Wanna Play a Game? (GAS warning)

Warning: This post could induce GAS for gear you don’t need. Feel free to contribute, but always know that you can make music with anything, seriously. All you need is the inspiration to do it. To prove that to myself once again, I made a straight knocker on an OG Circuit loaded up with custom samples just last night and I have much better gear in my studio to work with. Moving on.

So, to the point, I came up with a game for electronic musicians, bedroom producers, real producers, dawless jamsters, (no, autocorrect, not jawless hamsters, lol), justforfunsters and gear enthusiasts. Please fill in the blanks in a comment if you care to participate. Please just ignore the thread if you think this could be too triggering (or don’t want to give away your secrets😎). Okay, here’s the details:

You are an electronic music producer who makes music in a ton of different genres but prefer to never really commit to any particular genre fully.
You have plenty of money to spend on a brand new setup. Not, like, Every piece is $10,000+ kinda money, but you got a wad of dough and it’s time to rebuild the spaceship. You are starting from scratch in this imaginary game, well, for the most part.

You already have all of the utility pieces, which includes a MacBook, one of the best DAWs (which one do you like the best?), nice headphones, top shelf monitors, an ace audio interface, great microphones, cables galore, and an excellent desk to set everything up on. You are also in a great room with good acoustics and room treatments in a location where you can get loud anytime without pissing in anyone’s coffee or tea. So you basically have everything you need right?

Okay, it would be funny to just end the post right here. But no, I actually have made a game for us So, sorry it took a while for me to get to the actual list, but work with me here, please fill in the blanks. What would you buy?

Synth 1: _______________
Synth 2: _______________
Synth 3: ________________
Non-Synth Keyboard: ___________ (Ex: Rhodes)
Sampler/Workstation:_______________
Sampler 2: _______________
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: ______________
Drums 2: _______________ (if an actual drum set, which one?)
Effects System: _________________
Effects 2: _________________
Effects 3: ________________
Mixer: _________________
What DAW? ____________

*Bonus: what are your 3 favorite bands /artists?

**Edit: Bonus 2: Guitar? Bass?

Post-edit: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Too real for me lol

11 Likes

I started doing this and realised that most of my answers are gear I have already.

8 Likes

But that’s what I want to know! What you would re-buy!

:rofl:

Okay I’ll play:

Synth 1 =Virus Ti polar (have it)
Synth 2= a big ass mf modular full of mutable instruments, Intellijel and make noise etc in a big beautiful case (sort of have it as I have 9U 90hp of modular, ideally I’d have at least double)
Synth 3= DSI OB-1 (keyboard version) (don’t have it yet)
Non-synth keyboard= they make non-synth keyboards?
Sampler= Elektron Octatrack (have it)
Sampler 2= OP1 (had it, had to sell it at one point because I needed the money but I’d love to pick up another one eventually)
Drum synth/drum machine= Elektron Machinedrum UW (have it)
Drums 2= an acoustic kit half top notch stuff and half junk all mic’d up and running through effects (wish I could have it as drums are my main instrument and what I’ve been playing the longest but where I live now I can’t have an acoustic kit, it’s on my list of first things to buy once we buy a house)
Effects system= Elektron Octatrack (using as a time based effects unit is :ok_hand:t4:) (have it)
Effects 2 and 3= I would build a massive peddle board with everything imaginable from the zoia to all the eventide stuff and more other than that I’d do everything else in software, Fabfilter bundle, Waves bundle etc (I have the software part of this but really want to build a peddle board I just haven’t been in a place where I can drop that kind of money on just effects yet)
Mixer= no preference but probably a big ass analog vintage board
DAW=Ableton (have it)
3 favorite bands= Radiohead, Boys noize, Kastle
Guitar/bass= I’ve been wanting to pick up bass but no nothing about what’s good but if I could yea I would add a nice bass

This is an interesting exercise I noticed that a lot of the stuff that I own and love didn’t make the cut (like the Moog, grandmother, DSI pro 2, Korg minilouge XD and more) but I also noticed that a lot of what did make the cut are things I already own as well.
Didn’t particularly trigger GAS more than I normally have other than wanting more modular and the OB6
t e c h n i c a l l y I have everything I need to make anything I want which is good to stop and think about sometimes

EDIT: forgot to add sampler though I already listed it as my effects unit also will add if I own what I mentioned or not

1 Like

Seriously though I have projects in Ableton right now that are Trap (like DJ Smokey and SOUDIERE), UK garage (like U kno the drill), lofi hip hop (dilla inspired), straight techno (like MATRIXXMAN), Jungle (old school style) and just heavy bass stuff (like Trouble and Bass/Drop the lime) I have no shortage of ideas or creativity but a serious lack in follow through
genre commitment is one of the main reasons I don’t finish things I guess I could make several styles under different alases but I’d be happy just to finish something

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll start it off then…
Synth 1 : Osmose
Synth 2 : Nord G1
Synth 3 : Analog Keys
Non Keyboard Synth: A Clavichord
Sampler/Workstation: MPC X
Sampler 2: SP-404 MKII
Drums: Syntakt
Drums : Nord 3P (already have)
Effects: Zoia (already have)
Effects 2: H90
Effects 3: WMD Geiger Counter Pro
or, actually, since that’s really hard to find, and I just watched that video Donovan posted, I’ll switch to Jekyll & Hyde!
Mixer: Something that also records, TX-6 maybe, L20, Model 24, Onyx 24, whatever. Or maybe two Roland MX-1’s, lol.
DAW: Bitwig

Bonus: Legendary Pink Dots, Radiohead, MF DOOM

Bonus 2: Sure, both.

Edit: oh cool! people are playing now!
Edit 2: added drums

1 Like

I have songs in just about every genre I can think of except pop country and Turvan throat singing. :rofl:

1 Like

This is the kind of gold I was looking for! Thank you sir!

1 Like

AHH gotcha. In that case, I’ll use a key:
^ Already have
~ Already have in a cheaper model

Synth 1: Nord Rack 2X ^
Synth 2: MS20 ^
Synth 3: Some General MIDI or XG module ^
Non-Synth Keyboard: A nice upright piano ^
Sampler/Workstation: Octatrack ^
Sampler 2: OP-1 Field ~
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: Syntakt ^
Drums 2: Perkons maybe or something else equally huge / heavy sounding
Effects System: Boss GP10 ^
Effects 2: EHX HOG
Effects 3: Strymon Nightsky
Mixer: Why mix when I can multitrack into DAW with my interface?
What DAW? Ableton ^ / Reaper ^

*Bonus: what are your 3 favorite bands /artists?
Autechre, Genesis, Metallica

**Edit: Bonus 2: Guitar? Bass?
Steinberger Synapse~, or one of the 80s models, with a GK pickup. Bass VI~ for bass duties.

2 Likes

I would rebuy everything I currently own.

4 Likes

My dude lists Octatrack as the Sampler/Workstation like a true G (masochist). Favorite bands include Autechre and Metallica. Okay, that makes sense. :joy:

3 Likes

Then what are those things?!

Borrowed @pselodux’s key for stuff you already own. Most of this is at least related to stuff I already have or have rinsed quite a bit. I think the reason these lists aren’t super interesting so far is that the most attractive part of the hypothetical is having a nice sounding, ergonomic studio space to work in.

Synth 1: Nord Modular G2 ~
Synth 2: MS-20 ~
Synth 3: Waldorf Microwave XT
Non-Synth Keyboard: some old tonewheel style Hammond?
Sampler/Workstation: Octatrack ^
Sampler 2: Ensoniq ASR-10
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: Machinedrum UW ^
Drums 2: pile of junk metal & foley material in a resonant space
Effects System: Quadraverb GT ^
Effects 2: Eventide H9000
Effects 3: Boss RSD-10 ^
Mixer: whatever 90s Mackie makes sense in the space (8 bus?)
What DAW? Bitwig

*Bonus: what are your 3 favorite bands /artists? Autechre, Steely Dan, Drexciya

3 Likes

Lol, made my day! :rofl:

1 Like

I think these lists are all super interesting. And I love yours. Especially…

And…

I now want to try your Drums 2 on some boom bap beats.

I see Osmose is one of the things. Now I’m even more curious.

1 Like

Autechre, followed directly by Steely Dan is so insane and interesting, it almost makes me want to bring back the mash-up. Remember those? :joy:

Edit: Ohh, Drexciya is rad. Just peeped. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

This thread is so weird as I play this game or similar in my head before going to bed every night.

3 Likes