Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

I totally understand that. I still have the option to return the synth but honestly I don’t think I will.

3 Likes

Just keep it, the wonky buttons will make this synth a collectors item…and glad you like it. Keep posting please!

3 Likes

I honestly think Walldorf is taking their customers for granted by simply not doing the right thing by them.

At least offer to fix it, a pre-paid shipping label and prioritized service, take care of the first paying customers.

2 Likes

You’re right – i misremembered. It’s the Particle engine that allows live input, not the Resonator.

That’s from the Specification page on the Quantum – so i assume that’s the same for the Iridium.

1 Like

The bit crusher on this is glorious!

6 Likes

Just watched the (long) interview with Rolf Wöhrmann. He indeed says that the Iridium is already supporting PolyAT and MPE will be implemented in a future firmware update. It’s is a really interesting synth and I’m tempting to own one. Looks like a very good companion for my Hydrasynth Keyboard.

btw…the interview with Rolf is very interesting, he’s telling in detail about the development, features and feature requests. He also said that the pads are mainly there for configuring the sequencer and the arpeggiator. When he heard the word ‘fingerdrumming’ he reacts with a loud NO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rolf is very cool! He emailed my after I uploaded my Iridium videos and told me a few interesting things about the synth and helped me with something I couldn´t figure out yet.

3 Likes

Curious : What kind of ‘interesting things about the synth’ did Rolf told you?

1 Like

:thinking: Seriously? :smile: I highly doubt this. I personally think it will be more a non seller in a milder way. When the Iridium starts to sell 2nd hand sometime in the future, I think that most will prefer those in perfect, or better condition.

I am curious to know how many Iridiums are out there that have the same problem, maybe it is just a very minor percentage, but maybe most units have wonky buttons. The new Iridium Geneoart got seems to have the same issue.

If I´d own one with these wonky buttons and would want to sell it, something I always take very serious, I would personally feel bad to sell it as a Waldorf Iridium in perfect condition.

I would always feel the need to mention this „minor“, cosmetic problem as a seller and as a buyer I would definitely prefer those that really look (more) perfect. Thats is definitely a disadvantage as a seller in my opinion regarding less value.

I´ll wait and see until I make a possible purchase. :partying_face:

Now that looks like a well assembled unit. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Screenshot from Thomann:

1 Like
  • You ask : ‘‘Seriously?..’’ Answer : No :slight_smile:

• Thomann picture : Photoshopped!

• But when selling it you can always say : it’s ‘the special edition’

1 Like

I will buy the only one in perfect condition and sell it one day as THE SPECIAL EDITION for 10.000 Euro, like the OT advertised in eBay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :laughing: :v: :v: :v:

That’s the spirit! :slight_smile:

Perhaps we can take more of the attitude of Wabi-Sabi — beauty in things that are “imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete”.

I’ve played various musical instruments that radiate this — guitars and saxophones (i love playing classics). Perhaps the problem with the wonky buttons is the contrast- — the rest is too perfect.

The w.b. gets so much thread space, we need a new thread, just for w.b.

1 Like

The buttons just have a little room to move. It’s actually not so bad. Going to play but will take pictures later to show how different it can be

2 Likes

Well, when I buy/bought guitars, old - new, I like a good assembling as well, makes not much of a difference to me, depends sometimes from gear to gear.
Nice, old lookin gear can be very, very charming (guitars!, speakers! 808s) but the Iridium, brand new for more than 2200 Euro should be looking decent as hell in my opinion, like a brand new car, a bike, a kitchen mixer, etc. :crazy_face:

Subject needs more space in this thread as there seem very different opinions on this, so maybe everyone should just accept the fact that this is a damn, bad assembling :rage: … and we can move on :smile: :v: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks! Maybe you want to share your personal impressions, workflow, fun, etc. as well. That would be nice!

Big thank you to Phelios for doing these great reviews. Keep them doing :+1: :heart_eyes: :v:

1 Like

I’m an hour or so into this thing. It is really really deep. I could see myself never playing a song again just getting lost in sound creation with this.

I’m sitting on the couch with it on my lap. It’s really big. And heavy.

The pads are actually really nice to have. Because it’s so big I would be struggling right now on the couch trying to hook a keyboard or linnstrument into this, doing sound design and playing notes.

The perform page is also nice for this because you can experiment with mod wheel and after touch.

So far I’m really enjoying it

7 Likes

This this DSP or FPGA? The Kyra was their first (or “world’s first fully FPGA powered synth”). The engine is the same as the quantum, so I guess this is multiple DSP chips plus a bunch of digital chains as usual?

According to Audio Technology Magazine the Quantum is powered by an ARM processor.

QUANTUM LEAP

Quantum is a bi-timbral, eight-voice hybrid digital/analogue synth powered by a quad-core ARM processor.

It’s safe to assume the Iridium, is the same or similar.

So the Iridium is basically an iphone with a lot of knobs and a metal case?

1 Like

Probably closer to an iPad. :grin: