Waldorf M

With this particular instrument, it hasn’t surprised me one bit.

:smiley:

Which is to say that I knew what to expect after owning multiple XTs/XTKs over a couple of decades. I was expecting it to be somewhere between a uWave I and an XT, but with SSI ladder filters, and some new options, and a really nice UI. So, my expectations were met spot-on.

However, POST RELEASE, I have been very pleasantly surprised with the features being added in updates, especially going by what they’ve said about using a pretty modest processor. It’s REALLY quite impressive.

This synth really can’t make a bad sound. Even when you make something that largely consists of low bit rate digital noise, it has a character that is just gorgeous to listen to. I don’t want to use cliched terms like warm, organic, alive, etc. but that’s exactly what this synth is. It’s like a living digital entity that responds to external stimuli. :wink:

I’m glad I got it for the import price, but having used it and confirming what it means to me, I would have paid the full US price for it, and never blinked.

9 Likes

It will make wonderful chip sounds, but with a certain added dimension to them as well! It’s like a natural evolution of the chip sound. I can’t get enough of this thing.

3 Likes

That really sounds wonderful!

Immediately when I saw the first demos of it I knew its just a matter of time before I’ll pull the trigger.

I haven’t been a big fan of the way Waldorf synths look but the simple and retro-futuristic look of this is just beautiful.

It’s also cool to see ppl so damn excited about this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That MnM comparison makes sense. There is this kinda similar grit to both of them, while they’re still v different instruments.

Both are future classics for sure, although I think it’s safe to say that the MnM is already a classic in a way…

3 Likes

I very much agree. Long ago I sold my MNM and went a long time looking for the special kind of delicious digital grit I used it for. The Prophet 12 came close with its bitcrusher, but still not entirely there. I ended up buying a MNM again, but I’d say that the M somehow hits the same pleasure spot, just from a different angle or something. Somewhat both smooth and gritty. It’s just an amazing synth!

3 Likes

In reference to my earlier post, would someone be kind enough to try bank and program changes on the 4 parts of a multi on different midi channels please.

I really agree with this, and its such a rarity for hybrid/digital synth to be like that also… like to have such a staggering amount of options and yet to find good sounds so easily. I feel like the P5 or the OBX8 have a similar quality of “it just sounds good” but like 1/100th of the range of the M.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have any Synth Playing Time for a day or two, due to Synth Building taking it all up. I really can’t wait to get this batch out, so I can make some music again! If I do manage to get some time in the studio I will definitely give this a try for you and report back.

I would love to replace the knobs on mine. I don’t like the smooth, slightly too girthy metallic feel of them. You can’t twist them, you have to turn, if that makes sense.

Anyone considered the same? I believe they’re 6mm D-shafts, but having trouble finding ones that would be visually a good match for the M.

What do you owners think think about the M for bass sounds. I’m considering it for replacing a number of synths in my live setup by using it as a 3 part multitimbral synth (I know it can do 4:). It seems really great but I haven’t found many bass patches online

Thank you.

The resonance removes a lot of low end frequencies so if you are looking for typical acid bass sounds I would look elsewhere. BUT it’s great for all kinds of other bass sounds. I love the bass on Mike Huckaby’s classic records (he used a Wave) and it’s really easy to get into that territory. The aliasing on the low end in classic mode really makes the bass sing.

1 Like

True, the filter resonance will remove bass frequencies, (typical of most ladder filters). There’s actually an easy way to make the SSI2144 compensate for this, by adding an OTA in the resonance feedback path. They should have done this probably, but this is standard behavior for the filter type.

That said, this thing is a bass monster with lower resonance settings, or at no resonance. Still, if you want squelch, probably a good idea to add a mono-synth with a different type of filter. Or add an external filter to the M, that way you can use both types.

I still haven’t played with the digital filter much, but maybe that’s an option too. I really want to experiment with that when I get some time.

1 Like

That sounds promising. I don’t really use the 303 kinda sounds very often. I have plenty monos that can do the job if I want it but I would like to have core live setup with less parts :blush:

1 Like

Agreed, the bass gets extreme :smiley: very beefy. It’s just that I’m having too much fun coming up with odd, broken wistful sounds that I haven’t really done much else yet!

2 Likes

There are lot of (cheaper) options for bass sounds. The M has its own character, it’s good also for bass sounds, but I don’t think at the M as a bass machine.
With digital filters I got nice 303/acid basses.
It’s a great synth, but the UI is very nerdy, very unintuitive compared with most of the synths on the market. It’s like you are buying a 30yrs old waldorf. In my opinion.

1 Like

Well the thing with the 303 and M is, they both use ladder filters that decrease bass. If you’re ok with how the 303 works, then you’ll be fine with the M. The M has a slightly steeper slope, but not even by a full 6db, so the M will be fine for base. Just drop the res a touch if needed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice :blush:

1 Like

Sure… I’m not considering it as a bass machine. I’m considering it as a multitimbral synth with an interesting character. But it would be nice if I could use it for bass when playing so I don’t need to bring an extra monosynth. I want to make my life a bit easier when it comes to setting up and taking down the setup in clubs

2 Likes

Wondering if it’s reasonable to expect M keyboard version later next year?