What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

I predict that Gary’s new book on Precognitive Dreaming will be excellent.

1 Like

I’d like to start the cycle of The History of Middle Earth as I noticed that the TV series from Amazon will talk about the Second Age…

Really? That sounds very interesting

Here it is:

https://www.florisbooks.co.uk/book/Gary-Lachman/Dreaming+Ahead+of+Time/9781782507864

Dreaming Ahead of Time: Experiences with Precognitive Dreams, Synchronicity and Coincidence

1 Like

One of my favourite Murakami’s. I like the early ones, and Sputnik Sweetheart the best. (I’m still re-reading wind-up bird, trying to finish it before I go to Spain on Friday, cos it is a lot of weight to take just for the last 130 pages!)

1 Like

I got it 12 days ago but still haven’t had time to start it. I’ve read Hard-boiled Wonderland… and just finished 1Q84. I wanted to go back and read an earlier one and heard this was a good one.

1 Like

Q - The autobiography of Quincy Jones
SP2400 manual
The MPC Live Bible

Hard Boiled is a favourite of mine of his.

EDIT to say, but I think Sheep Chase (while it stands alone) makes more sense if you read Wind and Pinball first

Why do we have two book reading threads with almost the exact same title! Can we get these combined?!?

Also, I’m about halfway into a reread of Heretics of Dune…good stuff.

Solid, practical and non preachy guidance for anyone struggling with getting down to business.

3 Likes

Reasonable entertainment. Some chapters on the early Wu-Tang period and the production of the 36 chambers are very enjoyable. I am a big fan of the producer RZA and the early Wu-Tang sound and this book helped me to understand why I dislike the wu-tang forever double album. I always felt the spirit was missing there, and after reading about the flooded studio and the interpersonal issues among some of the members I now understand why.

Not completely down with his religious philosophy and/or the whole numerology thing, and as a psychologist, his “psychological wisdom” seems a bit incoherent. That said, there are little nuggets of wisdom, especially about the artistic side.

2 Likes

That looks interesting, probably my number one issue is actually getting down to business when I actually carve out the time for it!

1 Like

Are you familiar with their religion, the five percent? It’s pretty odd, almost cult like. I read a book about, had no idea there’s such a popular new religious movement native to NYC and all of wu-tang are believers. Half of their lyrics are based on it, and plays a huge role on what makes them lyrically unique I think.

If there was only an Atomic Habits CheatSheet.

Start simple, just learn the four principles.

3 Likes

Nice, thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was vaguely familiar with it but didn’t realize to which extent it influenced their lyrics until recently. I always liked the (relative) philosophical depth of their lyrics without knowing what was behind it (especially RZA and GZA) combined with the rawness of the music, but only recently decided to look more into the background of some of my favorite producers.

B09247XVQK.01.SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500
Enjoying this one very much.
A nice grounding, informative read.

1 Like

I’m half way through this just now. I got a copy for a christmas present.
Really enjoying it so far.

1 Like

Conservative without conscience.

1 Like

Just finished. Wow. Wowwowow.

The level of control of the writing and story was a degree or two better in the Obelisk Gate imo. I’m curious if writing the two differently was intentional…

On to Stone Sky. Miraculously my used book store had a copy (been ereading thus far)

2 Likes