Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Or a Korg Wavestate, which has a Raspberry Pi inside.

2 Likes

I would say more it is an iPad with controller knobs and a good A/D converter.

I had a Palm Tungsten PDA from 2006 powered by an ARM processor. Funni;y enough when i saw the Iridium i though of an ipad with knobs.

1 Like

Without a doubt you could reproduce any sound I make on this in ableton with enough work. Whatā€™s interesting is how accessible it is. If you wanted to play live you get the full depth in an isolated package.

Iā€™m really excited for the possibilities of this with just digitakt. Get your simple sounds from samples or single cycles. Four perc. Can sequence both layers from digi. Could be my full techno setup (but Iā€™ll probably keep the DN anyway).

I didnā€™t want a kyra before but now Iā€™m very curious what I could do with this, kyra, and DT. I should watch some A4 videos first.

A lot of synths around here may be finding the chopping block soon.

4 Likes

Honestly the Iridium is everything I imagined Elektron would do to the MonoMachine if they ever made a next generation MM with sampling! Waldorf have nailed the spirit of EARLY Elektron and are the new kingā€“hail Waldorf!

5 Likes

The DN definitely holds its own next to the Iridium. Iā€™m finding the Iridium is great for atmospheric sound scapes while the the DN handles punchy bass and plucky bells. Iā€™m loving this combo then I drench it with analog smooth pads of the OB6. At some point Iā€™ll come back to earth but for now Iā€™ll just enjoy the ride!

3 Likes

to be honest, my thoughts have been similar to yours ā€¦ i dont have any of the older Elektrons

given the feature-set from the Iridium it seems to me that Elektron stucks somehow within there DNA

Waldorf on the other hand produced a platform which is open in many directions, i guess a drum-machine with Iridium-power could be possible or synths with just one synthesis-option as offsprings

If your into sci-fi movie soundtracks, the Iridium is the tool for you. All I want to do is make expansive soundscapes with this synth. The envelopes are probably the best Iā€™ve ever encountered on a synth, super responsive and accurate. I like the filters and Iā€™ve been getting some real nice sweeps off it. When I push the resonance I can definitely tell itā€™s digital but holds together nicely. The granular synth is very interesting, you get a lot of control over particle behavior and grain pitch. Iā€™m still trying to figure it out but itā€™s fun to explore. It reminds me of the Morphagene but with a nice display and way more control. Seems like you can adjust the pitch of each particle and the travel of the sample itself. This thing is super deep.

6 Likes

The Iridium is hard to compare to any other synth right now. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s more closely comparable to a powerful soft synth but with an incredible amount of hands on control.

5 Likes

First the wonky buttons, and now thisā€¦

I just read in the Gearslutz Iridium topic about the following issue : ā€˜a small gap between the screen and the casingā€™.

Reply of Waldorf support : ā€œactually, thatā€™s not an assembly error. Due to the construction of the case, there has to be a small gap in this place, which cannot be avoided.ā€

@phelios and @Geneoart Can you check this please?

2 Likes

Looks exactly the same here.

1 Like

Itā€™s kind of amazing that Waldorf hasnā€™t put more effort in putting together this thing. Preventing bleeding from screens is pretty common. No oneā€™s expecting a IP rating with rubber gasket around the screen, but a simple black foam pad under the the seam would have prevented this i.e.

1 Like

What frightens me is the lack of dust covers or decksavers for the Iridium. I know that in a few years I will have at least half of my cat inside. There is also a gap at the bottom end, the LED shines through from the inside. Nice effect but probably not expected.

2 Likes

Hopefully one will be available soon, making them is quite easy with vacuum forming.

Apart from Waldorfs response and the poor assembly the Iridium looks and sounds pretty freaking amazing. So I totally understand why people love it despite the cosmetic flaws, just a shame that the first paying customers should have to accept it for the money they are paying.

1 Like

The Iridium does not play a substantial role in this video but you can listen how it works with other synths in a musical context.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s another video on youtube of a faulty screen now ā€” like, maybe more than a software problem. I swear, if this had come out and looked solidly built, I would have found it hard to resist, even at the price. Such a disappointment to see this shoddiness. And on top of that, they deny there are issues? Maybe theyā€™ll get these issues sorted out, but it looks to me like, at best, theyā€™re selling their b-stock at full price, and at worst, they let out an unpolished product.

2 Likes

Yes I have that as well

1 Like

the Digis have this too (iirc)

2 Likes

I ordered a Iridium a few days ago, delivery in about 8 weeks. I really hope that Waldorf fixed it in the 2nd batch. Although I doubt it according the reply of Waldorf Support ''itā€™s not a assembly errorā€¦ā€™ā€™

1 Like

thatā€˜s a dumb answer anywaysā€¦ because that means their engineers failed, right?

1 Like