Ultimate Bassline Weapon

Any good solid sub bass patch for digitone?

Anyways, my favourite bass weapon for sub is dreadbox Erebus and over top of that i use Nyx for higher frequency. Massive in your face sub and analog madness there.

3 Likes

Bro-1 through an LA-2A type compressor

3 Likes

Good starting points:

• Ableton Operator sine wave.
  • DFAM triangle wave. (Also Mother square)
  • 303 “square”. (I like: none, or little resonance)
  • nord drum “analog” (and FM) wave types
  • Rytm BT / double VCOs
  • 808/909 BD decay looped
  • a “real” bass, played when drunk just right

Etc.

3 Likes

Getting back to this topic - played another live set with 303 yesterday, once again I was amazed how unique it is as a “instrument” - it’s a one big sweet spot, as soon as you know the knobs well and program your own grooves it became super expressive, responsive and intuitive. And not necessary for acid bassline, it could be just a pulsation or minimal melody of 2 - 3 notes, or high pitched resonance things, and surprisingly it could sound like 2 instruments playing together (one low bass line and high pitched rythm melody with accents for example ). And with help of some pedals and processing (distortion, eq, resonator ) it could go far beyond typical 303 acid house…

So the question is - is there anything similar ever existed?

I like DFAM, but most of the time it sounds too static and for live situation there are too many chances to mess everything due to semimodular nature. Looking at Dreadbox Typhon but not sure…

Would love to know your experience.

1 Like

The erica synths db01 looks like a great contender for that job

2 Likes

Yeah, the Erica Bassline is pretty much exactly what you’re describing.

3 Likes

Cool, maybe should try it

1 Like

I think you should too.

Dreadbox Typhon can do all sorts of basses really well, punchy or massive detuned or squelchy acid you name it. Also has very nice fx.

Same for my System-1m, although its fx are weaker but usable. With the System-100, SH-2 and SH-101 plug-outs it has a really wide palette of flavors.

I like my Bass Station 2 for punchy bass lines as well, but although it has an acid filter, I don’t really like it that much for 303 type of sounds.

Also the Peak can do bass well, also FM bass.

For 303 type of sounds I also like the MB33 and TD-3

1 Like

Digitone.

If you don’t want Analog.

1 Like

My favorite is 2 or more Oscillators (two separate synths is even better) with a Lowpass Filter or 2.

One provides tone (Saw Square, Pulse, more harmonics, etc) and the other provides controlled sub bass (Sine, Tri, less harmonics). OSC reset is also helpful for the sub bass.

24db slope is nice for the filter but I’m okay with 12db slope too.

System-1m is an actual beast with those models. I really like that synth.

2 Likes

Octatrack chromatic rtim / octatrack comb filter played chromatic.

Need midi proces.
Not analog but sounds nice

i actually use madrona aalto (vst) for basslines

it’s incredible

1 Like

surprised the 0-coast hasn’t made it into this discussion yet…

The crossfader between a monster “triangle” and the wavefolding is huge for bass

3 Likes

would buy it immediately if I could dim the lights. great features

1 Like

This thread and the 0-Coast thread are kind of reaching a singularity, aren’t they? I’ve often enjoyed the nearly wavetable-like sounds of the 0-Coast, like a weird analog version of the dubstep bass.

4 Likes

I did a very easy mod to dim the lights!

Just opened it and marked each led with a black permanent marker. It is perfectly dimmed now :slight_smile:

9 Likes

smart :slightly_smiling_face:

Endorphin.es Furthrrr Generator, which is a modular twin osc/complex osc with a variety of features and comes with 2 possible VCO cores for the carrier, analog or the digital strong zero core which allows for thru zero FM. It can sound absolutely crazy when used as a 2-op fm and amazingly easy to tune, has a built in wave folder and modulation bus. I often use it as two seperate osc, or mult various outs to layer each with a dreadbox hysteria to make really interesting bass patches.

Wavetable in Ableton Live. Probably the best new instrument live has had for a good while, it’s got a really intuitive GUI…

1 Like