What’s next for Ess / Fors?

FWIW, these devices have got me seriously engaging with Ableton again after a loooooong Eurorack-only period. I think what I really like about them (well, the Kit devices particularly) is that they really feel like they’re designed like Eurorack modules: amazing sound, 8 well chosen parameters that can have a dramatic effect across a sweep and eat up modulation super nicely, great interactivity with each other. Pop is kinda like having a super focused Digitone module! Finally bit the bullet and ordered the necessary gear to send CV back and forth between the modular and Ableton, so looking forward to testing this analogy to breaking point - really inspiring stuff :smiley:

3 Likes

Bought Superberry with the summer sale. Now I have them ALLLLLL!!! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

This sounds so new school ! Max was out many years before Live. Actually Live was prototyped in Max.

8 Likes

I love that it’s so goddam focused and yet seems to provide so much variety and depth.

Like an evolved version of the Model series. Not many knobs to tweak, but boy do those knobs yield results when you learn how they operate together.

1 Like

Max/MSP is the deepest rabbit hole invented for an electronic music artist, so much fun and interesting in every regard if you’re a little bit of a curious personality… you can open that door and never make music again hehehe

3 Likes

Great for interactive video elements as well!

2 Likes

Yeah, I just did that too and I’m feeling weird that I hadn’t paid too much attention previously because I’m not that much of a supersaw person… but this is really nice with the brightness really low and just the ocassional automation up to sprinkle in some lush harmonics that are diffused with the bokeh delay… I don’t know if there are any differences between the inbuilt bokeh and the standalone version but this really caught me off guard with how lush. Will need to play with the standalone bokeh more I think…

Superberry was the first device. Based on an exchange here with Ess back then, where I had complemented part of the sounds in the demo version I tried, Ess said just wait, you’ll love one of the next devices… And lo, the in built bokeh was developed a little further and pulled out into it’s own device and was part of the next set of device releases. (If I have this wrong, I apologize – but that is my slightly hazy recollection)

2 Likes

My iMac struggled when we recorded just 6 simultaneous tracks of audio into Live 11, without any additional plugins loaded.

This recent experience is pushing towards ordering an M2 13" Macbook Pro. I’d finally be able to utilize more of the potential of these wonderful Fors devices too.

Same reason i didn’t take Superberry at first, but with the release of v2 and the experience i had with all the others, it was impossible to let it pass.

I’m having a blast since i grabbed it and the sonic possibilities are wonderful.
I’ve barely scratched the surface, but it’s clear that there is an awful lot the make out of it.
The same goes with Doublet, Chiral etc, but these days, Superberry 2 is the main toy.

Also, standalone Bokeh is wicked awesome.

2 Likes

Are these Fors plugins M1 Apple silicone compatible?

Yep!

3 Likes

Okay great, thanks!

Track 1 (Entry Interface) on my next EP, 05, features Fors Superberry. Track 2 (Slow Wave Rhythms) contains a sample from track 1.

6 Likes

I bought Chiral yesterday and damn its neat! I don’t usually connect with soft synths and more with hardware synths. Its sweet spots everywhere. Single waveform export function is a really welcomed bonus. Romb and Pluck is amazing as well. Bra jobbat @ess!

4 Likes

YASSSSS :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Glänta, Dynamic FM Synthesizer

13 Likes

A treat indeed.

1 Like

Picked mine up 10 hrs ago when seeing the release video on insta first thing this morning. Ess/Fors has become my favorite max developer, followed by Dillon Baston. Ess is at the place where it is basically a 'take my money please!" from me…

6 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

Same here. I’ ve just posted a quick first try with it on the Current Sound thread…
An instant Fors favorite …well ok, that’s the same thing with each new release TBH.

So Glänta is an unexpected side project dropped before the Big One.
I repeat : The Big One !

3 Likes