What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

I liked What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, though I originally got it as a gift when recovering from a running injury. I haven’t read the others yet.

3 Likes
  1. OTO BIM Manual
  2. Chase Bliss Gen Loss MKII manual
  3. this month’s Future Music
  4. John Kreiter - Vampire’s Way to Psychic Self-Defense
2 Likes

I never finished this the first time - I have a list of half finished pre-ADHD diagnosis books to nail and this is on the list.

I’m making headway with the Ambergris trilogy (only half way through book one of the tome. Enjoying it, and can see some weird parallel’s to Southern Reach.

I’ve just read the 2 first volumes of Locke & Key, by Joe Hill. Wow.

Sometimes you notice something, then understand it’s been under your nose for several pages…

1 Like

I really loved that series!!

1 Like

Kalevala
Struggled with the manual for Ribs granular processor or w the hell the the thing is yesterday. Got 3 grey hairs.
The religion of the Samurai.

1 Like

W. G. Sebald - Austerlitz

Can’t recommend this enough. Ist’s quite a demanding read, but his use of language is simply incredible. Tough story too. It has also been translated to English.

1 Like

Just finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir.

I was initially working through Stephen King’s Under The Dome, but it was just so dark and heavy, it made me anxious. I needed something a bit lighter. I liked The Martian a lot and decided on Weir’s newest book.

For a number of reasons, I’m almost exclusively on audiobooks these days. Music and sound actually play a key role in this story, and the sound design of the audiobook was a nice touch on top of very good reading and narration.

I don’t know that it’s perfect, or as grounded in reality as his first book, but I had a great time reading it. It was a good balance of mystery, sci-fi, and humor, the things I thought made The Martian so successful and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3 Likes

This was the first of his books that I had read, and so far it’s my favorite.

1 Like

This is probably my favorite book to show people and to talk about, and my least favorite book I’ve ever tried to read. The concept is amazing and the execution is great, I just don’t like the writing very much. How are you getting along with it this time?

1 Like

Again with great pleasure, but I like the writing.

1 Like

I thought Kafka on the Shore and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage were great. They have all the magic surreal hallmarks of Murakami and are less of a slog to get through.

2 Likes

A friend put me onto this a while back… just started it and it’s great so far.

I’m shit at reviews, so here’s a link.

5 Likes

Still reading the Ambergris omnibus. On the last book now.

That will be my second trilogy in a row completed pretty soon… So I’m going to keep it up and read Lord of The Rings :smiley:

Finished this one a couple months back, and it was stellar. Be aware that the last third (“Haunting”) is kind of existentially heavy

Summary

That section is about climate change and nuclear waste

1 Like

Nice, thanks… yeah, it’s really great so far, especially his descriptive style. Looking forward to the deeper end section… sign of the times :tired_face:

‘Landmarks’ is another excellent book by Macfarlane.
If you like these kinds of non-fiction topics, ‘A Hunter Gatherer’s Guide to the 21st Century’ by Heying and Weinstein has some really interesting sections too.
"Restoration Agriculture’ by Shepard is also imo a very important book that anyone and everyone can benefit from reading.

2 Likes

how’s this one going for you?

Thanks for the recommendations! His Mountains of the Mind looks interesting also.

1 Like