Waldorf M

Nice to hear and happy to read your happiness!

Mine should arrive today. Which is great because I have much time alone this weekend.

Should pair well with the new H90 :wink:

Are there voice-like wave tables in the M? Something to approach those haunted rhythmic chords heard in old house music? (Hard to describe hehe)

3 Likes

haha! You lucky one ! I saw it too and nearly bought it online a few days ago. But hesitated!
Nevermind, happy for you ! Enjoy !

Oops!

Itā€™s a really strange story. I started gazing for it on the same evening, I canā€™t even remember how. I watched a bit of the loopop video.

Tried to go to sleep and couldnā€™t sleep, the M was singing in my ear. So in the night I checked prices, thinking it would calm me, but then I saw that offer at Justmusic and pressed Ā« buy Ā»

If I donā€™t gel with it I could offer it for the same price instead of returning itā€¦

1 Like

Vladimir has posted on Gearspace about there being a possibility (far off at the moment due to shortages etc.) of an expansion board which would convert the M to having 8 voices with Polivoks filters. Good lord.

I wasnā€™t that bothered about the voice expansion since I donā€™t often use a lot of voices and have that niggling feeling that a potential M keyboard will come eventually, given Waldorfā€™s history. The variety of Polivoks filters would be hard to resist though!

3 Likes

Thanks, I got it. If anybody else wants to give it a try: Itā€™s a really subtle interplay of Envelope times/levels, Waves mod level and Wave/Phase. Start with setting the Envelope modulation, and as soon as you hear random noises/crackles, work you way through different Waves/Phases (start with small Phase numbers) and refine each parameter.

M arrived yesterday evening. So far, I find that it sounds amazing, kind of special and stands well next to my sub37, OB6 and Nord Drum 3P which I all consider having a strong presence.

It is also beautiful! Really slick. The top panel is well layer out and after a quick round in the manual I feel I can program it all right.

With Waldorf Iā€™m a bit doubtful about software sometimes behaving weird, based on my Blofeld use. Weā€™ll see.

Iā€™m just at the beginning but first impressions matter for me.

I regret the lack of categorization for presets. There are a lot of them, 5 or 6 lists of 128 sounds with no apparent organization is difficult (like, how do I remember which ones I liked most?)

I believe it will stay in the family :blush:

4 Likes

The method I was using when going through the patches is to just save them over in a user bank when I find ones I like and build out a little collection thereā€¦ I usually make a few edits/tweaks to them as well anyways. But yeah a favorites would have been nice.

2 Likes

Yeah, letā€™s do it ! But I think you will like it ! Enjoy ! Any feedback already ?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good idea!

Love it so far :blush:

1 Like

As I probably isnā€™t the only one addicted to decksavers for my gear, I just wanted to spread the good news that Decksaver has finally made their cover for the M.

Sadly, shipping from their webshop to Denmark is quite insane (Ā£53!), and canā€™t seem to find it anywhere else, but here hoping Thomann or similar within the EU gets it in stock soon!

1 Like

As it seems the same decksaver fits the M and the Iridium (not verified by me), thereā€™s that at Thomann:
Decksaver Waldorf Iridium ā€“ Thomann

A tip for M learners like myself - the original Microwave manual explains things better than the M manual regarding a few things, like envelopes and some modulation aspects. It doesnā€™t all apply and M has more features, but it did help me to read it today:

6 Likes

Mine arrives today. Iā€™m pretty excited. Planning to have it set up initially through BIM and BAM for fxā€¦ I have a feeling that will be a great combination.

I canā€™t believe how long I slept on this synth. When it was first announced, I didnā€™t look closely at all because I felt I was already well covered for wavetables (mostly in Eurorack). When I finally watched the Stimming review a week or two ago, I was blown away by the sound. It seemed so punchy and well defined while also having grit and character. Iā€™ve heard that quality in every demo Iā€™ve watched since (almost all of them!) and am hyped to finally hear it for real in my studio!

2 Likes

I donā€™t think this one fits the M due to the different placement of knobs on the different synths. The newer one they have made has space for knobs everywhere.

2 Likes

Ah alright!

This would be a mistake that I did last week. Thomann said they could try to make a special order for the new one that fits M but havenā€™t heard anything more

1 Like

Just ordered the new Decksaver for the M!!

2 Likes

This synth is quite amazing! Today I came about great sounds just while exploring and learning.

1 Like

I have just heard back from Thomann, that they will get the new version in stock start of January! :slight_smile:

3 Likes