What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
Very funny and different from what I expected

Stop right now and order this book…

5 Likes

Really is a work of literal art. The stories are thought provoking and engaging. I read that the audiobook version was really good, so I started pairing the two. I do agree with the critics, the voice acting is tremendous and amongst the best I’ve listened to. I also recommend Neil’s Norse Mythology book. It too is an entertaining read and fantastic story telling. Great stuff.

1 Like

Been reading this on and off for some time… I like to keep the memories alive by taking my time with a few pages each day.

The book resonates with my previous life so much. The music might be different but the encounters are scarily similar. Probably the same for most ex clubbers come DJs regardless of style or vintage.

2 Likes

4 Likes
3 Likes

€7.50 in Oxfam :grinning:. Looks like they’ve changed the original order of the titles, so some I haven’t played before.

4 Likes

Finished last night Fifth Season and didn’t even pause to catch my breath before Obelisk.

What.a.ride.

1 Like

+1 for the Broken Earth trilogy, all the praise is richly deserved. I think Obelisk was my favourite of the three but they all blurred into one really.

2 Likes

Yeah it took a bit to get started but I kept at thinking how the three are probably meant to be one big novel and damn was it worth it.

2 Likes

I must have done every one of the FF books when I was a teenager.
I enjoyed them that much, I’ve thought about re-buying them. I think my favourite was actually the Steve Jackson Sorcery series, actually quite hard to get through!

1 Like

Yeah, I think I had the first dozen or so FF when they first came out. Not enough of my friends were into D&D to ever get a proper game going, so this was the next best thing.

Never tried the Sorcery series but the FF books definitely had a different vibe depending on whether Steve Jackson or Ian Livingston wrote them.

1 Like

Gary Lachman of Blondie has become one of my favourite authors. I’m currently going thru his bibliography.

1 Like

Yeah definitely. I think you’d like Sorcery, in general harder than the main FF series, sometimes quite a bit harder I thought. I think they are part way through being re-published so you can avoid tatty and expensive copies from the 80s/90s.

1 Like

Student essays. laugh cry laugh cry I am teaching an introduction to creative writing class this semester and we are having our first workshop tonight (plus I get to read what I’m assigning the students to read). Wish I even felt like reading for pleasure these days.

I started Children of Dune for a second read through Herbert’s original six books this past summer (sad I know) but I ended up bailing on it and listening to pod casts instead.

Just started reading Quincy Jones‘ autobiography and find it quite interesting.

Yeah I really can’t differentiate the three from each other in retrospect, it’s just one very long novel in my head.

2 Likes

The Cider House Rules by Irving which makes me want to re-read
A Prayer for Owen Meany which will force me to re-read
Die Blechtrommel by Günter Grass.
Readings that stick to winter.

2 Likes

I’ve read The Fourth Hand which was fine and have enjoyed Irving’s film adaptations. I know he was friends with Grass, who has always seemed an interesting character. Will you be reading Grass in German?

1 Like

Unfortunately I am incapable of it, when I was younger I read the manual of Dynamo (NI) in German but it was thanks to the technical words that I got there. Grass is a brilliant author and the film which was taken from Die Blechtrommel is one of the most fantastic adaptations I have seen. Irving was also well adapted from what I saw.
Certainly because both bring the dose of madness that makes their stories captivating.

1 Like