Waldorf M

Dieter says delete.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to answer properly and in full length, I really appreciate that!!

I too recognize the tendency to trick myself into thinking I need something new in order to be creative, absolute BS. The NGNY has been incredibly helpful with that and forced me to honestly admit Iā€™ve had a huge problem with this stuff.

And here I am, GASsing like a fool. Not really even considering buying anything in a long time but Iā€™m 100% sure this will be my next synth when I feel like buying stuff again. At least now Iā€™m easily able to resist the temptation.

Listening back to your old tracks can really be useful in determining what works for you as itā€™s easy to lose perspective with these things. As an example I used to be so much more creative with modular in the beginning but when I had collected my dream setup I had nothing going on. I was just lusting after the recent cool toys and was miserable bcs of that, unable to face the reality lol.

That is a cool stand but luckily itā€™s not uber expensive in case you want another at some point, also itā€™s very unnecessary, rather just a nice bonus. :slight_smile:

Goddamn I want to try one of these sometime soon.

By the time I will allow myself to buy one of these there will probably be even more cool stuff added. I have never been heavily into wavetable synthesis but this synth has made me a lot more interested.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t check the reviews of the M because my taste in wavetable synth sound is so specific that I didnā€™t anticipate ever wanting a new production wavetable synth and had no idea Waldorf were revisiting it.

Clicked on a video in my recommendations and was instantly like ā€˜wow, I need thisā€™. Then it was ā€˜oh well, itā€™s lovely but Iā€™m never spending Ā£1500 on a synthā€™.

Then a few weeks later I was spending Ā£1500 on a synth.

4 Likes

No.

1 Like

How do you know?

1 Like

Out of memory on the device. No new features, perhaps small fixes.

2 Likes

Welp, it sounds incredible already so definitely no biggie.

1 Like

Itā€™s almost a relief :smiley: it is what it is. (Ofc bugs should be fixed)

2 Likes

Because the M is that good.

Whatā€™s stopping me is the fact that I live in Canada (import fees). What would be the best thing to do to pay less? Buy directly from Waldorf, from Thomann or ā€¦ ?

1 Like

Hehehe thatā€™s the best possible reason!! :slight_smile:
Of course it can be nice to have new functions to a synth but it can also be exhausting and distracting in some cases, and if it doesnā€™t need anything itā€™s best left like that.

Maybe wait until there are some second-hand ones available?

1 Like

I think Juno has the best prices rn and my import fees in the US were about $70. The base price was much lower than any of the used prices Iā€™ve seen. Shipping took 2 days.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!

My experience with Thomann was great!

Iā€™m in the US of course, but import duty was like $84. If itā€™s too high in Canada, you could always run it through a US friend if thatā€™s an option. Iā€™d do it for you. Not sure if the double shipping would be better than your import tax though. Something to look into.

Thanks for your offers, I really appreciate it! Iā€™m trying to get the M in my local store products. I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible but they will come back to me shortly. Iā€™m keeping your offers in the back of my head. :pray::heart:

1 Like

for that reason, i had to tell myself to never get into modular again. even though every day i see new modules i want. its easy when you dont have a case, because then you just say ā€œwell if i want this, iā€™d have to spend at least $400 on a case, then im not going to just have one module, i need to get everything in my modulargridā€ or whatever

but i also do actually believe that switching up my setup is helpful for my creativity at points. specifically the getting rid of things part. i do think that paring down to just the M outside of my elektron stuff will be good. and i think this synth specifically allows you to focus more on the music than patching constantly. not that its too ā€œlimitedā€ or anything. its just very easy to immediately find mind blowing timbres with it. the front panel is really great

i ordered mine yesterday from Juno, but im thinking i should have chose UPS because dhl is saying it will take 6 days. Not bad considering itā€™s international but itā€™s typically faster

anyway i am actually feeling really good about this decision. i have been missing this synth since i let it go. weā€™ll see how it goes. i really think thereā€™s nothing like it and that juno price is unbelievable

ALSO, i wanted to ask about what people are using for stands again

i was very close to buying the ultra slick FOnik stand again, but decided to try and find something slightly lower to the desk and with an angle closer to 20 degrees with adjustable height. so i found this thing:

cheap enough that i can send it back or even keep it for something else down the line if it doesnt work. but also has adjustable height in the back and is 4 inches less wide than the M, and 1 inch shorter in the back. so im thinking it might be good

i was looking at Ableton Push 2 3d printed stands, but most of those are from etsy sellers in europe and the M has a weird dip in the bottom where the vesa holes are, which is actually a good shape, but makes me think the stand has to be a little more precise or uniform where the Mā€™s feet go. The fonik stand has holes exactly where the 4 round feet of the M are so it holds it in perfectly. i might end up just getting that again. im not sure i want it as high as a vesa mount would be on my desk. i prefer it to be low but angled slightly forward

*UPDATE: DHL doesnā€™t deliver on weekends??!? What year is this

Have people had better luck with ups from Europe to America?

2 Likes

I have a couple of these for my desktop modules, super solid and very adjustable (both height and angle [edit: width too!]). Holds something as heavy as the M no problem, even tilted way down.

5 Likes

Nice to see these stand suggestions. If I have one ā€œcomplaintā€ about the M is that itā€™s a little unwieldy. I was surprised at the dimensions of it - especially the depth (front to back). Itā€™s nice and spacious but If you have a keyboard or interface in front of it, it can feel like a reach to get at the knobs in the back (and hard to see the screen well). I definitely need to find a way to give it more tilt.

Sounds very familiar!!

There are definitely benefits in getting new stuff from time to time but the constant hassle and eyeing new stuff is way too distracting for me. I really want to just see properly what Iā€™ve hoarded during the last few years.

Awesome! Lets hope youā€™ll get it soon!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got a reply from Waldorf, telling me to send my M in for Service. Damn, again, why me :crazy_face: 6 month ago the Iridium and now thisā€¦ , but so far I have not heard of anyone having the same problem. Gonna ask them if they can install the expansion card as wellā€¦

1 Like

Sorry to hear this. Also, sorry I didnā€™t get a chance to check on mine for you yet. I havenā€™t managed to get into the studio in a few days.

1 Like