What is the best way to try out modular, before actually starting to build a system?

If you go into modular, I highly recommend starting with a single manufacturer system. Semi modular is good this way too. If you buy by the module, focus on a single sound source with lots of control or utility modules first. I also recommend avoiding multifunction modules or those with unlabelled shift functions.

Software modular gives you an idea about patching but not the joy of hands on control.

3 Likes

Agree on this, although I love Three Sisters and I respect the hell out of Trent.

That said, if I was starting today knowing what I know now, I might go for a full NLC rack. That stuff is fun with a capital F U.

2 Likes

ahem leftmost centimetre of 0-coast ahem

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got two racks of modules sat in the studio and not touched in over a year. I just use softube modular now for when I want some bleeps and bloops. I find modular a massive distraction and energy and financial black hole. Itā€™s massively over rated IMHO. If you want to whet your appetite, ask yourself if youā€™re getting it to just tinker and play with or if you want to actually make music or do sound design with a setup. Just wiggling knobs and making squonks is totally cool, my day job is a sound designer though, and I find it overly complicated and frustrating. Like others say, try VCV or softube. Software route is fine for generative patches that play themselves. Otherwise having lots of modules you can just play and perform and express yourself is quite fun, just for me, the experience was more fun than the actual sonic results, which was always a bit lacking.

3 Likes

came here to say vcv rack, but i see thatā€™s been covered. i learned everything i know about synthesis and eurorack modular from omri cohenā€™s tutorial videos and the free version of the old vcv rack with only free plugins

its perfect

but semi modulars always feel kind of half-assed. iā€™d go with something cheap like a cre8 case or the behringer go case and some basics

2 Likes

eurorack is normie gear now. iā€™m seeing more and more people going back to fully built instruments as a way to start making music again

3 Likes

+1 for VCV rack if you want to try without buying anything.
Reaktor 6 is great as well if you own the Komplete thing or already have it, the Block part of it is what gave me the will to buy actual hardware.

About semi-modular iā€™d say the most modular minded of all would be the 0-Coast, here is video i made about it telling how much I like it :wink:

2 Likes

Has it? Didnā€™t know that!

:white_check_mark: Transistor based low-pass gate DYNAMICS

Got to test this further!

2 Likes

Also maybe find someone local to you willing to let you twiddle their knobs! Even a small system can be fun to explore in real life, if you donā€™t have a good shop nearby im sure you have a friendly Elektronaut or similar!

Iā€™ve got enough spares to put a second rack together you could jam with in the corner if you happen to be in the south of the UK :crazy_face:

This is my only intention (for now)

Omri is great! For everyone mentioning VCV: I have tried it and really liked it. But the physical aspect of twisting knobs was greatly missed. Also the fact that it is one action at a time on touchscreen, made it feel not interactive enough.

2 Likes

Thx for all the advice and ideas so far!

I have a colleague that is heavily into modular. Maybe I should get him coffee more often.

3 Likes

Youā€™re probably a good candidate for Modular Addicts Anonymous. Iā€™d definitely go for a semi-modā€¦maybe even try out a full day with your friends system, and if goes well, just dive straight in (slowly).

I tried making it work with a couple semi-mods before accepting that I wouldnā€™t be happy with less than the full mod. Would have saved me some time had I realized that sooner.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think you will be disappointed by just jumping in the modular journey. What youā€™re longing for is exactly what you get, long hours of exploring and totally lost in time: what you get is interesting for the human behind the knobs and spaghetti .Others will mostly listen en watch and wonder what al that noises got to do with music. Donā€™t expect to get productive in a way that delivers tracks that sell big time but itā€™s exactly the opposite: itā€™s a expensive but very rewarding fun experience if you just want to noodle around. Vcv rack gives a taste of it but touching and patching is another level

3 Likes

Great video (also love your Tracker-stuff)! When it comes to modular, the Make Noise stuff has a big draw for me, because it is pretty non-standard but in a good way. Have been looking at a black and gold shared system too, but they are very hard to get. And I would have to save up some more and sell some other gear.

Either way the 0-Coast or a modular system, I would probably want to use it with a Keystep and/or OT I already own.

1 Like

If you can find a used Microvolt 3900 by Pittsburgh Modular, you canā€™t go wrong with that. It is both west and east coast, has uncommon features such as a function generator, an analog sine wave, you can can boost any signal even audio one to modulate a lot of parameters. The filter is gorgeous but you can switch it to an unstable mode if you want some grit.
Itā€™s layout is also less esoteric than the o coast which makes life simpler, it has a clock divider, step sequencer, arpegiator, a pseudo random gate generator etc.
Apart from some wobbly knobs, and the fact it only has one oscillator , this synth is to my opinion a masterpiece.

Edit : And being deep enough, I never wanted to go full modular because of it. I just got a Dfam to complement it, and itā€™s been endless fun and experimenting since then.

1 Like

I believe the latter assertion (although the ā€œmusicā€ in it kinda proves my point), but for example there isnā€™t one shop in my town where I can buy eurorack.

1 Like

0 coast feels like a well designed mini modular system. Highly recommended

3 Likes

Since DFAM/0coast/VCV/SubH have been mentioned I will say Bitwig Studio. Unless it must be hardware.

The entire DAW is essentially a synth and everything can be modulated. This is just icing on the cake on top of The GRID (Poly/Note/FX)

But I would say +1 to 0coast. DFAM is great but the 0 is really modular in spirit

2 Likes

I have tried Bitwig in demo mode, but I have such a muscle memory for Ableton that it just annoyed the hell out of me. Thatā€™s not Bitwigs fault tho, also happened to me with Logic, but couldnā€™t get passed that. Also I found the interface really cluttered.

The 0-Coast seems to be the top favourite with you lot, so that is a really serious contender.

4 Likes

The modular thing seems to be different for everyone. My friend and I got into modular last year together, and his system is completely different from mine. If you go with Make Noise, I doubt you will be disappointed. ALM is another great choice. Those two companies are the basis of my system. Intellijel, Make noise and ALM are my favorite. And of course Plaits.
But, like I said, there are many paths and many destinations.

2 Likes