Twisted Electrons Blastbeats

What do you use to cover the blast beats?

A miserable piece of cloth :frowning:

But it has pacman imprints :slight_smile:

If there was a deck for the BB, I would buy it instantly, even if it’s probably overpriced, as most are :smiley:

3 Likes

Playing with a newly acquired blast beats and having a lot of fun aside from some strange quirks. I’m having an issue with some of my patterns when I enable record some of my sounds seem to have parameter changes. Am I doing something wrong?

https://youtu.be/IX1_btPjwS4

Oh, what FW version are you on?

(I don’t think you are doing anything wrong)

There’s yet another FW in the pipes

Apart from bug fixes, maybe it will include a new feature (TBC): P-locked steps sending out MIDI CC’s to external gear

Oh wow these firmware updates are coming out fast! I was on 2.4 and saw in the patch notes for 2.5 there was a bug fix regarding synths being muted when REC was enabled. 2.5 fixed the issue I was having on the pattern in my YouTube video.

It was driving me crazy because I am just now learning the workflow so I wasn’t sure if it was user error or even worst a hardware fault but looks like all these random quirks are being addressed via firmware updates.

With all that said, I really am enjoying this thing and it’s unique character. I think it is definitely worth the occasional odd behavior.

2 Likes

Yeah, there was silence for some months but now it’s almost daily :sweat_smile:

Some jarring issues are being addressed, and really nice features added.

Regarding sound and character, I’m with you. I almost stopped using it because of its quirkiness at one point, but found my other synths a bit plain as compared to the BlastBeats.

I use the synths a lot but not really the drum parts, though. This being said, with the new improvements that are being made, I will be able to use all the top faders and the sequencer for other duties. The sequencer is changing from meh to actually good.

2 Likes

Has anyone messed around with sending a lot of control change messages to the Blastbeats? I know a lot of older FM synths struggle under heavy modulation, and I’m curious if the Blastbeats handles it better

2 Likes

I tried some time ago with the Tracker, but I don’t think I went extreme with the number of CC’s.

(I’m actually doing the opposite currently: sending a lot of CC’s from the BlastBeats’ faders to other gear)

Maybe you could ask @Stazma?

2 Likes

I never went extreme so I can’t tell right now.

2 Likes

pure blastbeats track with internal sequencer. just mastered a litte bit :space_invader:

9 Likes

Man that sounds great!

Yesssss good track!

Has anyone made any sample packs of the blastbeats?

1 Like

Patience, young Padawan. :smiley:

3 Likes

Maybe off topic but I’ve made a bunch (not much) of samples from megaFM… I don’t know how to upload it, but I could do it…

3 Likes

Google drive!
If the megadrive is as noisy as the blastbeats, that would be awesome!

I just got mine today. Love the sound and want to dive in more but is it just me or is are there some pretty nasty bugs with the firmware?

It could be me, as it’s a brand new machine but I’m getting some weird behaviour around saving and loading patterns/kits. Especially when powering on the unit.

Made a first pattern earlier, saved the kit and the pattern then powered off and went and did something else. When I powered it back on it was there but sounded different.

The swing was set really high. I hadn’t even got to accessing those options in the function bit so I dunno how I could have done this myself. Plus it had actually automated it. Started on 1 and jumped to 7 halfway through the pattern. I had to follow the manual and clear the automation. Saved and powered off, came back to it later and this time only one sound is playing. Checked mute and solo and all is normal. Eventually worked out it had changed the routing of the outputs… so I had to reset that.

I’m excited to experiment with the sound and get to know it but this thing wasn’t cheap either so I am a bit concerned if this could be hardware related or if the firmware is just to unstable for basic operation… Have others had issues like this or could it be something I’m doing somehow?

1 Like

The issues you mention were real but they have been mostly addressed in FW updates. Did you install the latest one (2.5)? It’s not perfect yet, I think, but several problems have been solved.

About patterns sounding different, the thing might come from the tremolo or vibrato not starting at the same time as the last time you powered on? (If they were set on slow values)

It’s also easy to record stuff unknowingly with this machine :-/

It’s still quite quirky - and shouldn’t be so, considering the price, as you point out - but the sound is something!

1 Like

Thanks @Omar, I jumped straight into using it earlier and found I wasn’t able to copy a step on a pattern! So after that I updated the firmware. I noticed the patch notes saying this issue was fixed and sure enough that’s now fine (my unit was on 2.1 I think).

Unfortunately all the issues I’ve described above are happening to me on 2.5. :disappointed:

To be fair I don’t mean to be down on it with the price comment, I understand it’s boutique and a small operation. As of this moment it seems to be loading okay again, I will give it every chance because like you say I am already enjoying the sound of this thing. It looks like I can also get in touch with them directly if need be. Just wanted to see if there are others on this thread that have had issues with Saving/loading etc recently.

1 Like