What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

Try and pace yourself, it’s the last one!

1 Like

Telling someone with ADHD to pace themselves with someone they’re hyper-fixated on is like telling the Moon to stop orbiting the Earth: it is what it is.

:slight_smile: Actially I’m not on it yet like I was the others; a few pages only so far. Probably a subconscious effort at pacing; I’m clearing out my head / schedule for the finale.

4 Likes

@Odo Are you the Ursula K. LeGuin expert around here? I’ve listened to The Dispossessed and The Ones Who Escape from Omelas audiobooks. Loved them. What would you advise next?

Have you by any chance read Red Star by Bogdanov? Seems highly probable that The Dispossessed is inspired by it, perhaps critiquing it. Tried to find an audiobook of it but couldn’t. If anyone can help me to it i d be most grateful.

1 Like

I don’t know about expert but I am a fan. Left Hand of Darkness is the other major novel of the Hainish cycle books, definitely can’t go wrong reading that one. I personally don’t think Lathe of Heaven gets enough love, but it’s a stand alone not connected to her other works so it seems to get kinda forgotten.

I’ve never heard of Red Star before, will look it up!

1 Like

Went back to my childhood and went through all 10 books of David Eddings The Belgariad and Malloreon. This time I took the easy way, listening to them as audio books. I have to say the reader did a great job.

“why zebras don’t get ulcers” is a very nice book about stress

just finished “the midnight library,” which was pleasant enough:

https://bookshop.org/books/the-midnight-library-9780655697077/9780525559474

and started “deacon king-kong”:

https://bookshop.org/books/deacon-king-kong/9780735216730

but “dilla time” just arrived, so i might read that instead.
https://bookshop.org/books/dilla-time-the-life-and-afterlife-of-j-dilla-the-hip-hop-producer-who-reinvented-rhythm/9780374139940

3 Likes

In Jan I read Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut.
Followed by Breakfast of Champions.

Currently reading Infinite Detail by Tim Maughan.
Digging it.

4 Likes

Yep, Lathe of Heaven is my favourite Le Guin. Slightly more PK Dick vibes, more sci-fi/less fantasy. Loved it.

1 Like

Finished “Sapiens” by Yuval Harari. I enjoyed it, but reminded me of something similar I read many years ago by Bill Bryson (“A short story of nearly everything”) which, in some points, I liked more. Still “Sapiens” was a good read, though…
Just started the new Michel Houellebecq “Anéantir” / “Annihilate”.
Inbetween I had an anthology of cynics by Klaus Döring. (“Die Kyniker”). A brief overview, the who is who of cynism, if you like.

4 Likes

I just finished «The remains of the day» by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was great; very touching, and funny at the same time.

1 Like

Think I will put this on my “to read” list. Been reading some enjoyable biographies recently and ready for an SF story soon.

1 Like

It’s quite good. The author is into Detroit techno, jungle, etc. Recently listened to a podcast interview with him to get some background and quickly got some context on why I am enjoying this novel so much.

2 Likes

Project Hail Mary - by Andy Weir, the guy who wrote The Martian!

It’s the most atypically written book, it being his second novel, and it’s so out of the box and interesting that I nearly had my jaw on the floor for the second half. My wife made me read it with absolutely no introduction and I’m so glad I did, because the story absolutely took me by the most insane surprise. It was so good, so heartfelt, and extremely smart and trippy.

If you like trippy space math, and astronaut shit half-grounded in reality, give it a shot! But don’t read a single thing about it first!

1 Like

About a third of the way through so far and it’s been wonderful.

1 Like

It is also a pleasant antidote to Cixin Liu’s Dark Forest.

1 Like

I read that and realised I’d been at several of the nights he mentioned. I don’t know anyone else who’s read it… but yeah I enjoyed it

1 Like

Yeah, it’s such an easy read . I’m still page turning when the sun shines and I can sit outside and read… which for me have been limited since last summer. I’ve never been to any of the night’s that he mentions so far but any one of my 500 weekends clubbing could easily have been described by some of the stories he tells. I wish there were more reads like this. Nostalgia of similar shared experiences is as close to a club as I get nowadays.

1 Like

I recently picked up Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo. The book is more about the feeling of playing music and how to approach it rather than about technique. He speaks a lot about “the song inside you” and the idea that you can make something beautiful within your abilities if you play with intention and attention. I think it’d be better as something to leave in your studio to be read a page or two at a time. I watched this video today which reminded me of the book.

2 Likes