What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

It’s a good read but I just wasn’t really in a reading mood this year, so I left it there to finish itnext year.

Just finished Call of The Wild and White Fang by Jack London. Amazed by how moved I was but these two.

Just started Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon.

I’m not sure if I’ll make it to the sequel… 2 months later and I’m still stuck half way through Journey to the End of the Night. As hard it is for me to finish I manage to laugh at something on every page or just marvel at his use of language…

1 Like

Very Good.

4 Likes

Just fed my longing to return to Edinburgh by reading Ian Rankin’s latest Inspector Rebus novel. Too bad it was over far too quickly.

This book is fucking ridiculous. I love it

1 Like

Reynolds. Nice.

Infinite Jest.
Tried to finish it 2 times before, now I’m almost through. Man, that book is quite a ride.

2 Likes

Sounds like me and the Octatrack manual :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just came across this free (short) audiobook about Bob Moog

1 Like

Absolutely loving it, essential reading for Darkplace fans.

2 Likes

Wooo! Life, y’all.

5 Likes

Last thing I read was Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu and next up is The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu.

5 Likes

IMO, the best sci-fi in the last 20 years!

1 Like

I had some air travel come up, so powered through Gibson & Sterling’s Difference Engine. As usual for those two, it could have been published today just as it is. Probably will need a re-read in a few months.

2 Likes

Just finished Greg Egan’s The Book of All Skies last night.

A word of warning: Egan’s novels are the hardest of hard science fiction. Not because they are perfectly grounded in fact, but because Egan is an amateur mathematician, and his settings usually involve a heavy dose of mathematics. Reading one of his novels might be like reading hundreds of threads about the Octatrack, but without the manual or photos or any direct description of what the Octatrack is and how it works.

Having said all of that, I intended to read only a few pages of All Skies but was rapidly drawn into it and power read it quickly.

I hoverd over the buy button of it recently, did you read a lot of scifi besides this trilogy?

I agree that Cixin Liu is absolutely a top-tier sci-fi writer. I would put him alongside William Gibson and Thomas Pynchon as an author who is writing good “literature” fiction that happens to be sci-fi. I’d put Liu closer to Pynchon than Gibson, as Pynchon is a bit more overtly playful, and Liu is clearly having a lot of fun playing with various genres and tropes in a masterful and seamless way.

Be aware that the first book, The Three Body Problem opens with a recapitulation of some of the darkest days of the Cultural Revolution. If you imagine that Quentin Tarantino was inexplicably hired to write a screenplay for The Diary of Anne Frank, you’d be close to the opening chapter of 3BP.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah. Avid sci-fi fan.

Ancillary Justice is another great one over the past decade or so.

2 Likes