Waldorf M

They are wav files that you can load, sampler-style. They’re not very long though. I think the feature originates from the OG PPG? There’s a set of the original wav files floating around the internet which i loaded on my M. Very dungeon synthy :smiley: but very cool!

Agreed about the documentation — right now you have to skim the Gearspace thread for info, which is hella suboptimal.

1 Like

I can confirm what @Encephalitislerthargi writes above - the new filters are utterly lovely and add even more weirdness and grit to an already great synth. I have made some lovely broken FM-pads already. Have not tried transitions yet - there is so much to explore already!

And for what it is worth, the update went painfree with the newest RC4-version of the files, and I have met no bugs yet.

5 Likes

Did they start shipping the pre-ordered expansions now? Any news on the availability of new M units with the expansion installed already?

I believe the intention is you send your unit in to be upgraded.

1 Like

Remember that some of the new filters effects are attached to the “extra” parameter on the next page, I really love the wavefolder personally.

The transitions come from the idea in the waveterm unit that went with the classic PPGs. https://ppg.synth.net/waveterm/wt_lib.shtml I believe this is where people get all the classic waveterm samples. Some of them are easier to find loop points in than others but the jank kind of feels like a part of them in the M. The idea mostly being you use them as a short transient before then going into a wavetable. Some of those classic vocal and choirs are really really great in there.

3 Likes

I know, but I don’t have a unit yet. :slight_smile:

I had 2 issues when I upgraded to 1.08, RC4:

(1) Got a steady high-pitched tone in the headphone out that hadn’t been there before (didn’t check the main outputs). USB was not connected.

(2) A patch I had built with one of the old factory transitions (samples) suddenly developed a click at the start that hadn’t been there before. (This may have been caused by some change in the default settings as of 1.08, so perhaps not a real problem; given that issue #1 was a dealbreaker for me already, I didn’t try to lengthen the VCA envelope attack, to see if that would fix the click.)

I rolled firmware back to the last (5th) version of 1.07 that Vladi posted at GS, and the issues above vanished. Of course I also gave up the additional 1.08 features.

Obviously not everyone who upgrades to 1.08 is having these issues … so FWIW.

2 Likes

i haven’t tried any new iterations of 1.08, but when i tried the prerelease vers i had the note off issue whereby patches would play into eternity if played via:

1. doepfer lmk+
  2. octatrack
  3. monomachine

I’ve noticed the high-pitched sound mentioned above. It’s on the main outs on mine, and only with whichever version of 1.08 I have installed. It’s not on every voice though, so if I keep tapping keys, it will go away until it hits the voice that’s doing it. I believe it’s a calibration issue, and completely software.

That aside, this thing continues to surprise me every time I use it, and I believe it has now toppled the XT/XTk as my favorite synth of all time.

7 Likes

ive had other gear with octatrack note off problem … so i use digitakt.
not an ideal fix … perhaps theres room for options on the M to accommodate different implementations of midi standards per midi channel… i wouldnt expect the monomachine / octatrack to get an update.

1 Like

Interesting , same behavior with mine (first version of 1.08). There is a high-pitched noise but goes away when playing some notes and come back.

3 Likes

heh, definitely not a solution for me. i’m sure they’ll fix it.

Hmm sounds like I’ll stick with 1.07 until 1.08 is fully cooked, thanks all! It’s out for delivery right now!

2 Likes

I got an email from Waldorf and they said since I live in the US that Korg USA will do the chip install upgrade for 8 additional voices. I’m waiting for the Korg email now

4 Likes

Thanks for confirming the high-pitched tone thing. I notice someone on the GS thread with the same issue has now documented it (tracked the frequencies of the tone and everything) and passed the info onto the developer, Vladi, who’s also on the thread. So hopefully a fix shows up eventually.

Right now the M firmware seems to be slightly in flux, as Vladi tries heroically to honor user requests at GS for more features, which in turn generates more iterations of the firmware, which generates more bugs, which generates still more iterations of the firmware. Vladi has added a lot of good stuff to the M that was never originally promised, and I’m cautiously optimistic we will get to a stable firmware with all the new treats.

3 Likes

Darn it. I was planning to purchase a M this week, but might hold off until the firmware’s stability is improved. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

FWIW, I personally don’t think waiting is necessary. There’s some slight kinks that Vladi is either gonna iron out or remove the additions that caused the problem. It’s now in the stage where he’s doing some subtle under-the-hood stuff, or things like exposing some VCA scaling settings that I don’t even fully understand, for the possibility to slightly alter VCA behavior. I’m confident it’ll be 100% solid within a few weeks, and totally OK in the meantime.

4 Likes

As Josker said, you could try buying an M now. If you try Firmware 1.08 and have problems (which not everybody does) just roll back to 1.07 for now. No one has reported hardware problems.

If does seem like there’s some back and forth at GS about how Multimode works on the M (which is irrelevant to me)—so if multitimbrality is a dealbreaker for you, you may want to take a look at the recent months of the GS Waldorf M thread. Maybe someone else here can chime in on how Multimode is working.

2 Likes

The 1.08 firmware are not officially released yet. But we have been given release candidates. Which still need some work. M is still awesome in the 1.07 fw

5 Likes

same, also asking if i can do the installation myself. they said they make suggestions to korg usa and they usually accept their suggestions, but i won’t know until i’m in touch with korg usa.

1 Like