What is the best way to try out modular, before actually starting to build a system?

If it’s about the patch cables, virtual or no:

• Max is the boss
  • VCV rack is fine
  • Some folks like DFAM
  • 0-Coast is a delight, and is still useful later as a sidecar to the rack

If it’s about the freedom:

• Hydrasynth is a thrill… and it’s good for other things
  • SuperCollider will bend your brain into a pretzel and do anything you want… if you’re not afraid of text
1 Like

The two best semi-modulars imo are 0-Coast and Subharmonicon. Both are different enough from conventional synths to give you a taste of modular while being amazing in their own right. And both (I would imagine) would be great with a full modular system.

2 Likes

VCV rack on computer, Mirack on iPad and AE Modular for a low cost hardware introduction. All superb value in their own way.

2 Likes

virtual modular…of course…vcv is kind of the real deal, only in pixels but for free…

all most common and quite a bunch of special modules, from all the little brands, to be found in there as perfect digital clones of the real thing…all the same logic, “just” no real cable patching…

and u might even find out, patchin via a mouse or trackpad does not bother u that much and instead u simply don’t have to spent all the money while instead be able to experiment with any kind of modules out there anyways and even get total recall on all the patches u create…

4 Likes

This is a really interesting point.

Opinion. See for @craig those two options are the best. But I wouldnt want either of them, as I have zero interest in the sounds they can make, nor the infuriating layout of make noise stuff.

Honestly, if you haven’t downloaded VCV already and started playing with it, you’re spending too much time on here, not enough time making noise :slight_smile:

Personally I use mirack, to muck around on from time to time. I also used it to build a mock up of my now actual physical eurorack system, which is basically 2 voices, plus a shed load of modulation. No fx, no sequencer.

1 Like

The main thing you miss out on in the digital realm is 0-latency feedback. Eurorack made me a feedback addict.

1 Like

There are “simulations” like vcv rack, and Reaktor has a modular system similar to euro rack in a sense, but in my opinion it all falls very short of the joy of modular. A lot of modular gear and euro rack kinda sucks and is a waste of money though, and as a whole it’s ludicrously expensive.

I’d recommend just going for a semi-modular piece of gear that could be standalone without a whole system. The 0-coast was recommended above and I’d second that, It’s a fantastic synth. I also love the Strega, although that’s a much less “functional” synth in many ways. It has a ton of personality but it can be very esoteric. I don’t have experience with the dreadbox stuff but that could be a good starting point too.

My main recommendation would be to avoid traditional synth stuff in euro rack. Eurorack is great because of all the bizarre modules that are unique and fun. Getting more traditional stuff in euro rack form is just frustrating because you have all the more cumbersome interactions due to the format but none of the benefits of a hardwired synth. Just getting a “traditional” oscillator, filter, envelope and vca system will be very disappointing.

Make noise is definitely a good place to start. Make noise and instruo are my favorite euro rack product lines because they really take advantage of the format and create some unique instruments, but they are very expensive.

5 Likes

This, and the way you can wire up some cheap “boring” (e.g. Doepfer) modules in a weird configuration to do something totally bonkers. Make Noise are great, as are Nonlinear Circuits, Mannequins, Toppobrillo, IME…

It is stupid expensive, though. That said, for the most part, I’d sell my normie gear before my modular. The latter is just more fun and I learn more from it, even if 90% of the time I make unlistenable bowel sounds with it.

3 Likes

lol recommending Mannequins. I’ve been looking for Mangrove and Three Sisters for years and I’ve never seen them for sale excluding reverb listings that are double or triple the retail price. Those things sell out faster than any other piece of gear that I’ve seen.

1 Like

You’re not wrong. I have been looking for Mangrove for 2+ years myself.

I ended up settling with qpas instead of three sisters and I have no regrets. It sent me down a stereo euro rack path that’s been fun too.

1 Like

I have one. A DNK. I love it.

2 Likes

Great designs! But I would check out anything in the make noise line or the random source serge line first.

I adored the mannequins modules I owned at the time (except W/ which should have been regular module size and had actual controls) but would not buy them second hand now.

I feel guilty that I put in for the last Mannequins lottery on a lark and got to purchase Three Sisters at list price. It’s a fine module (I used it just yesterday, pinging it with three separate outputs from a clock divider for some easy percussive accompaniment) but it’s not life-changing. If I had to choose only one of my filters to keep, I’d give it up for Ikarie. Please don’t let supply factors and buzz make you unhappy.

2 Likes

I find it a pretty large landscape for sound design but you only get one lfo (though OSCs can act as lfo too) and one AD and one ADSR envelope. But you also get S&H generator, a reasonable multi patch bay and more.
Honestly, I want to add some cheap Behringer utility modules or possibly the Proton (if it ever comes out) to get even more mod possibilities but for now, I couldn’t be happier for the price.

1 Like

I got a Neutron first and agree it didn’t really lead to much patching or learning modular concepts. I went with individual modules after that and it’s a blast. I’ve always wanted a 0-coast though and the recommendations here make me want one even more. That with a sequencer and some effects would be super.

1 Like

If I were to start again, I’d probably build-out VCV, but to be honest the whole point of getting into Eurorack was to get more hands-on control.

0-Coast was my gateway. You can cheaply augment it with Cre8audio’s Beast and Pest as a way to escape the sound @LyingDalai mentioned.

The reasons for starting with 0-Coast is that it is probably the cheapest way to explore multiple modules (including a taste of Maths, Wogglebug along with other utilities) and sound creation approaches since it’s a blend between East/West Coast styles.

The reason why I mentioned East Beast and West Pest is because the East Beast can offer a buttery Filter missing from 0-Coast and West Pest can offer more wave folding (both with a sequencer) all while remaining fully desktop compatible (no Euroroack commitment yet, but also all Eurorack compatible if you want).

0-Coast has dynamic filtered gates for designing sounds and it works great until you want something different, which I think makes perfect sense for developing/learning what you want out of a system.

Lastly, you mentioned about diving in to an ALM system. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that unless you discover along the way that you want some other module from a different brand. That will likely happen.

I wish I went all in on some of the Make Noise bundles. It would have been cheaper, but building things up module-by-module did help me focus less on brand and more on what gels with my workflows wants/needs.

2 Likes

Only point against an 0-coast is that it isn’t rackable (well, neatly). If the desire is to go eurorack then it might make more sense to find something that can be transplanted into a rack.

The Moogs, Pittsburgh, Dreadbox semi modulars are possibly better choices for that. 0 coast is dope though either way.

I actually have quite standard voices in my setup - I like modular as much for my ability to create what I want as I do being able to create unique sounds. It’s convenient having everything in a 7u case rather than spread about on a desk. But I would generally agree with the advice to focus more on untraditional approaches. It’s good to experiment and find a fit - this is the main drawback of buying a complete system like the coupe.

2 Likes

It’s rackable, but requires some power adjustments. Plenty of videos for that, but I actually love that it’s separate even after building out a rack.

1 Like

Yea as I say, neatly :wink:

Just saying if the end game is to go eurorack it’s possibly not the best semi modular to start with.

Good one to test the field with though.