What Are You Power Watching During COVID-19?

Avenue 5 is way too real, just as Veep
predicted the stupid years leading to 2020.

1 Like

Came on here to say exactly the same thing! Well not exactly…i only watched 3 episodes…

The trailer looked completely underwhelming…so i had low expectations, And was completely hooked from the “what was the last thing your parents said to you”? Flashback…

3 Likes

Yeah it was a perfect arc, extremely solid cast, and the ending hit exactly the right tone. Don’t often push tv shows but this one deserves it plus any awards that come its way. Enthralling from start to finish. Will probably rewatch some time.

1 Like

I know what I‘ll be power watching next:
Truth Seekers

And Mandalorian S01 (again)+S02

Enjoyed so far:
Apple TV+
Long Way Up - Ewan McGregor and his buddy ride on two e-motorcycles from South America to LA in a few weeks.
Teheran - really good spy series
Morning Show
Ted Lasso - US Football Trainer becomes soccer Trainer in UK - really funny

2 Likes

We’ve been thinking about watching The Queen’s Gambit, so thanks for that even though I’ll have to put the suggestion on hold. Because of Halloween, I subscribed to Shudder for the month so that the grillfiend and I could watch horror flicks.

If you had Prime this Halloween, you might have gotten the chance to watch the documentary Horror Noire, which traces the history of Black people in horror films, beginning with their questionable depiction and ending with the creative output of Black writers, directors, producers and actors.

If you didn’t watch its brief run on Prime, then Shudder remains the permanent residence of that doc. and many others.

(Horror Noire was co-written and produced by Ashlee Blackwell, creator of the inactive but still-available site, Graveyard Shift Sisters. If you’ve ever wanted to see short and full-length horror films by women of color, that is still the place to find literally hundreds of such films. Without Blackwell, many of us would not even know that most of those films existed.)

But since we’d seen Horror Noire, I subscribed to Shudder for a month so that the fiend and I could access better films in the horror genre on Halloween night and after, since 93% of horror tends to be bad in unamusing ways.

We’ve also been watching the UK series Born to Kill because the fiend likes the lack of sentimentality in the writing and so do I (so far).

2 Likes

last week i have a feeling i’ve seen them all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
zero new stuff in youtube recommendations, it offers me only what i’ve already watched.

switched to drumming vids.

Truth Seekers was pretty good, imo. But I think Nick Frost and Simon Pegg really need to bring Edgar Wright back into the fold.

What have you already watched?

what are you looking for?

I’m a racing fan so I’m catching up on loads on YouTube I’ve missed this year.

Watched Calm With Horses twice the other day, best film I’ve seen this year.

I’m trying to read more, got a couple of John Berger books to read along with The Art Of Field Recording.

2 Likes

I recently finished Black-ish on Hulu.

I also recently finished Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. For the 10th time… Then the following mini series did it to me.

Defending Jacob
The Outsider
Devs
The Night Of
Alias Grace
When They See Us
Unbelievable

We’ve been watching Schitt’s Creek for the first two and a half seasons. It is supposed to be a sitcom and it cleaned the table at the Emmys 2020 with 15 nominations and 8 prizes. During watching those about 30 episodes, I’ve laughed maybe five or six times briefly. It’s a great mystery that this show made it onto the second season as there are great shows like Firefly and Freaks & Geeks that were prematurely cancelled. Who on earth thought that this show deserves another season?

Great sitcoms like Community, Brooklyn 99 or The Office will make me laugh tens of times per episode. I expect that from an awarded sitcom. Every episode we wait for things to take a turn for the better, but they never do. Still it has quite good IMDB scores. I’m baffled. Googling a bit reveals that we’re not alone. There’s been a lot of discussion on the lines of ”Is Schitt’s Creek supposed to be funny?”

How is this the best tv in 2020? I watched the other show that grabbed a lot of Emmys - Watchmen - and I felt that it got those prizes for a reason. It was amazing. Is Schitt’s Creek going to actually become good at some point or are we wasting our time?

2 Likes

“The Patriot” on Amazon Prime. Great series that’s pretty unique.

Since Hulu Live decided to jack up the price I downgraded to a package with Disney+, which is pretty underwhelming content-wise. However, I started watching the Star Wars Clone Wars series.

Only a few episodes in and definitely a kids show, but it has its moments. I’ll stick with it for a while and see where it goes.

I’ve also needed a laugh and the Simpsons and old Warner Bros cartoons does that pretty well.

Apparently I need to watch
Dark and The Boys, and everyone talking about X Files has me wanting to catch up on that too…

Set aside time to watch all 3 seasons one after the other. Without giving the game away too much, you see many characters at different ages, played by different actors, and you really need to pay attention.

1 Like

Synth videos.

I really enjoyed this one today:

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t click with that one either. Made it through about 9 episodes and I just couldn’t bring myself to watch another.

Still, I like Eugene Levy, and I love Chris Elliott and Catherine O’Hara.

For sitcoms, how about Peep Show, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Flight of the Conchords, The Mighty Boosh, Spaced, or weird animated shows like Frisky Dingo and Rick and Morty? Seasons 12-14 of The Simpsons hold up pretty well too.

These Covid times, I have mainly been watching a lot of old black and white movies with snappy dialogue, and cheesy 80s films, and filling in a few blind spots.

5 Likes

Any news on a second season? That show is awesome.

I like the character arcs, the love story is a bit eh, the comedy is definitely light.

A show Community or Venture Brothers inevitably ends because people don’t know how to sell it to a bigger audience. It’ll never have the same viewers that a Big Bang Theory show would draw. (Best of luck, What We Do in the Shadows!)

Forget if I said earlier, but I’ve been pretty impressed with Legendary on HBO.

1 Like

“Queen’s Gambit” series on Netflix was very good.

Just saw “Palm Springs” on Hulu - a fun movie.