Waldorf M

This is a nice combination, but not cutting it ergonomically, so a stand that you recommend that will give the synth a more steep angle will also make it easier to reach. I think that will be a good solution!

@HBIII Thanks for reminding me! Yes, I thought about that. I really like that they included VESA mounting holes, but I might not be able to mount a VESA stand on this table, and want to be able to have the this setup a bit more mobile. Otherwise that would probably be the way to go here…

4 Likes

Anyone having issues with overloading the output of their M? For example if I start an init patch and turn the master output volume to 3 o’clock then if I play 4 or more notes I start to get a crackling sound. I am wondering if this is typical behavior (and I am just going to have to keep the master output volume low) or if I am going to have to send my M back for a replacement (I still have a few days before my 30 days is up).

I am on version 1.07 of the firmware from the waldorf website.

Here is what I am talking about:

hmm I can play all 8 notes with mine with out distortion but you do have to watch you input on your mixer past noon as the M can pump out some decent levels. If I use negative trim on my mixer I can run the M at full master volume but not all mixers have negative trim.

do you have an easy way to tell if you are clipping at your inputs?

1 Like

So you can start an init patch with master volume on the M at 3 o’clock and play all 8 notes at once with no crackling?

I’m not clipping my audio interface inputs or anything. It is the M’s output itself that is crackling. I can hear the same thing on the M’s headphone output.

hmm I take what I said before back although it seems at 3 I see the crackle happen at the 5th note even with attenuating it back on my mixer, my levels to my speakers were just low so I wasn’t really noticing it. I wonder if this is so in multimode you can have one part pushing a mono voice at similar levels to a poly part if you want. I pretty much always keep mine below noon.

1 Like

Interesting, I usually have my synths around 3 o’clock as this usually gives the best signal to noise ratio without any chance of distortion. I didn’t notice with the M until now because my studio was under construction and I had been using it with the headphones out and master level around noon.

Anyone else mind reporting if you have this behavior or not? I think I only have 1 or 2 days left to make a return if something is off…

It’s a common behavior to reduce the volume when playing Chords. After all, you are stacking notes more or less in the same frequency range.

I’ve honestly never ran into this issue with a synth before. I’ve always been able to play all the notes at once with the main volume at whatever without serious distortion. I was thinking about getting the 8 voice expansion for the M, but if I am having problems with just 4 or 5 voices maybe not lol.

Just made the test, I have the M connected to the sound card (ferrofish pulse) with a gain of 12dBv. With the master volume at 12 the sound card input starts overloading with 3/4 notes sounding.
The M output is hot like hell.
If you have to turn the master output at 3 (with 0 resonance) you have to search for a problem in your cable or sound card or audio card settings.
I understand, and agree, about running devices output high is always better. But in this case you are probably running too hot. I suggest to check your sound card input level.
I have a Prophet 6 and an OB6 at the same input level, the volume on these synths are always at 95% max. So we can assume that the M output level at 50% is similar to the Prophet6/OB6 output level at 95%.

2 Likes

OK, I measured the outputs and you are right, the M is hot. I used the init patch, M output volume at 3 o’clock, and the outputs straight into my audo interface (calibrated to 0dBFS=+18dBu). 1 note is about -14dbfs, 2 is -10dbfs, 3 is -6dbfs, and any more and the M’s output starts to distort, but the output doesn’t raise much more. I’m using a prism titan with verifile enabled so it will alert me if even 1 sample clips and it doesn’t. So it looks like the M can get loud, but not 0dbfs loud. I guess I am just used to setting the output hot for signal to noise ratio and adjusting with attenuation or boosting at the mixer/interface/preamp/whatever.

But for my piece of mind would you mind just setting the M to init with master volume at 3 o’clock (and turn your mixer/interface down so the mixer or interface itself doesn’t distort or clip) and see if you hear crackling on the M outputs when you play 4-5+ notes at once.

Now I want to check all my synth outputs (OB-6 etc.) to see what they are at level wise :smile:.

just tested, at the sound card minimum input gain, and M output at 3, I can play 3 notes, the 4th starts saturating the sound card input.
I suggest to put the M master at 1 and tune the input card for this level. If you start at 3, you will probably will not have enough room to compensate for high filter resonance levels,

also, you can try with a different cable and/or a different sound card input.

Darn, so your interface is distorting first I guess. Well, thanks for the help and recommendations!

Edit: actually I just realized you could check with the headphone output since that can be separately attenuated while keeping the main output at 3 o’clock.

Hi

Been trying to find out how to save a patch when I’m in multi mode. Is it not possible?

Meaning I have 4 patches selected in the arrangement and make adjustments to them to make them fit better together. Is there a way of saving the individual patches? Or do I actually have to exit multi mode and go to each patch and remember the exact changes I made and then save them in single mode?

I think its normal that the output distorts with the main level set high. As others have noted it is a hot output. Ive had other synths like this. The synths that dont behave like this usually needs to be gained alot if you play a mono patch as they must have the headroom to make room for all voices when a big chord is played. I usually have the main volume at 12. And adjust depending on the sound i use.

1 Like

It should be possible in the 1.08 firmware. But it will replace the original patches if you have edited them. Dont remember how you save though.

Aha ok thanks. I’m on 1.07. because I thought the 1.08 was still in beta and might not be completely stable yet? I have a gig I’m planning to use it for next week. Do you think the current 1.08 is stable enough or are there any big bugs that would be problematic in a performance?

1.08 fixes some bugs and adds some features. I don’t think there’s a stable version yet. Depends on what features you need. Bugs do not affect everything.
If you find 1.07 stable, then I suggest to go with it.

I would not upgrade before a gig. All sounds with short attack times have a click in the 1.08 that is pretty annoying. But some people dont mind it. I do as i like a consistent attack on percussive sounds.

2 Likes

Ah that sounds like it could be problematic😊 I guess it’s a bit either way then as it would be much easier to edit patches together in multi mode.