Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

And I was able to reproduce both issues. I just needed to play with it some more. On the plus side, mine no longer seems to be randomly recording immutable freeze automation on the first 6 steps of the second bar.

1 Like

OK, there’s an update on the way

Not only bugs are solved (step transpose and copy), but it also adds new features: you can now copy steps including P-locks AND transpose whole patterns using the keyboard.

I had started using a BlackBox to sequence the BlastBeats but now there’s less and less rationale to do so. The sequencer on the BlastBeats really got beefed up!

3 Likes

Would be neat if at some point the rotate function would rotate locks/modulation too in addition to notes but this sounds like a good update. I’m on the fence about selling mine. It sat on Reverb for a while with no good offers, but I yanked it when 2.2 came out. Being able to edit notes is HUGE. In fact I even don’t mind the way it’s done, it feels sort of like an analog sequencer where you have to wait until the next go 'round to hear your changes.

2 Likes

In the website of TE it says that blast beats it’s out of stock… Is this machine reaching its end of life? Almost all in his website it’s out of stock. Their products hasn’t a long life… I bought a megaFM MK1 just before it disappeared… Sorry for the english…

1 Like

Hi, blast beats has arrived, this time it seems to work ok. I trying to understand the relation between patterns, banks and songs… The manual is confusing me…

It seems that each songs only have 16 patterns…

The chain from down to up would be

Step, pattern, song… Is this correct?

For what I understand in each song you can do 16 patterns, I expect to make more…

For example in LXR02 I can do 64 patterns, in tracker 256… I think I am missing something…

It’s the most alien synth I have, in a good way

Thanks

Yes I think you’re correct about the project structure

16 patterns is not a lot indeed

But don’t forget you can use any kit to play a pattern

I also concur with the fact that this synth is an alien

But for this uncommon workflow you’re rewarded by a very specific and original sound character
(I personally tried to stop using it but came back to the BlastBeats because nothing sounds like it)

1 Like

Also, a side note: don’t be afraid to go wild with automations, it can lead you to places (not always good ones, but some very interesting)

1 Like

I’ve been messing with blast beats an hour… It’s totally wild and unique. Is a synth or groovebox like no other. If you could change a song without stop the sequencer you’d have a lot of patterns to play with…

It’s a very special machine…

3 Likes

haha i love this machine,
i am playing since 3 weeks every day with it. the sound is so freaking good and analordish. it has a little bit independent existence and some crazy unexpected things happens after switching pattern and kits. the biggest mistake i did was the save procedure. so i overwrite so many times song one :smiley: because i thought it is for pattern one to save. and i can’t still figure out what really technically happen if u arm save+kit/pattern. :smile: but there are still some bugs i guess, somentimes stutter or freeze automatically added in the pattern. after clearing all this things, save it etc. this settings are coming back sometimes…

2 Likes

Has anybody been able to successfully use the online tool?

https://twisted-electrons.com/tool/blastBeats/

It doesn’t work for me but that might come from my setup, I don’t know.

with chrome it works very well :+1:, with firefox not. i have not tested the output routing and midi channel things but the MISC’s. they are enabled straight after u click on write. the unselected safe env. change this synth in a multi channel drone mashine :smiley: :crazy_face:

Well I’ve tried with Chrome but it seems the BB goes undetected :-/

Like, do you turn it on after you connected the MIDI I/O?

Maybe the problem comes from my MIDI interface (RME Babyface)

I’ve got to try with a different computer.

Many thanks for the feedback!

it seems the app starting to work if midi in and out jack are both connected. it does not read data if only midi out is connected for example. no need to care about to switch on/off, it works during operation under these conditions. gladly, it was very intresting to test it ! chrome asked me first time to enable midi feature.

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks!

I tried with an older computer and, for some reason, it worked this time :+1:

Now I can take advantage of the stutter feature to mess up beats on my Razzmatazz :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well that resolves everything haha. Thanks for the nightmare fuel.

1 Like

Finally I spent an hour with my BB and I didn’t know what I was doing. It’s an alien machine with an alien workflow, but amazing. It’s different.

There is an update for a bug fix released today.

1 Like

Hello! A couple of problems with my blast beats…

1. There is a high hum noise when the BB is powered off. I’ve only used the mix out. When I power on the unit the hum disappears totally. Is the only device that makes that, and only when the power is off. I’ve changed the cables from TRS toTS and nothing. Also, Blast Beats needs a lot of gain, I have an Audient ID44 MK2 and the gain is at 3/4. In the unit, the overall output is at 6 I think.

2. When I’m in the song 1 and change from pattern 1 to another pattern all sounds disappears. I try to initialize and clear pattern and if I move all the sliders there is no sound. Nothing. The only possiblity to have sound is to copy the pattern with sound and paste it in the new pattern. I don’t know if this is a normal behaviour.

It’s my second unit after returning the first…

Thanks

Re 1., my BB has always been humming when off as well. I don’t see it as a problem. Low output level is a bit more worrisome but I just crank gain up on my mixer. Just for the sake of curiosity, why don’t you set the overall output volume at 10 on the BB?

Re 2., I noticed similar issues on the very last FW (2.4). Alex might have messed things up a bit. I never had this problem before. I need to reproduce the issue and write to him.

1 Like