, then change that note in each cycle too. You can have up to 16 cycles (64 in an upcoming release) so that gets you a 16 step bar. Cycles are incredibly powerful, they’re awesome. And despite the bugs still out there, they work pretty well.

3 Likes

Awesome. Thank you! My T-1 doesn’t arrive until next week, and the videos I’ve watched so far haven’t focused much on Cycles so I’m excited to hear that they add even more to what already seems like a great feature set!

interesting!

10 Likes

Midi processing!

1 Like

Oh
my
gawd

I will love my T1 even more !!!
Do you know when the 2.0 will be released ?

1 Like

no idea - this just came in an email:
“A bunch of new features are coming in a free firmware update to the T-1 very soon! We are super excited as this update will make it possible to use the T-1 in completely new and creative ways.”

4 Likes

sold two of these now. Each time theres a big update JUST after I sell. FFS

2 Likes

I am just about to list mine for sale, I want to keep it now :neutral_face:, it is a brilliant device and I believe the developers are going to keep on making it better.

1 Like

By the way, does anyone have the clickless version ? How is it ? Are the encoders Elektron like ?

I have the click version and the encoders are great have a good smooth but solid feel this device is very well made.

Yeah I know I have the same version but I don’t really like the clickiness of it, I think I would prefer the clickless one.

Oh cool I think they were the early ones and them people asked them to put the clicks in to help them keep track of where they are.

I do.
Build feels very solid.
Whether click or clickless, build quality is the same.

Encoders feel more plastic than Elektron ones.
I was actually thinking about changing them to coloured ones to better identify the various parts (Euclidean, groove, tonal…).
I know they are 6mm D shaft (confirmed by Jonas).
Where should I look at for this type of encoders?

Looking at the pads help in this.

1 Like

This may be the last nail to seal the Coffin, I’ve been side eyeing this device for a loooong time, but was unsure if I’d ever want to invest the time to really get to know it.

But with this update using it as a midi expander for other sequencers can be just the thing I’ve been looking for… I imagine using this together with a OP-Z and let T-1 process the midi data further to make some really whacky sequences…

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get to know the device before the 2.0 update

2 Likes

Man I checked the beta changelog, this 2.0 firmware will be huuuuuuge :

New features

• Step editing
    • All parameters (including CCs) can be edited at every step
    • To edit a step:
      • Press step in the pulses view
      • [ BANK ] is blinking RED
      • Turn knob or press value buttons to change the parameter
      • Edited steps are displayed with RED
      • Press [ BANK ] to leave step editing mode.
    • Outside step editing mode, parameter changes are applied globally to all steps
    • Step editing on CC tracks is possible by double tapping the track in track view
    • Parameters excluded from step editing: tempo, delay, length, quantize
  • FX tracks
    • A new track type “FX” tracks allows for processing midi input
    • Create an FX track by [ CTRL ] + 2x press [ VALUE ] in track view.
    • Incoming notes are automatically routed to all FX tracks in the pattern
    • With zero pulses, incoming notes are monitored directly
    • With non-zero pulses, incoming notes sets the chord for the pulses in the track
    • The ( PITCH ) menu on FX tracks can be used as a “live” MIDI keyboard
  • Parameter quick view
    • Parameters are briefly displayed after turning knobs on T-1
    • This feature can be toggled in T-1 Config – > Misc (default: ON)
  • Note routing ( OUTPUT )
    • The note output of a track can be routed into any of the other tracks
    • Hold [ CTRL ] + ( CHANNEL ) and select the destination tracks.
    • Multiple destination tracks can be selected.
  • Multi channel tracks
    • Multiple MIDI channels can now be selected in ( CHANNEL )
  • Slew on random
    • Add adjustable slew on random modulations by turning ( KNOB ) while holding [ CTRL ] + ( RANDOM )
    • Slew can be added to all parameters including CC
  • Free division / time
    • Hold [ CTRL ] while turning ( DIVISION ) to change division freely in a resolution of 96 PPQN
    • Use random with slew to create accelerating patterns similar to ( PACE )
    • ( TIME ) can be adjusted freely as well by pressing [ VALUE 16 ] in ( TIME ) menu
  • Poly / mono random
    • Quickly access polyphonic and monophonic random modulations on chords
    • Polyphonic affects each note in the chord differently, monophonic affects the whole chord
    • Positive random amount = polyphonic
    • Negative random amount = monophonic
    • Poly / mono random works on parameters
      • velocity
      • sustain
      • pitch
      • range
      • accent
      • timing
      • channel

Edit : and also this :

• Harmonizer
    • Live input MIDI transposes the track pitches instead of ignoring them
    • On FX tracks, the track pitches can be edited by holding [ CTRL ] in the ( PITCH ) menu
10 Likes

I am sadly not in the UK

1 Like