What’s next for Ess / Fors?

So, is phase shaping the augmenting of the phasor signal before it becomes a sinusoid? If so I love that stuff, I’m looking forward to seeing what shaping you included.

Just bought it ! Amazing idea and amazing instrument !!!

Yes, exactly! Last year I spent a lot of time finding different ways to distort sinewaves and then I worked on perfecting my favorites for Chiral. Still lots to explore though, it’s a cool field.

It’s pretty cool how under the hood it’s all just one phase signal (am oscillator is separate though)

This method also makes it light on CPU, which was a big goal for me - I really wanted to be able to play freely with a bunch of voices in MPE mode.

11 Likes

this is really sick!

Gumroad will be giving creators 100% of their sales on April 7, 2021 to celebrate Gumroad’s 10th anniversary! I know what I will be getting! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Gotta highlight this beautiful Chiral exploration by Oora

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNVCdVwhnxl/

Really appreciate all the good feedback!

7 Likes

It’s official. I adore your work, @ess. Elektron’s loss is our gain.

3 Likes

Oh snap, it’s today!

1 Like

Yessir! Get on it. :wink:

Superberry, come on home!

2 Likes

Wow, thank you! Hehe.
Really appreciate the support. :cupid:

4 Likes

Sonic Talk mentioned Chiral today in the first minutes… that is always good :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Robert, so “phase shaping” is the AM modulation of a phasor signal which is then passed into a sinusoidal wave shaper? Is that what it is? Thanks.

1 Like

I think phase shaping is a rather oblique term, just like phase distortion. I think it’s describing the process quite well though.

You start with a phasor output, this is typically a ramp that goes from 0 to 1, much like a saw-wave but unipolar. This is reading the sample index of a table lookup oscillator, in this case a sine wave. By shaping the phasor in different ways, the lookup will be distorted and take on different, although derivate, shapes than the original sinewave.

For example, making the lookup exponential rather than linear (i.e a curve rather than straight), you get effects like the Bend parameter which causes the waveform to be pushed ‘forward’ and compressed, not unlike pulse width albeit softer.

There’s no rule what this includes exactly, but I think what constitutes Chiral as phase shaping is that one firm rule was kept for the entirety of the main oscillator: there is only one single phasor that is used in various ways to make different complex timbres.

13 Likes

It reminds me how the Intelijel Shapeshifter works.

I thought the same while reading it…

Heads up, doing a stream on Chiral tonight at 8PM CET. :slight_smile:

I hope to see you at twitch.tv/ess_mtsn :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Cool Twitch!

I started watching from the middle. Loved the sounds!

I guess you used a mix of Live 11’s sequencer and Roulette to drive Chiral?

I’m not sure I’m smart enough to use Chiral. Instructions say:

To install Chiral, simply launch the Chiral.alp Live Pack.
Ableton Live will then prompt you to unpack its contents.

Ok, did that, and told Live to unpack into the User Library folder under Ableton

After choosing an approritate location on your drive,
please open the Chiral Live Set.

I can’t find the Chiral Live Set.

EDIT: I told Ableton to create a folder called Chiral. The Chiral stuff was deposited there as expected. However I found that when I have Ableton create the folder, it always put the folder at a top level - it doesn’t put the folder under the Ableton folder in Documents like I told it to. Live 11 bug I guess?

So what’s the easiest and most full proof way to add both Chiral and its presets to my User Library? Copyings files in the Mac OS Finder? Or is there some command in Ableton to do it? I have a feeling I’m going to really eff up my Live 11 if I choose the wrong option.

1 Like

Been toying around with Chiral all day. It sounds fantastic. Quick test:

5 Likes