UDO Audio Super 6 Binaural Synth

sorry if it has been posted already, but this synth sound and look amazingly good! this is really exciting!

1 Like

MPE, plus a button that says ā€œMPEā€ on it? Iā€™m jumping on this bandwagonā€¦

I had the same thought, but then theyā€™d have to change the shape of the control area and probably eliminate stuff on a unit where Iā€™d want all the stuff. I mean, I hardly feel like I sacrifice anything at all with my Hydrasynth desktop, but unless UDO made one big weirdly-dimensioned desktop unit, youā€™re going to be making a sacrificeā€“itā€™s just a question of how big. Iā€™m jumping on this bandwagonā€¦

This comparison with Summit is worth a watch.

1 Like
3 Likes

MusicTech review.

6 Likes

When you release the set, it would be interesting to get complete diagrams or snapshots of the patches.

Patches available from MajorOSC.

Nice patches. 3:58 :ok_hand:t4:
I love my Super 6, especially its ability to go from beautiful to bully in a flash

1 Like

New Super 6 firmware time. Looking forward to checking out the sequencer.

v0.23:

ā€¢ Sequencer
ā€¢ More useful oscillator X-MOD behaviour in oscillator SYNC mode
ā€¢ Added dotted divisions to synchronised delay.
ā€¢ Added dotted divisions to synchronised LFO 1 rate.
ā€¢ Added dotted divisions to EXT CLK synchronised tempo.
ā€¢ Patch name is transferred when saving a patch to a new location
ā€¢ External MIDI clock synchronisation saved globally

4 Likes

Yep, sounds pretty great to me. P6 / OB6 money though, but then thatā€™s a moot point as I wouldnā€™t have space anyway.

I understand the no-screen philosophy but I wonder if Iā€™d struggle with remembering what I did on a given patch with no way of seeing what the saved parameters and assignments areā€¦

1 Like

I have to agree with Nickā€™s overall opinion of the instrument.

The sound is fantastic and the palette is wide, delicate/nuanced, huge/gritty and everything in-between are easy to get to. The oscillators (to my ear) have a wonderfully quality to them. I find myself using modulation sparingly, and often not even using reverb (Iā€™m sorry for this heresy).

The interface is equally fantastic. Itā€™s apparent simplicity belies a lot of options and room for experimentation. The immediacy complements my workflow greatly (which is mostly improvisational).
I enjoy the lack of a screen and donā€™t find it a hindrance, the few shift functions are easy to grok and get used to. The sequencer is functional, but a little disappointingly vanilla - as Nick mentions in his review, the option to sequence lanes of parameter automation would be wonderful.

The build quality is incredible. Every slider, pot and button feels stable and mechanically satisfying, the instrument has a reassuring heft and solidity to it.

It is undeniably spendy, but for me itā€™s worth it. I wanted to consolidate a bunch of smaller synths down into one big fancy polysynth. I considered the P6/OB6 but the Super 6 has itā€™s own flavour that just appealed to me more.

2 Likes

For some reason it reminds me of the Yamaha Reface CS. The sliders look very similar maybe thats why.

Yeah, I bought a reverb unit just to use with the Super 6, and I havenā€™t even hooked it up yet. The sequencer is indeed meh, thought itā€™s nice to at least sequence the pitch bend (Nick didnā€™t mention that itā€™s X/Y), and maybe weā€™ll get more in future firmwareā€“has anyone queried UDO? The OB6 was also a point of comparison for me, but I decided on a wider, modern sound palette, and itā€™s not like youā€™d save any money or get a bigger keyboard with the OB6, and somehow I donā€™t feel constrained by 49 here. I just need that frickin MPE button to start working.

1 Like

What you using for reverb ?

Iā€™ve paired with GFI Specular Tempus

1 Like

Like @okam, I havenā€™t even used it with any reverb yet. I bought a Neunaber Immerse that Iā€™ll get around to eventually.

1 Like

Factory video with performance:

3 Likes

Some nice patches:

ADDED: UDOā€™s opened a new forum.

ADDED: loopop:

4 Likes
11 Likes