Wanna Play a Game? (GAS warning)

Exactly! I figured we ALL do, so let’s get it!

2 Likes

I’ma weirdo too, like I make gear lists and throw them all away. I play games like this all the time. I was messaging a random naught and thought, why not make this a community effort?

1 Like

Dude, your memes tho, have made several of my days.

1 Like

I’d get these…

Synth 1: EMS Synthi AKS
Synth 2: Technics WSA-1
Synth 3: Modular with Cirklon (Wanted to write Syncussion, but with only three synths, I’ll need a modular…)
Non-Synth Keyboard: Harpsichord
Sampler/Workstation: Octatrack (already own)
Sampler 2: Korg ESX-1
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: Jomox Alpha Base
Drums 2: Plate reverb and various resonating objects with cv triggerable solenoids
Effects System: Symbolic Sound Kyma
Effects 2: Eventide H3000
Effects 3: Ensoniq DP4
Mixer: Midas Venice 320
What DAW? Ableton Live and Reaper

Bonus: what are your 3 favorite bands /artists?
Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten, Blawan/Karenn
Bonus 2: Guitar? Bass? Yes! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Does your gear list correlate somehow with your favorite artists?

To be honest I typed it out but feel superstitious about having a non-mental record of it so I immediately deleted it.

3 Likes

Yes, I believe so. I added it because I need to know who is recommending what. Right? So for my Industrial project, I listen to Schnork and Psy, but for my boom bap project, I would listen to someone else entirely.

Edit: But then also, I don’t really make music that fits into any particular genre too snuggly, so I break those rules constantly, like using industrial sounds and junk in my boom bap, is a great demonstration of this.

Well, that’s because it evolves and changes from time to time, no?

TBH, I think that if enough people participate, this could be a great idea generator for all of us.

Edit: could inspire some of us to try new things.

Either way, I totally understand that too. No worries.

So much Yes in this list.

This is tough. I don’t know enough about outboard effects to give a sensible answer to that part.

Synth 1: novation summit-
Synth 2: pro-3^
Synth 3: Waldorf iridium
Non-Synth Keyboard: Rhodes
Sampler/Workstation: MPC Live 2-
Sampler 2: choosing a sequencer here instead, Cirklon
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: Machinedrum ^
Drums 2: nord drum 3p
Effects System: H9000
Effects 2: quadraverb
Effects 3: some kind of nice compressor
Mixer: meh, I have enough interface inputs in this scenario. Anything that sounds good when overdriven.
What DAW? Ableton ^

*Bonus: what are your 3 favorite bands /artists?

This changes constantly, but Autechre, Alcest, mewithoutYou are always up there.

1 Like

Loving how often Autechre is being listed! Also loving the improvements. The symbols to indicate ownership, or sequencer instead of second sampler. Feel free to improvise. I put the mixer on there to see how many people would actually put the MX-1 on the re-buy list.

Edit: I think we are all literally waiting for Elektron’s response to the MX-1. FOR YEARS NOW!!!

Edit 2: I should have added a sequencer slot.

1 Like

I’ve been struggling about whether or not to say anything else (for now). But my brain won’t shut up about a couple things so…

For those of you who typed something up and then deleted it. Thank you for the effort and intention. Also, I made a special edit(s)* just for y’all :sunglasses:.

I also want to add that my personal list changes all the time, as I’m sure many of your lists may evolve as you research the options available to us these days. Hell, even favorite artists can be a week to week thing for some folks. I still can’t decide between the Syntakt, RYTM, Perkons, Machinedrum, A4/AK, or LXR-02 or the incredible junk/random tool yard sample approach for my second drums after the 3P (probably all of the above, at least through sampling, or if I strike oil whilst digging a grave for wack rappers) and these are just a few of the 20+ drum synth/machine options I would love to have regular access too and my effects wishlist is unfathomably exhausting to even look at, much less to keep track of. Yes, I made that last sentence too long on purpose to emphasize my own insanity over this bullshit. I make more music with what I have than I spend time looking at shit I want though, so whatever.

Okay, I feel better now. Hugs to all who played, read, or judged from afar whilst sipping thier lattes and stouts. I’ma go make something before I crash. Y’all feel free to keep this going. I will always be intrigued by the way other people look at composition and different approaches to making good music. This shit fascinates me to no end.

I have Bitwig with a Launchpad, a Polyend Tracker and TBH I sometimes think about other stuff I might GAS for but I could probably do anything with that.

The ultimate luxury for me would probably be a live room with a drum kit and some guitar and bass amps so I could record some live beats and so on.

1 Like

Really, anything after Bitwig is a luxury. It and Ableton/Max really are really the most deep and complex musical tools available. Bitwig and a Polyend Tracker is an endless nebula of possibilities. I just like thinking about different combinations of soundmakers gathered together in a cave grooving with a pict. Oh snap! My dude got a launchpad too! Gone ahead brother!

1 Like

Just to prove I’m basically immune to GAS, I’ll make a list.

Synth 1: Roland V-Synth (have)
Synth 2: a maxed out Roland XV-5080 (have)
Synth 3: some DSI rack unit, maybe Oberheim 6
Non-Synth Keyboard: Philips Philicorda to pile all this other gear on and use as a table
Sampler/Workstation: MPC Live II retro edition (have)
Sampler 2: Digitakt (have)
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: Nord Drum 3p (have)
Drums 2: maybe a Roland boutique 808?
Effects System: Boss RC-600 (have)
Effects 2: Boss SY-300 (have)
Effects 3: Boss GT-1000 Core (have)
Mixer: Zoom Livetrak L-20 (have the L-12 and love it but I’m always running out of channels)
What DAW? Logic Pro (have)
My own bonus - Midi Controller: Linnstrument (have the 128, but if money was not a problem I’d take the full size 200, thanks.) (My Linnstrument is the most important piece of my setup and makes all the other parts of the setup a little bit better and more interesting.)

*Bonus: what are your 3 favorite bands /artists? Fleetwood Mac, Celtic Frost, Jon Hassell

**Edit: Bonus 2: Guitar? Bass? My trusty candy apple red Fender Jaguar 1994 MIJ, the most beautiful guitar in the world

Long live NGNY!

2 Likes

Synth 1: Novation Peak
Synth 2: Korg Arp 2600 M
Synth 3: Minifreak
Non-Synth Keyboard: Nord Electro
Sampler/Workstation: Make Noise Morphagene
Sampler 2: OP-1 Field
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: Nord Drum 2 or 3P
Drums 2: Syntakt
Effects System: Would put together a Eurorack effects case
Effects 2: Vongon Polyphrase
Effects 3: Soma Pipe
Mixer: Would use audio interface
What DAW? Live

Bonus: Aphex Twin, Sigur Ros, Skinny Puppy

Bonus 2: Guitar.

1 Like

Synth 1: OB6 (Have. Love. Will be buried with it)
Synth 2: Sub 37 (Have. Great workhorse mono)
Synth 3: Virus Ti (Have. Covers Everything)
Non-Synth Keyboard: Nord Stage 3.
Sampler/Workstation: Yamaha Genos (Have. Incredible acoustic sounds)
Sampler 2: Octatrack (Have)
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: Nord 3P (Have)
Drums 2: Roland TD50X (Have.)
Effects System: Eventide H9000
Effects 2: Analog Heat
Effects 3: Moogerfoogers
Mixer: Softube Console 1.
What DAW? Logic

I’d add a nice Strat and a Kemper as the cherry on top.

I’m lucky enough to have slowly built up to pretty much the above setup over the years. This has been a good exercise in that it’s made me realise I’m done with buying gear for a good while.

1 Like

Synth 1: OB-6 desktop
Synth 2: Anyma Omega, assuming it turns out the way I’m expecting
Synth 3: Evolver Desktop
Non-Synth Keyboard: A Rhodes would be fun, but I’m not really a keyboard player, so it would be wasted in me. Instead, I’ll say the combination of a Linnstrument, an RK008, and a T-1
Sampler/Workstation: A 1010 Blackbox
Sampler 2:. KPS3+
Drum Synth or Drum Machine: A pair of ND2s (I have one, and would love a second pair of outs)
Drums 2: An MBase and MBrane
Effects System: 4 of the Mod Dwarf soft pedals
Effects 2: A 500 rack with an Elysia Xpressor neo, Karacter, Xfilter, and another comp with a side chain, probably an SSL G clone
Effects 3: A CXM 1978 and an OTO Bim
Mixer: A Ferrofish a32 Pro Dante with the (not yet released) DSP sticks, and a Joeco Dante Blackbox recorder
What DAW? None.

1 Like