What Are You Power Watching During COVID-19?

Since belatedly finding out about Money Heist, I’ve watched a few non-english language things, often Spanish, with subtitles, sadly I don’t speak another language.

White Lines (same writer or director as Money Heist I think, enjoyed it)
The Mechanism (Brazil, great story, rubbish dubbing into English)
Mar Del Plastico (can’t really recommend it, unfortunately, implausible plotting)
La Mante (good)
The Protector (not great, gave up after 1 season)
Undercover (Belgium, enjoyed both seasons)
Dark (really needs all 3 seasons watching in one go. I didn’t, that spoilt it for me)
Perdida (just started on this one, looking good so far).
Vis-a-vis/Locked Up is something I’m considering, but 52 episodes ?!?!)

Powering through The Crown. It makes me loathe what the Royal Family and Tories are all about all the more (Thatcher was horrible) but I enjoy the production values and the validation I get for feeling this way from the dramatised retellings of these ghastly bastards.

Watchmen was good but in typical Lindelof fashion it asks a million questions and answers about 3 of them.

The Queens Gambit was ok too.

I’m sensing it’s nearly time to rewatch The Sopranos though. Been too long since I last watched the Pine Barrens episode…

3 Likes

Not that much to add as I’ve been gaming or trying to make music more, but Ive just seen first season of the Mandalorian and it was fantastic! Better than any of the new trilogy IMO up there with Rogue One as the two proper good star wars media…Gonna watch series 2 with my best mate next sunday as is our tradition.

The boys - always funny/gory which is all I need/
Better Call Saul - Up there with BB…Just a Brilliant show.

As for movies, I tend to watch a lot of older shit, but I thought:
The Lighthouse was amazing
Invisible man, also amazing.
Borat was ok, but lost some of its edge due to the reality of the culture he is satirising,.
JoJo Rabbit was great,
second season of What We Do In The Shadows was superb

Oooo totally forgot LOVECRAFT COUNTRY!!! so very good

2 Likes

Forgot about these two. Both very much worth watching. I think I prefer BCS to Breaking Bad. Jimmy’s story just feels more tragic compared to Walt turning into a horrible shit!

2 Likes

Agreed man, he’s such a likeable and interesting character and his slide into the true face of crime and corruption is only going to end in tears (I’m really trying hard not to spoil anything) I really am worried about Kim.

2 Likes

Tell me, does it get better after the second episode?
Because I really liked episode one, but then episode two was such a stinking hot mess I gave up on it.

2 Likes

Yeah man, at least I’m fairly certain you’ll be drawn into some of more cool/interesting things that begin to develop with all the characters… It’s certainly a bit of a slow burn tho. I started to like i after the first 3 or 4 but then finding out the tidbits of information that neither parent had been able to express in any meaningful way, coupled with the real life events that the Black community had to teach to their children about how to behave/answer whatever questions they may of been asked, by the polis.

Such a tragic story, that came out recently on hbo during the height of the current situation in America…its just very fitting

2 Likes

The 2nd season has been out for over a year now. They’re saying no 3rd season, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will happen.

How to with John Wilson on HBO is a very funny and beautiful show, highly recommend it.
The Queen’s Gambit was entertaining but predictable.
I’m also at the end of yet another Sopranos rewatch, each more enjoyable than the last. There’s so much depth and richness to that show. The perfect marriage of tragedy and comedy.

2 Likes

Finally started Succession. After second episode i’m completely hooked.

What We Do in the Shadows / Flight of the Conchords fans should definitely check out Wellington Paranormal

…my life go by.

4 Likes

Homeland
The Expanse
Picard
Beat

… waiting for the new chapters!

I also started watching Homecoming … but somehow, I didn´t like it.

Giri / Haji on 'flix.
Such a shame Netflix didi it again and dumped a magnificent show after one season, but luckily the ending also felt like an ending :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tenet. I can finally frame-by-frame it and figure out just what the hell happened.

That first movie from 1970 is surprisingly good. The second movie from 1971, not so much. Tim Burton’s was a real disappointment. He went for a spoof or comic horror, and it’s just not the Dark Shadows world.

2 Likes

How did I forget to mention this. Unmissable TV in my opinion but no surprise when it came from a co writer on Peep Show and The Thick of It which are two of the finest shows coming out of uk shores.

Brian Cox is fantastic in it. Actually reminds me an awful lot of my dad. And when you come to it, I can confirm that Dundee does look as big of a shit hole as it does on TV :joy: (sorry Dundonians).

Currently watching Raised By Wolves. Can’t decide if I like or not. There’s definitely a very interesting “something” about it but the whole religious thing is incredibly ham fisted. For something that deals with big ideas in a hard sci fi way it just all feels very implausible in a fantasy sci fi sort of way at times

2 Likes

I didn’t find the film itself too confusing. What started to fry my brain was digesting the wider story later on. Like, what must’ve happened to put the films content in motion. Who The Scientist might be. Etc etc. That’s when the film went from average Nolan fun to coming closer to challenging Interstellar/Prestige & Inception.

Can’t wait to watch it again though.

1 Like

Can you explain how Neil unlocks and holds the door open for the Protag to enter the hypocenter and steal the dingus?

1 Like

I saw the movie ages ago on opening weekend so had to google that bit as a reminder :joy: actually found a good post on Reddit that explains it better than I could have done though!

Spoiler

Forward time:

Dead body rises, blocks henchman’s bullet, unlocks gate, JDW enters and fights henchman, then Ives enters (Inv-Neil is holding gate open), then Inv-Neil runs out backwards and escapes…

Inv-Neil’s POV in backward time: He runs into chamber, waits for Ives to reverse exit, holds gate for JDW to reverse exit, locks gate, and the bullet reverses through his head into henchman’s gun, and he dies inverted

The final act is one of Nolan’s messiest though. I don’t think it was structured particularly well. Almost like it was deliberately trying to confuse…

I’ve seen some explanations, and I assure you, it’s still not clear to me. You’ll see when you re-watch it.

I also saw it in the IMAX this summer, and even thought the sound design was cool, half the dialog was unintelligible. I didn’t know what the hell they were doing for half the movie, though the good guy/bad guy thing and the overall plan was clear enough to enjoy the movie. After reading the script a few months later, I found out exactly how much I’d missed. Also, Nolan lets some very informative visual details go by so quickly that it’s way too easy to miss important info.

I think it’s a good movie, but definitely a level below The Prestige, Interstellar, and Inception, which are all great movies. A Tenet sequel wouldn’t be stupid given where we get to in the first story, and I’d look forward to Nolan getting another crack at it rather than a more conventional writer/director.

1 Like