Waldorf M

It’s great to hear so much praise for the M. It’s the synth, sonically, that I’ve been waiting for for a long time.
I was wondering if owners could comment on the UI experience? Something about the videos I’ve seen just make it feel a bit clunky. Reaching over the screen to access menus etc. Especially compared to something like the Hydrasynth or other Elektrons.

But more importantly… Why aren’t there more ambient demos of the M on Youtube? As far as I can tell, there’s only one bloke doing them!

Some of my favorites. The demos online don’t really do it justice though. I was completely surprised by this, because normally, I’m pretty good at interpolating what something is going to be like from demos, reading, etc. This was what I thought it would be, but then BAM it’s about a metric ton more amazing than I thought. :smiley:

Also, here’s my little Techno excursion from the other night.

Of course, I’ll be using it for a lot more than Techno, but it just spills rhythmic textures out to excess.

8 Likes

This is some samples I pulled of the M and did a sort of ambient thing with… not fully M because it is being manipulated further but it’s one idea of what one might do with the textures.

It is a little odd but you pretty quickly get used to it, it would probably be more of a problem if I didn’t think it had such a big sweet spot… like comparing it to my Pro 2 experience, which I consider to have a near perfect synth UI but it was still much more work to get my sounds to where I wanted. The UI does lead you to get creative in different ways at times and the list method of source then mod then amount is pretty good. The menu has some options that work really nicely for the mod ctr, like random or coinflip or inverse that you don’t see often on other synths, and makes it feel like you have even more modulation than you would initially think. You can pretty easily make very large range of great sounds just from the front panel also if you don’t feel like diving deeply into the mod stuff… maybe just assigning like one lfo and the free envelope to a couple of things.

7 Likes

Great! Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense. I think I’ll definitely have to still give it a try in person before buying but that does sound encouraging. :slight_smile:

It’s such an incredible sounding synth that I can put up with the UI eccentricities, but the eccentricities are there. Not having access to an LFO destination on the front panel is a weird choice; the modulation modifiers can be a little strange to figure out (having to scroll through to MAX to modulate a parameter directly). It’s true, the Hydrasynth has it beat on UI, but overall the M makes sense; If you want something to modulate the filter that isn’t readily available on the front panel, go to the filter menu (or the wave page) etc.

The only thing I find hard to get a handle on is the wave envelope, but that’s because it has 8 independent stages with 8 separate level controls plus looping with selectable loop points and probably some other things I’m forgetting about.

5 Likes

This thread got to me – and I ordered one from Juno as well. It came (to Los Angeles) in two days. Mind boggling. And as for the synth, it truly has a mesmerizing sound. As for the UI, I found it a little obtuse for the first hour but once I got used to the logic of the menus I’m finding it very hands-on/quick to dial in sounds. I am indeed considering moving out a few other synths now.

4 Likes

When did you order it? I’m a little jealous, I ordered from Thomann and it should’ve been two days but it’s taking like 5 or 6 lol. The big advantage of thomann is a 3 year warranty. Not sure if that’ll actually help me in Los Angeles but they told me that explains the 150 dollar difference. I had to pay 89 import fee too.

1 Like

Plenty of time to re-arrange your setup. :rofl:

1 Like

I ordered it on Wednesday morning and it got here Friday! They had estimated monday but then showed up early.

Don’t worry, it will be worth the wait and the warranty will be peace of mind!

Post from VladiS yesterday at gearspace. 1.08 Host update has some great improvements, like being able to save patches in multimode:

VladiS :
“And yes, I am promise to make everything in the next 3 days to make 1.08 available. Just couple of test, test, and again test.”

:partying_face:

Preordered the new expansion card (additional 8 voices) as well. Seems like only 100 are available in the first batch.

4 Likes

It’s over a thousand dollar cheaper!! How can that be? What is the catch?

2 Likes

No catch, just $80-90 in import fees in the US.

A lot of countries have prohibitively high import duties.

A lot of US dealers are also selling them at manufacturer suggested price because I guess they can?

I’ve also heard that Korg has something to do with US pricing as they actually make them for Waldorf if I remember correctly.

Some people just get nervous importing/exporting things. It’s not s big deal though. I ship my synths globally, and it’s never an issue.

2 Likes

Korg is the distributor for Waldorf in the U.S. They have been screwing the U.S. for years. Waldorf has always been MUCH cheaper in Europe, then you add in the currently weak Euro and it’s a huge difference. You just need to buy a $10 cord from amazon for the M when buying from Thomann or JunoUK (not a whole power supply, just a cord).

4 Likes

I thought I got a good deal buying mine when I paid $2k from a US retailer, but these prices you’re paying are making me jealous! Not sure why I didn’t think about buying it from Europe…

Wow! I just put the new firmware on. That bit crusher is amazing!

I have the Digitakt feeding a chord to the M’s arp, crushed waves, pitched down, and it is the most beautiful digital sounds then tamed slightly with the filter.

It’s like the more you crunch it up, the more pretty it gets. :smiley:

6 Likes

is 1.08 out?

1 Like

Where did you preorder the Expansion Card? Can’t see it anywhere

No, I just didn’t have 1.07 on mine yet.

Log into your Waldorf account and submit a request (top right), asking to put you on preorder for the expansion card. Waldorf will send you a confirmation if still available, or not…
Price is still unknown, but rumours say 400 - 500 Euro. Waldorf will let us know when the card is available and how much it will cost in the end (from the Email I got). :wink:

Update from Vlad: “Highly likely that they will be released within one month or even less.”

2 Likes

It should be out today/tomorrow/anytime, if Vladimir manages it to make it available and ready for release (if testings are fully successful). Checking the update page today regularly, can’t wait to check it out. Held back to get into Multimode too much since it seems that many things may change in 1.08.

2 Likes