What’s next for Ess / Fors?

Me too! Unfortunately not. Would love to have access to that screen…

9 Likes

Yeah, I wonder why Ableton doesn’t do this? Even if devs had to submit their plans to Ableton for quality control, approval, etc. Seems like they would want more devs making things that tied in nicely with Push.

5 Likes

A much more compact Push with encoders and dev access to the screen would be amazing. It could really capture the spirit of innovative M4L developers!

6 Likes

These are great. All these fors devices are fantastic. I wish they would move over to Bitwig though. Modulating all these parameters with Bitwig would be incredible.

3 Likes

Bought them this morning and gave them a little workout. Pretty cool, for sure. Already had Chiral, Doublet, Roulette, and Bokeh… can’t wait to use these kit bits to mess with other synths / max devices / vsts.

My other fav max for live bits after Ess’s top-level devices are all by Dillon Bastan… his modulators based on strange attractors, julia sets, cellular automata, and the like are really sweet, as is Dillion’s new one, “Pathways”, a granular max for live toy that is freaking amazing.

Definitely will be hooking these guys devices together…

4 Likes

@Ess can we hope to see a presentation of Kit in a near future ?

2 Likes

That’s a fantastic idea! I’ve never had the need for the grid aspects of Push but a compact controller with the screen, macro knobs, and a few important shortcut buttons would be really, really tempting…

Anyway, back to the new Fors stuff and I think it’s pretty hard to say no to them at that price. I’ve been really enjoying Chiral although it’s pretty heavy duty on the CPU. Does anyone know what these devices are like in that respect?

2 Likes

Ooof, I’m going to have to get into Max one day, aren’t I? I’m a fan of chaos (in the true mathematical definition of the word).

1 Like

Yeah I’m moving to Bitwig too, it would be awesome to have these as VSTs.

2 Likes

bought the kit this morning, my first purchase of your stuff. really liked what i was hearing straight away! need to dig into the sequencer one a bit more.

thanks!

1 Like

I went all in and bought full Max 8 to go with Live Suite 11 instead - pretty much the opposite direction – also because I wanna make stuff that hopefully will be as cool as Ess’s with less effort than writing in C++ and JUCE (which I’ve also done some of). So far, all the stuff I see about bitwig is also possible in Live, and I’m a programmer/Max kinda guy so the grid seems… less powerful in someways to me as a programmer.

1 Like

Thanks for all the kind words!!

Definitely! Will try to find a time to stream soon.

Cheers! Hm, in my experience (and user tests) Chiral has been on par with something like Ableton’s Wavetable, but it might vary depending on your computer, naturally. These are lighter on CPU since they do less - although the Box reverb is on the heavier side.

6 Likes

Kit looks lovely, I think it’s joining my collection on my next payday! Thanks @Ess for continuing to innovate and provide us with lovely sound design tools, you have a unique creative ‘voice’ and I’m happy to see you able to express yourself through tour creations. How I wish I were an app developer so I could hire you to make something!

1 Like

There is a hacky way to access it as used by Sigabort’s P2D (Sigabort - Electronic Music and Software Tools) – I reverse engineered it and it works by killing the Ableton Push Display Helper process when you want to show the custom display, then taking control of the screen from another process with the Push display API (e.g. GitHub - Ableton/push2-display-with-juce) before the Ableton helper can restart (by which time your other UI has taken over the Push screen).

Then when you exit the custom UI, I think the Ableton helper just keeps retrying until it can connect so you just exit your process and it takes over (could be wrong about this, it was a while ago).

But yeah, pretty hacky solution and also doesn’t allow you integrate custom UI elements with native Ableton ones as you have to take over the whole display.

The other possibility is you could probably hack around with the Push 2 QML and SVG assets (e.g. see /Applications/Ableton Live 11 Suite.app/Contents/Push2/Push2DisplayProcess.app/Contents/Push2/qml/) – Push actually works by rendering a QML (QT’s UI library) UI on your computer then sending frame buffers over to the Push – and/or the Python script that controls the Push, but this requires messing around with the user’s Ableton install and isn’t an official API so requires lots of reverse engineering and liable to break whenever there are updates.

I do feel like there’s a lot of untapped potential with Push. Can’t believe there’s still no official Ableton way to map a custom set of parameters/pages for a VST plugin (I built a hack years ago to do this which is why I’m quite familiar with some of this stuff, but I ended up not keeping it up to date, partially because I thought Ableton must release their own solution for it soon!), and it would be nice for it to be more open to developers.

5 Likes

Yeah, I know about it - nice work!

I meant more having access to making things for their Push environment within Live, which needs official support. I agree that there seems to be a lot of missed opportunities with Push, especially with the Max for Live stuff - people would make a lot of cool things.

5 Likes

Agreed. Seems like an odd oversight but then anyone who’s worked with tech knows that what seems like an easy win to a user could actually be some nightmare of untangling loads of legacy code or whatever!

1 Like

forgot to say how glad i am to see a formalized version of what seems to be the 17-EDO(i think) patch you posted on IG stories sometime recently. sounds incredible!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I’ve been really into different tunings lately. Having a lot of fun exploring different octave divisions- hoping to have Scala import going forward too. I wish DAWs would allow you to divide the piano roll too so I wouldn’t have to count in my head so much hahaha.

The tuning subpatch is originally made by Sevish here, I simplified it a bit and made it inside a Gen (control rate) object for readability - very nifty setup (Sevish is credited inside of course)

7 Likes

Great ! it’s pretty safe to say that i will get Kit based on the excellent experience of using Trio and Chiral, but it’s always a treat to listen a creator talking about his work.

1 Like

Looks and sounds cool. One thing I can’t figure out from the vids: how does sequencing Pop work when it’s in microtonal mode?