What’s next for Ess / Fors?

are the updates for Opal available from Fors.com ? or elsewhere?
ty

check your Gumroad dashboard

2 Likes

thank you.

Ess talking about Opal live now 20 PM CET:

5 Likes

Creeping myself out with Opal

11 Likes

lols

6 Likes

I’m a bit confused at how I fill up the banks with slate? I can drag one sample in, but the bank/slot won’t move up or down :confused:

Left click the slot number and drag up or down :+1:

1 Like

anyone tried sequencing / controlling Fors stuff from an elektron box?

1 Like

Thanks @Ess & Fors, the UI for this is gorgeous & makes all the difference to the experience. It’s extraordinary to use an instrument where there was never any need for presets, everything is so accessible and present. The flux is very interesting, creates fantastic background textures.

I can confirm that this has helped me. Haven’t had one crash since I use the latest Max for live version from Cycling74.com. I’m very happy about that! I’m on MBP M1 Max and I am using Glänta and Chiral.

I wish I wasn’t in the midst of moving so I could work on new features! All these nice comments and cool sounds that keep popping up are really making me inspired. Got some cool ideas brewing, but might take a little longer than the last update, heh… Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback - keep it coming!

I imagine that the standalones in a drum rack could be quite fun with an Elektron box! Haven’t tried it myself though.

Thank you! Super nice to hear.

Also good to hear. The crashes we have seen so far all point to an issue in Live and we’re trying to fork over our findings to Ableton.

10 Likes

Can confirm that using the Fors synths, especially the Kit synths, with an Elektron is super fun because of the 8 MIDI CCs and the 8 sound design parameters on Lux and Pop.

If only the Models had MIDI CC functionality for the sequencer. Or even a Models:Sequencer! :star_struck:

5 Likes

@Ess Okay, sounds good that’s its worked on. The only issue I have had with Glänta the past days are stuck notes. It has happened 2 times the last few days, so it’s not often, but it’s a new issue.

I also have 2 feature requests:
Glänta - would be nice if you could add monophonic mode = 1 Voice.

Chiral - Would it be possible to integrate Chirals matrix into the push integration in the same way it works with Wavetable on the push?

1 Like

…treat is showing off again…may all the fors be with us…
live right now…

10 Likes

Watching this is just causing me stress because i was going to buy opal at the end of the month on pay day but how im being tempted by the other apps

Is there ever a package deal on sale with a collection of the apps? A bundle?

1 Like

If you want to get up to speed on Opal quickly, this show & tell with @Ess is worth the three (!) hours, there is so much there throughout.

6 Likes

My bad, I really thought it could be done.

It’s tricky with Gumroad to do bundles… But send us an email, we can probably work something out.

No worries! I’m sorry that my response was so blunt, I just wanted to make sure that there are no misconceptions about what we can or can’t do. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I know Opal is designed to be a drum machine, but as a fan of ambient music with a rhythm like Tim Hecker or Fennesz, I can’t help but see the immense potential of the granular sampler and granular resampling effect connected to the step sequencer as a way to create that kind of music. Usually if you want to go in that direction you’d almost have no other choice but to use a Max MSP patch called “ppooll” (which the 2 artists mentioned above are heavy users of), which is extremely buggy and difficult to get running properly or to wrap your head around.
So thank you, @Ess & Fors for creating this instrument.

Now I’m kind of hoping that someone will take this concept and put it in a step sequencer device with multiple granular sampler tracks that can then be fed into the granular resampling effect. The soundscape possibilities would be crazy (as would be the potential load on the CPU, which is why this might not be such a good idea after all).

By the way, can it do portamento and parameter slides?

3 Likes