Vacuuming Elektron buttons

Ever wondered about trying it? I did. No horror story here, sorry - it just works really well. This goes for any of the machines.
Our machines rarely junk up over the course of one session or even one week; its over the months and years. My method is simple… around once per week i simply place a nozzle of my switched on vac while the machines arent switched on over the buttons for a few seconds each and also the sides of the screens of the machines to get rid of little bits that build over time… and guess what? my machines work like new every time i use them and never stick on any button. Clearing the bag or dust holder is a good idea just incase but the buttons will not come off. My vac is very powerful by the way.

Silly post really – but just so you all know.
The costly alternative is to get covers i suppose. But i can never afford them.
Spilling beer or coke into the machines will obviously cause more issues than this post covers which is mainly about basic cleaning of internal dust build ups.

Have fun… . and stay clean

4 Likes

I had a small panic attack reading that title :joy:

4 Likes

I kind of had this in mind :)))… but its a serious post:)

What happens if yo accidentally switch to blow on your vac? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i wish it had a blow option id use it on the imac!! they get terrible build ups of dust in them… i keep meaning to get some compressed air.

2 Likes

I do it all the time. No problem yet.

This is what you want :

4 Likes

This is what I use, just put it on the vacuum cleaner and be the dust devil… and I use lots of big, black sheets to cover my stuff when not in use:

vacu

3 Likes

great!

well prepared! nice one

1 Like

I feel like long ago I heard vacuuming electronics was a no no due to potential fatal (to your electronics) static build up through how the vacuum cleaner works. A basic google seems to say don’t do it. Not sure how risky but worth thinking about.

3 Likes

Of course if you have rugs on the floor and on the walls, this could be fatal static.

Even if the Machines are all powered off?

Hmm, I’m not really sure. I wouldn’t say I am knowledgeable enough to give a sound answer on that, logically it seems like it would at least be a bit safer.

You might want to read this before you consider vacuuming electronics. There are special vacuums for this task but I don’t think you want to shell out for one.

:slight_smile:

4 years of doing it i can state that this is not an issue… if it seems a risk to anyone then please dont do what i suggest… a lot of rubbish can be found from online searches too. i can understand this info being relevant to a degree if the machines are on… but they never are when i do it

Yeah I guess I have the impression it is a bit like using those audio splitters like a mixer, sure it’s not likely to break anything because modern electronics are built well but there is always a slim chance, electricity can find some strange paths. I think the thing you should more so not do is open up a synth and directly vacuum the circuit board.

1 Like

rofl

4 Likes

yes pretty much… it is just to make sure the build up of dust just inside the casing doesnt happen … i admit it does seem hazardous but its very affective from my experience. just make sure the machine is off.

Handheld Dyson vac on batteries with a brush adapter

2 Likes

yeh i use this guy too!

1 Like