What’s next for Ess / Fors?

Ah, that’s very nice to hear! We have a few friends that are super into ppooll actually – especially the granular stuff like gg.rainer. Funnily I looked into it while making Slate and found that I had a very similar approach to granular playback as gg.rainer! Felisha is way into ambient, we’ve been talking a little bit about what a groovebox for ambient music would look like. Maybe one day, heh!

It would indeed be quite CPU heavy with that many granular players … In a perfect world you would be able to choose what each track in Opal does, but that sort of dynamic structure poses a lot of issues for this kind of Max for Live device.

No portamento or slides, no.

12 Likes

It seems there is a new version of ppooll

3 Likes

Hi Ess,

Loving using all your devices, very close to pulling the trigger on Opal.

EDIT: found the manual.

Also, I’m wondering how easy it is to expose the Push knob control banks for all your devices (please :slight_smile: ) :-

Pluck, Lux, Pop, Romb, Roulette,Jog, Hue, Box, Dot and Ego, could benefit from direct access to their parameters via Push knob banks
I know you can map the controls to macros but there are two significant drawbacks to this:-

1. Live 10 (still VERY popular) is limited to 8 macros
  2. Once grouped (to take advantage of macros) the instruments loose their links to the presets which show conveniently on the Push screen (1&2 - I have a 1) when selecting devices.

Doublet and Bokeh could benefit from named Push control banks like Gianta does (including a convenient ‘Basics’ bank) currently they are named Bank 1, Bank 2, Bank 3,etc.

Thanks again!

5 Likes

I bought Glanta and I like a lot the sounds from it.
Anyone now if there is a way to show numbers in the parameters? When I change parameters I can see that the icons change (get bigger or move…), but I would like to know the numbers to fine edit this parameters. Can Glanta or any other Fors instrument show the numbers of the parameters?

He answered this higher up in the thread.

tl;dr it’s not so easy to do

Not sure what you mean here exactly – Glänta has all the parameter numbers visible underneath each control, with only some rare cases being obscured. They are all however always accessible when you change the controls.

It’s on my looong to-do list!

7 Likes

To be clear, adding full Push 2 support for Opal is unlikely due to how the Push integration works with Max, but adding the parameters for our other, more normal (hah), devices is easy.

4 Likes

This is vvvvv straightforward to do yourself if you don’t mind opening up the device in Max, details here What’s next for Ess / Fors? - #418 by dokev. Just make sure to save the device after you’ve edited it so the banks are stored. You can also edit bank names on the live.banks object.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Took about an hour to do all the Fors instruments and effects I have. Although for me, double-clicking on the live.banks thingy doesn’t work and just switches to renaming. I had to use Open Object from the Object menu.

Sorry for the confussion. You are right, Glänta shows all the parameter numbers.

It was the Kit devices that I was playing and I couldn’t see the parameters. I was trying to fine adjust a wet/dry of a reverb.

Now

9 Likes

Opal is the gift that keeps on giving!!!

1 Like

Yep…the more is use it, the more it goes way further than a Drum/Synth system.
I’m excited for future updates, but there is so much to get from it right now !

1 Like

…hi, dear…

how is ur “moving and settle into a new place” plan coming along these days…?

just dropped by to encourage and remind u of ur goals u got to achieve this year… :wink:

the more glances and flavours of opal i’m crossing, hearing out there, i see and feel the need to ensure u, u gotto to lift ur skills (the audible as the visual interface ones) to a next and universal level…

this creation of urs has the potential to become a timeless piece of software for years and years to come, a truu next level microtonique goes beyond kind of thing, if u “only” make it a vst/au/clap/standalone plugin for everybody to enjoy…

fors must become an independant, universal third party plugin company…!
no way around it…2023 is all urs…and so would be all the rest of this decade…

opal alone is a truu 100 bux plus plugin worth every penny…go for it…

1 Like

sorry if it’s been discussed and just wanted to chime in. that ‘brightness’ is quite similar to Ableton’s font. it’s not Futura. It’s a custom font only used by Ableton.

Only just seen Opal… Ess you’re a legend. Very happy to see you’re pushing the boundaries!

At the same time hoping you’ll one day come back to hardware with Fors.

1 Like

Hello, it seems Opal does not accept aif files dragging ? Same for anyone here ?
In macOS Monterey, Live 11.2.7

…me again, just stressing my point, how much i want/need/desperatly wait for opal to become a “standard” third party plugin…aaaaaaaaargh, make it happen, pleeeeeaaaase…

it’s a lot of work, i know…coming up with a whole own distribution backend, all the add on mainframing, licensing and what not, not to mention all that uberobvious xtra coding efforts…

but hey, it will be totally and absolutely worth it, to make FORS a little but universal company all on it’s own…dooooooooo it.

3 Likes

Same here…no aiff files…only wav

There is hope with the Introduction of RNBO

but I think it will still take a lot of effort to develop FORS instruments outside Max.

1 Like