Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

I must have lucked out - I received mine (fast shipping with dhl) last week, only took 3 weeks from order to delivery. The build quality on mine is impressive, everything solid and responsive. The sounds are gorgeous in my opinion, it really invites and rewards sound design.

4 Likes

Iā€™m happy for you :slight_smile: ) this makes me think that Thomann hasnā€™t been honest because I ordered on October 20th, so not sure if TE messed up or if Thomann overbooked with no shame.
Enjoy it, I decided to wait on mine, it says 2-5 days before shipment -_-
I think is the only piece of hardware I really want at the moment

I was really psyched to find out about the MegaFM. Watched a bunch of vids, listened to a bunch of sound demos. I am hooked. Itā€™s the perfect piece for the sounds and workflow Iā€™m after. I was just about to pull the triggerā€¦ and I found this thread about all the months of waiting and ā€œno communicationā€ and some crappy build quality and some good build quality, and the, ā€œuh-uh, Iā€™m outsā€ andā€¦ now Iā€™m scared to throw down the money. I guess Iā€™ll keep watching to see if people start getting theirs and what condition theyā€™re in. Dang, i really want one.

2 Likes

Mine was a preorder and itā€™s been fine, Iā€™ve been able to exchange emails with him in the past. It sucks when small vendors get overloaded by success (and our current pandemic no doubt.)

Donā€™t blame anyone for wanting to wait a bit if a few good targeted reviews blew up sales.

2 Likes

Expanding is the most difficult part for a startup (for example knowing when is the right time to hire). If you do it too soon you lose money, if too late you lose customers and reputation.
TE should improve social presence because I can wait patiently for months IF I know the reasons behind the wait.

As someone else said by the way thomann didnā€™t windraw the money from my Paypal yet, I appreciate at least that

I bought one on reverb, second owner, and the build quality is very good. Really having fun with it, it definitely has its own character. Noise floor is negligible. I love the Plogue plugins and in my random opinion the sound character isnā€™t superior on one or the other, but the Mega has a distinct dirt to it and touchy little flecks of digital glitching that I really like, others may not.

2 Likes

by hearing the demos and playing with the Plogue Iā€™d say MegaFM has snappier envelopes but it might be the converters as well.
I canā€™t get the transients I hear in MegaFM demos from the Plogue

Any consensus as to which would be more expedient to order from - Thomann or T-E direct? I think Thomann might be a bit cheaper. Anyone receive theirs from Thomann recently?

I can only say that Thomann doesnā€™t windraw the money from Paypal till they asctually ship

Thanks.

I just scored a mint condition one off of Reverb this morning! Very stoked.

1 Like

Wow not talked about for months. Did it really fall so flat?

Went out of stock just about everywhere end of last year and I gather theyā€™re struggling to make more very quickly.

2 Likes

How do u feel it compares to Opsix?

I donā€™t think they do compare, really.

If you want a super versatile digital FM synth that will cover a lot of bases, get the opsix.
If you want a super focussed instrument that gives you the sound of old 90ā€™s FM chips, get the MegaFM.

1 Like

Actual use is not directly correlated to GASsy posts on gear forums.

This, Iā€™m not going through this thread to verify but I believe there was a favorable Youtube review from a popular ā€œinfluencerā€ that got a large backlog sold theyā€™re working through.

1 Like

yes. Not even the best review out there but Cuckoo is very entertaining.
I thought by now some people would sell it on Reverb but it is not so.

Of course, but this one garnered a lot of interest up front so the wonky ratio of pre:post release talk seemed surprising - seems availability is the main issue anyway

1 Like

personally, i was turned off by the numerous reports of shoddy build quality on release. that plus a history of it with other products of theirs, just doesnā€™t seem like a good idea to sink that kind of money into what might be a crapshoot. maybe if theyā€™re cheap second-hand eventually, it really does sound unique and iā€™d love to support a company making weird & interesting devicesā€¦just not with a seemingly hefty chance of it turning into a $600 paperweight in a few years.

1 Like